The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USA Runner finishes relay on broken leg

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...400-relay.html

From the article:
    Runner Manteo Mitchell said he "felt" and "heard" his fibula breaking midway through his lead-off leg of the 4x400-meter relay Thursday morning in qualifying heats. He kept running, going another 200 meters and handing off the baton to Josh Mance. The U.S. went on to finish second in the heat, advancing to the final Friday night.

[...]

"I knew if I finished strong we could still get it [the baton] around," Mitchell said. "I saw Josh Mance motioning me in for me to hand it off to him, which lifted me. I didn't want to let those three guys down, or the team down, so I just ran on it. It hurt so bad. I'm pretty amazed that I still split 45 seconds on a broken leg."
    Wow! A testament to how tough these guys are. Pretty sure I would be rolling around on the ground crying. Hopefully this isn't a career ending injury for him. It's one thing to break a bone, another to continue running on it.

For me that story walks a fine line between admirable and crazy. I admire his strength but like, he could have really messed himself up (worse)!!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I think that there is so much adrenaline running through the heat of that moment, that it gives them ability to power through stuff like that.

So admirable! Now that he has a broken leg though, do they have an alternate to run for them? The article said that they have to put together a new team, but that seems hardly fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

As I understood it, the alternate is LaShawn Merritt, who also was injured in the 400m. If Merritt is unable to compete, they may use a runner from the 400m hurdles.

If you're going to break a bone, the fibula is a pretty good one to break. I broke mine a few years ago (horse ), and could still walk around (including untacking, cooling, and putting away said horse) just fine. Neither the doctor or me thought it was broken until the x-ray. I think it only bears 14% of your body weight, IIRC.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

What a fantastic story! And he's a Catamount from Western Carolina University (just down the road from me). Hooray!!! Way to go, Manteo!

Yup, we're pretty proud of him.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.