The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wahl Bravura or Andis AGC Super 2 Speed Clippers?

I'm shopping for new clippers and am debating between these two:

Wahl

Andis

I've heard good things about the Andis but also had someone recommend the Wahl Bravuras, who choose them after comparing them to the Andis.

Some of the possible benefits of the Wahls are: they have a 5 in 1 blade for greater versatility, the motor runs at a speed based on the resistance of the hair but can run at a higher speed than the Andis. If they don't need to run fast, however they don't, so they stay cooler. They can also be used corded or cordless.

I'll be using the clippers to do a trace clip or a body clip on one horse throughout the winter and for the occasional touch up. My priorities would be easy of use (weight, easy to hold, etc), noise, ease of maintenance, and of course quality of clip.

I'd particularly appreciate hearing from anyone who's been able to use both of these clippers.

Thanks!
    Member of the *OMG I loff my mare!* clique.

If you're doing anything on body, use the Andis.

A trimmer blade will heat up, and you don't have the ease of blade-changing when it does. I have trimmer and a clipper, and use both (depending on what I'm doing that day). Anything around the head, I favor my trimmer. Outside of that, it's clipper all the way. Both of the ones I use regularly are Laube's, but the AGC is my backup clipper.

Just a note on Wahl's packaging -- or lack of packaging. I ordered a different model and they were so poorly packaged (e.g. covered in cardboard shreds from where they had been bumping around in the box) that I was sure there had been some mistake. Follow-up with the place I ordered from said that was standard packaging.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to indicate supreme confidence in the ruggedness of the clippers or a general lack of quality control, but I was not impressed and won't be ordering Wahls brand in the future.

Two big thumbs up for the Andis AGC2 clippers! LOVE mine, they are quiet, powerful, and the wide blade is very versatile. I have trimmed, trace clipped, and body clipped with them and they hold up great.

Another vote for the Andis clippers. I bought these recently and used them to body clip. They were fast, efficient, and did a fabulous job. I love the wide T-84 blades. You can clip a wide path without having to use the hugh Sunbeam Clipmaster types of clippers. The Andis are light weight, my arm did not get tired, and my hand did not get numb from vibration.

My Cushingoid horse has a very thick coat and my Andis clippers are basically overwhelmed by it, they get very hot and I have to quit by the second hour. However, they are very user friendly and lightweight, if they weren't getting so hot I'd be able to do the whole job without having an aching arm or tingling hands.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I love love love my Andis!