The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Before gymnastics fades from memory...

Now that gymnastics is over, I'm hoping one of you COTH experts can answer one more question for me...

There was a piece on Olga Korbut the other night. Like a lot of other people, I guess, I started watching gymnastics back in 1972 largely because of her and have since become an Olympics junkie.

They showed a replay of her uneven bars routine and it looked pretty tame by today's standards, except for that backwards somersault from the high bar.

I was wondering if anyone has done it since and if not, why not?

Is it now illegal, too hard to do, or has it been rendered obsolete by harder tricks? To me, (obviously not a gymnastics expert, just a fan), it still looks pretty spectacular.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

Olga and Nadia both did backward somersaults from the uneven bars. I "believe" that was banned because of the danger. Olga and Nadia were in a world of their own.
    Google Olga (fun to say). She did a movement on the beam where she was on her stomach and brought her toes back to the top of her head. That one was definitely banned because the human body is not supposed move like that.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Now they do release moves instead of the somersault off the high bar with a recatch. The difficulty has passed by the move Olga did, and apparently it's also illegal.

And I believe they said she was in Arizona now. I know she lived a couple of hundred miles from Chernobyl, and was fundraising to help victims from that disaster. She also sent a child to live in the U.S. with friends because she was afraid of contamination of the water and food sources there.
    Last edited by JanM; Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

It's a banned movement. You are no longer allowed to stand on the bars.

Its illegal to do a 'korbut flip', that's why you don't see them anymore, along with it being obsolete. Nadia's beam move hasn't been banned, the USA gymnasts from the early-mid 2000s did a fair amount of similar beam work: http://www.funkyfun4girls.zoomshare....9220/image.jpg
    you don't see it as often these days though

Thanks everyone! I did google Olga and saw that she lives in Scottsdale now. Hopefully happy and healthy. Her website was sort of mysterious (short on detail as to exactly what she is doing), but then those Russian girls always did like a little mystery.

Did not realize Nadia did the same trick. I just remember the commentator from 1972 saying "I gave her an 11!" talking about Olga.

I also did notice that no one does those strange laying down heels over the head movements on the balance beam anymore.

Those I don't miss. They just looked too tortuous.
    Only part of me worries...the other part doesn't believe in it.
    Wings of Desire

I haven't been watching gymnastics for very long but have they changed the uneven bars in terms of how far apart they are? They just seem so much closer in the videos I watched from 1972...
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

There's a huge difference between the floor exercises back with Korbut and Comancei, and now. The gymnasts today have so much more power in their tumbling, and a little less of the ballerina/dancing.

The athletes seem so much healthier and stronger these days - not the waifish, anorexic ten-year-old look. I think it's a good improvement.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    I haven't been watching gymnastics for very long but have they changed the uneven bars in terms of how far apart they are? They just seem so much closer in the videos I watched from 1972...
    Yes! I'm not sure how far apart they used to be, but I would guess around 2 1/2 - 3 feet? Now they're about 5 feet apart. With the old bars it was possible to hook the knees or the hips over the lower bar while holding the upper one. They were moved apart so that gymnasts could do giants, which is when they swing all way around the upper bar. They do have to either arch a bit or straddle to clear the lower bar in giants, though; one of the Russian girls got a deduction at some point for hitting it with her toe.

Quote Originally Posted by RockstarPony View Post
    Yes! I'm not sure how far apart they used to be, but I would guess around 2 1/2 - 3 feet? Now they're about 5 feet apart. With the old bars it was possible to hook the knees or the hips over the lower bar while holding the upper one. They were moved apart so that gymnasts could do giants, which is when they swing all way around the upper bar. They do have to either arch a bit or straddle to clear the lower bar in giants, though; one of the Russian girls got a deduction at some point for hitting it with her toe.
    When I watched the video and saw them hooking themselves around I couldn't believe it! It looked so weird
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

The women's uneven parallel bars started out as the men's parallel bars but adjusted in height, so initially, they were quite close together. Eventually, they were moved further apart to allow the women to do giants like the men do in high bar. There is a really interesting montage of uneven bar routines on YouTube that I've seen. It shows a lot of the skills that have been outlawed

Quote Originally Posted by NEEDS A NAP View Post
    Thanks everyone! I did google Olga and saw that she lives in Scottsdale now. Hopefully happy and healthy. Her website was sort of mysterious (short on detail as to exactly what she is doing), but then those Russian girls always did like a little mystery.

Did not realize Nadia did the same trick. I just remember the commentator from 1972 saying "I gave her an 11!" talking about Olga.

I also did notice that no one does those strange laying down heels over the head movements on the balance beam anymore.

Those I don't miss. They just looked too tortuous.
    Remember Kristi Phillips doing that weird backwards planche handstand thing?

I don't think they have time to do those things and get in all the acrobatic runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    The women's uneven parallel bars started out as the men's parallel bars but adjusted in height, so initially, they were quite close together. Eventually, they were moved further apart to allow the women to do giants like the men do in high bar. There is a really interesting montage of uneven bar routines on YouTube that I've seen. It shows a lot of the skills that have been outlawed
    Ug! I did gymastics from about 1974 - 1981. I remember the repeated bar beats we did wrapping our hips around the bottom bar. So many bruises! Adding the giant swings came in soon after that, but I'm not that small or athletic. No way I could've done them.

Maybe even more than 5' apart...I'd say more like 5'2", pretty trivial, but still if you're too tall its basically impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by teal tea View Post
    It's a banned movement. You are no longer allowed to stand on the bars.
    yep...this! Olga was the reason I started gymnastics. When she did the first back tuck on the beam, the world was all agog, and I, being a brave (maybe stupid kid), started to hurl myself backwards on the school field!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks View Post
    Ug! I did gymastics from about 1974 - 1981. I remember the repeated bar beats we did wrapping our hips around the bottom bar. So many bruises! Adding the giant swings came in soon after that, but I'm not that small or athletic. No way I could've done them.
    Oh boy.......bar beats And if you forgot to set the bars correctly or mistimed, sore stomachs too! Giants were fun until you hit your feet on the lower bar...ouch!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

yes, they are much furhter apart. They used to do those things when the girls swung from the higher one, kind of wrapping themselves around the lower one, then swinging back away from it. Looked painfull...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    yes, they are much furhter apart. They used to do those things when the girls swung from the higher one, kind of wrapping themselves around the lower one, then swinging back away from it. Looked painfull...
    Yep. If the bars weren't set right or you stretched further than usual? Bam. Hip bruises.

I absolutely ADORE Olga. Nobody before or since bubbles the way she did in her first Olympics. I think I cried when they showed that clip the other night. And yes, she's teaching gymnastics in Scottsdale. She'd be on my "bucket list of people to have a chance to visit with in person" - along with Princess Anne.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Momto3 View Post
    Is this the montage you're thinking of? It's really interesting to watch. They really did start out looking like uneven parallel bars, but even by the Olga/Nadia time being discussed here, they were starting to move farther apart, and it was really noticeable by the 80s.