The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,693

    Default So how did the Brits do it?

    Medalled in all 3 Equestrian events, 2 Golds & 1 Silver, including a never-before achieved medal in Dressage.

    With all the talk (prior) of how the Germans are always at the top and the Americans not so much, how did Great Britain manage to do so wonderfully well in all 3 disciplines?

    Better horses?
    Better training?
    Better coaching?
    That intangible ability of the human spirit that pushes to greatness, being inspired far above normal on their home field?

    I thought it would be an interesting discussion, since there's so much talk about what the Germans do that puts them so consistently at the top, and what the British did this time that made them do so well.

    No bashing of any country's teams, just I hope thoughts & ideas.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    They initiated a funding scheme with lottery proceeds some years ago. My friend in the UK credits their success in part to the additional resources made available to riders from the increased funding.

    Also, I believe host countries traditionally do well at their games. And I'll bet it has something to do with governments/programs increasing their support in the years leading up to a host games. Everyone wants to do well when they are hosting, so that kind of makes sense to me.

    For dressage, Carl made the good decision to have 2 horses from his barn aimed for these games. You have to imagine that if Steffen Peters had done something similar, then Legolas might also have been in the games... Carl has shown that 'teamwork' may mean putting someone else on a good horse.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,505

    Default

    They also benefited from a change in basic training/judging principals to a more "British" type of approach. Less of the sargeant major and more of the willing partnership thing.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 24, 2000
    Posts
    885

    Default

    The Brits have an ace secret weapon in David Broome, who helped secure Sanctos vh Gravenhof for Scott Brash when he saw all the other horses ushered out the door. Had that horse not shown up on time, things could have been vastly different in the team competition. Rob Hoekstra wasn't doing too well in keeping his string intact up till then. Unless Nick rode both Big Star and Carlo, which is probably frowned upon.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    2,949

    Default

    [QUOTE=nutmeg;6488727Unless Nick rode both Big Star and Carlo, which is probably frowned upon.[/QUOTE]

    So next they make Roman trick riding a part of it !! That solves the problem of top riders qualifying multiple horses.

    http://knowledgeoman.com/en/wp-conte...fire-jump1.jpg



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    They also benefited from a change in basic training/judging principals to a more "British" type of approach. Less of the sargeant major and more of the willing partnership thing.
    I concur and I also like the shift.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2000
    Location
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)
    Posts
    14,015

    Default

    The lottery is the thing that funded all these opportunities and changes. You need money to offer opportunities to those who are not well heeled.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 1999
    Location
    Ireland & sometimes the US ;)
    Posts
    11,073

    Default

    I think all of them, however, also have gone a long way to developing LONG TERM PARNERSHIPS with their horses! Certainly the Dressage and Event people have - bought the horses young and brought them on. And, Scott Brash's horse is a HOMEBRED - so they, too, has a long term relationship!!

    That is a GREAT thing!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Whilst lottery funding has helped, it is the not the end all be all of success. Good horses, good management, good training, and good planning. Above all else...HONESTY. You have to be honest in all these areas or it will never come together. If one of these is not working, it will bring the rest down.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2000
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    And, Scott Brash's horse is a HOMEBRED - so they, too, has a long term relationship!!

    That is a GREAT thing!!
    Ben Maher's horse (Tripple X) is the homebred. Scott's horse (Hello Sanctos) was purchased for him in December.
    -----
    This is not a true story
    -----




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2009
    Posts
    1,363

    Default

    And I'll bet they worked extra, extra hard to improve all of the things that needed improving so that they had top notch teams in all the disciplines.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,323

    Default

    The lottery seems to fund training opportunity at all levels in all horse sports in all regions of the UK.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The lottery seems to fund training opportunity at all levels in all horse sports in all regions of the UK.
    That's how you keep the yungins coming.
    (there was not a Whitaker in sight at the Olympics - nor a Massarella !)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 14, 2004
    Location
    Fleetwood, PA
    Posts
    2,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Good horses, good management, good training, and good planning.
    I agree that they changed their riding to be more unique to their style, more light and airy in the contact. Also, you have to note that the past 2 years, the Brits have also won in Verden WBFSH 5 and 6 year olds, with huge margins, with a homebred and Brittish trained mare named Farouche.

    So they upped their game in 3 disciplines and in the young horse finals too. Pretty darn amazing considering that the Dutch, Americans, Danes, etc have been trying to knock the Germans off the podium for years (especially in dressage).



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    They also benefited from a change in basic training/judging principals to a more "British" type of approach. Less of the sargeant major and more of the willing partnership thing.
    Interesting. Can you (or anyone) amplify on this with specifics?



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    So they upped their game in 3 disciplines and in the young horse finals too. Pretty darn amazing considering that the Dutch, Americans, Danes, etc have been trying to knock the Germans off the podium for years (especially in dressage).
    Exactly.

    HOW? (appreciate the responses and hope we can get to specifics).

    And can we (the USA) do it? What would it take?



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2005
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The lottery seems to fund training opportunity at all levels in all horse sports in all regions of the UK.
    If only it did! It helps a little, providing a training session 4-6 times a year to chosen combinations. As in most countries most of the money and effort comes out of the pockets of the owner and the rider. But it is a lot better than nothing.

    I don't know how much help the riders and horses who are shortlisted for the team get. The story may be different for the elite athletes.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    I think all of them, however, also have gone a long way to developing LONG TERM PARNERSHIPS with their horses! Certainly the Dressage and Event people have - bought the horses young and brought them on. And, Scott Brash's horse is a HOMEBRED - so they, too, has a long term relationship!!

    That is a GREAT thing!!
    I truly believe this is 100% the reason for their success!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2005
    Location
    The Prairie
    Posts
    5,425

    Default

    I have been thinking about this very thing all day. Especially in the case ofthe dressage team, they went from never winning an Olympic medal to team gold and individual gold and bronze. They didn't just substantially improve, they knocked it out of the damn park.

    This can't be the result of steps taken only 4 years ago; the seeds for this must have been planted longer ago then that.

    So Equibrit and Edgewood, are you suggesting they went from trying to ride like Germans back to a more "British" style? What about the influence of Dr. Bechtolsheimer? Given that he trained Laura and Carl and Carl trained Charlotte does that not suggest that he has had a very significant role in this result?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I have been thinking about this very thing all day. Especially in the case ofthe dressage team, they went from never winning an Olympic medal to team gold and individual gold and bronze. They didn't just substantially improve, they knocked it out of the damn park.

    This can't be the result of steps taken only 4 years ago; the seeds for this must have been planted longer ago then that.

    So Equibrit and Edgewood, are you suggesting they went from trying to ride like Germans back to a more "British" style? What about the influence of Dr. Bechtolsheimer? Given that he trained Laura and Carl and Carl trained Charlotte does that not suggest that he has had a very significant role in this result?

    Dr. B did, indeed, train Carl earlier in his career. Carl has also worked with Anky and Anne Van Olst amongst others. I do not think you can pin his training methods down to just one person.

    Dr. B, obviously, has had a great impact on his daughter's riding but it should be noted that she too has received outside help. Currently from Klaus and, at one time, from Marcus Gribb.

    I do not think you can say that the British riders are riding more "British" and less "German" as Dr. B, Klaus, and Marcus are all German.

    The simple fact is that they have Lottery funding to help, they are either buying or breeding better quality horses, they are seeking better training, and they have invested heavily in better management and showing opportunities.

    This success is a long time in the making and long may it continue.



Similar Threads

  1. Brits--Another IDSH stallion m.j. Fine Art
    By vineyridge in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2011, 08:30 PM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last Post: May. 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
  3. Brits--Super Premium H.I.S (1950) TB
    By vineyridge in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2009, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness