The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Get Your $$$$ Ready. Valegro and Uthopia May Be on the Market Soon.

At this level, money talks and nobody walks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...l-outings.html

Excerpt:

Fans should relish every second of the freestyle tests of Valegro and Uthopia in Thursday’s individual dressage final, for this could be the last time they will both be seen on a British dressage squad.

One or both horses are expected to be on the market shortly after the Games. The top scorers were the subject of multi-million pound offers from continental Europe after springing to prominence with European team golds in 2011.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Default No "maybe" about it.

For sure they are already on the market.
    So for those of you who know these things, what sort of price would such a horse fetch?

Enquiring minds and all that.

ME
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

You're looking at an upwards of 15m euros.
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Okay, here I go with a good ole days rant... But I am having difficulty remembering top pairs being split apart as much as what happens now... Balkenhol Goldstern, Klimke Ahlreich, Uphoff Rembrandt, list goes on and on. Of course, more owned their horses back then but I think it's sad to split these magic pairs.

This is not news. Carl already said prior to the Olympics that both horses would likely be sold and admitted though he accepted this , this was one reason why has been a stressful year as he trained them up from youngsters.

Uthopia was almost sold prior to Dec 31 but carl scrambled and put together a deal with investors to keep the horse until after the olympics. I'm sure part of the deal for the investors was that the horse would be sold after the Olympics. Only the obscenely wealthy can afford to keep these horses forever in the real world.

The riders who depend on the help of sponsors understand this.

I can't see 15 million Euros. Not in this economy and everything that's happened with Totilas. I'm guessing 4-8 million Euros for Valegro. It'll be interesting.

I believe he's still a stallion. These numbers are obviously for a horse that breeds and competes.

Valegro is something else! Love his roundness and short back. He's physically just so impressive! Drool!!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Valegro is a gelding.

Uthopia is the breeding stallion..

Oh, wow, whoever chopped Valegro should be ashamed! That eliminates the stud factor. Now I won't even hazard a guess, I'll just wait for news...

I would only hope that after the--umm--other experience of late that the buyers would keep these horses with their partners. I suppose not that likely, but one can ... hope.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Oh, wow, whoever chopped Valegro should be ashamed!
    Really? Why?

Perhaps, like Ravel, he's just better as a gelding.

YOU don't know. That part is for sure.

Devastating. Just devastating for Carl and Charlotte.

PS would be interested in Uti I'd imagine? I wouldn't personally breed to him, the magic of Uthopia is in the training and riding, IMHO he is a bit short and chunky to make a top breeding prospect when his sire Metall is there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Really? Why?

Perhaps, like Ravel, he's just better as a gelding.

YOU don't know. That part is for sure.
    Um, no, I don't. Technically you're right. Not that it matters because last I heard, it was OK to have an opinion....

Edit: your comments were creepy and rude. Not like we're talking about politics or anything hugely important. In all likelihood neither of us can afford him, so why the big f*n snarkiness?

CH owns them both (50%), so he governs the sales and is paying off the farm. (Think the buyer is already in line.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Because it's COTH, and here at COTH, we snark, we prevaricate, we obfuscate, and on Thursdays we annihilate. Rarely do we deliberate, considerATE , or do anything more than pontificate.

What's devastating? Carl is a business man. He has a farm to run and more horses to ride. Only in Disney movies does every horse stay with every rider who luvs him til the end of time. It's the big time. You can't sit on all of them at one time, LOL, sometimes you make room for the next big thing.

From the article linked, in his own words:
    He has not competed Uthopia since Olympia and Valegro will get a break after Florida at the end of January. They will be back in the show ring in April or May.
    Carl is doing everything he can to find a British buyer for Uthopia, a 10-year-old KWPN gelding, of which he shares ownership with Sasha Stewart, whose business in Ireland has been severely affected by the economic climate but agreed to defer a sale until after the Olympics.
    “I aways thought, to be honest,” he said, “that the horse would release me from a lifetime of slavery to work. I always thought, ‘you will be the one that pays off my mortgage and that finally frees me from those shackles.”
    But then the emotions that have kept him in those shackles come to the fore, as they almost did when Escapado, his 2004 Athens Olympic mount, was sold to Hans Peter Minderhoud of The Netherlands and he thought, “Stuff the money. I should have just mortgaged the place up again.” Escapado was retired to Carl’s farm.
    Of Uthopia, he said: “Of course watching him and knowing the life that we give him I’m worried about giving something so precious to someone else. I worry about that. I’ve said to Sasha this horse could win a medal for Britain every year. She said she wants to sell.”
    Charlotte has been made aware of the fact Valegro will be for sale after the Olympics.
    “We’ve got our next pair we’re getting ready,” he said, two seven-year-olds that will start in 2013.
    “It’s not like we’re disappearing or anything like that.”

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=14528

I'd be willing to sell pretty much everything but my family for what they'll get... Pretty much everything. And I would have to think long and hard about some family members!

I can think of worse things in life than running to the bank with a huge check.

It's sad because these horses and riders make such extraordinary teams together, but business is business. I am really excited to see where they end up though. Perhaps an early Christmas gift for me? Valegro cannot possibly command the price that Totilas did since he is not a stallion (so no monetary return on investment.) If he was a stallion I can only imagine the pricetag!!! Is Uthopia a stallion? He will probably fetch a nice price.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Um, no, I don't. Technically you're right. Not that it matters because last I heard, it was OK to have an opinion....

Edit: your comments were creepy and rude. Not like we're talking about politics or anything hugely important. In all likelihood neither of us can afford him, so why the big f*n snarkiness?
    I don't think anything that post said was "creepy" or "rude". Alluding to the f bomb was worse IMO.

I already set up a paypal account for donations. I'll take either one. Probably have to buy Carl or Charlotte to ride them though. How much are dressage riders going for these days?
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique