The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default helmets for oval heads, helmets for round heads?

can you guys help me with a list?

Round heads:
    Troxel

Ovals:
    Ovation
    JR8

I need more! I am doing a presentation next week (it just landed on my lap this week) to promote helmets among our dressage club. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

I found that the Troxel Legacy Gold Duratec style did fit my oval head much better than some of their other ones - just one to suggest for schooling. I also have a Lami-Cell show helmet which fits the oval shape. I'm not sure if they make that one anymore though.

My very oval head fits well in my Charles Owen (the Wellington & the J3 skullcap, but not the Hampton). I also have the latest version of the Tipperary sportage, and that fits perfectly. That one's not really right for showing, except very informally, but it's the lightest helmet I've ever encountered!

Oval: Charles Owen JR8

Oops, you already had that.
    Last edited by retrofit; Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Doh!
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Even the large Tipperary won't fit my oval head, and my head isn't huge.

I have a CO Ayr8 that fits my oval head very well, and a IRH knock off of the Ayr8 that I school in that is pretty much the same. The higher end GPA's fit me fine too, but the Samsheids do not, think they are for a more round type of head.

Round: LamiCell
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I think I'm an oval because Troxels do not fit me at all. I love my International skull cap. It doesn't look like they make them (the skull cap) anymore though.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

for those ovals on a budget, the IRH lines tend to be all oval
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    I have a CO Ayr8 that fits my oval head very well, and a IRH knock off of the Ayr8 that I school in that is pretty much the same. The higher end GPA's fit me fine too, but the Samsheids do not, think they are for a more round type of head.
    This.

Adding that the Troxels don't fit me at all. They ride up...really weird feeling.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

I have an IRH XR9, and it's right in between oval and round, lol. Mine is a bit too round from the ears back.

GPA's are VERY round, at least the one's I have tried, and CO are very oval.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Have you tried those new Pegasus helmets?

I don't care much for the design, but they seem to have more variety in shapes. A friend of mine has horrible trouble with helmet fit - but that brand fits perfectly. They're reasonably priced and ASTM approved.

http://www.pegasushelmets.com/
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ary8 CO fits oval really well. I have an oval shape

Shamshield not at all; for a round head and the GPA's round head too.
    Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood! ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Same here. I have an old Tipperary large that fits great, but I bought the new style in large and it is too tight on my forehead. The XL is waaaay too big though.

I have an Ovation that is way too round for my oval head. The forhead and back fit but I can stick a finger in both sides over my ears. Troxel and Ovation are the only helmets available in this town though, and I'm reluctant to buy one without trying it on. Does anyone know how the measurement of the circumference of your head relates to hat size?

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    Tipps must somehow vary because I am def. an oval and my new model XS Tipp fits perfectly! (and I don't even have an XS head - i'm a 7 1/8 in my JR8, but anything bigger than the Tipp XS was loose).

Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
    Troxel and Ovation are the only helmets available in this town though, and I'm reluctant to buy one without trying it on.
    FYI- Smartpak does free shipping on all orders over $75, and free return shipping on helmets.

IRH is basically oval, but many of their models also come in long oval, which is even more so! Smartpak has long ovals for order on their web site, Dover does not, you have to call. If I order a long oval, I can go down a size....IRH 7 1/2 fits me pretty well, but a 7 1/4 long oval fits even better, with a little less extra room on the sides.

The COs are about as oval as the regular IRH's, but the COs are more shallow. If you have a tall forehead and a lot of "head" above your ears, the COs may not fit well, even if the size around is good. COs look like they are perching on top of my head . So, it's IRH's for me, I've yet to find anything else that fits.

There are two newer Troxel, one western look, one english look that fit very differently than the ones they have made for the last ten yrs. I couldn't wear them and hated the dial system. awful but these new ones fit well and comfortable. I tried the Owens ay8 and the IRH and they were heavy and tight on my forehead. I was all ready to buy a beautiful blue Owens but it just hurt and sizing up was to lose so try the new Troxels if you are having fitting trouble. Not as pretyy but no headaches.......
    I seen the inside of the Tipperary and I wouldn't trust that helmet.

I have a size 7 1/2 oval shaped head. The Charles Owen J3 is the only helmet that fits my head and doesn't fall onto my nose. I need the depth of the J3 as well as the special padding in the back that helps keep the helmet from rocking forward.