The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default best protective boots for jumper

Have a gelding who is slowly moving up to the 1.20m. At this height, I want his legs to be as protected as possible, even though he is a fabulous jumper. Any recommendations on a brand of protective boots for the jumper ring?

I'm for Equifit T-Boots all the way. I really love mine. Don't particularly love the price tag though.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I'm for Equifit T-Boots all the way. I really love mine. Don't particularly love the price tag though.
    I would like to stay in the $300 range. Are the equifits in that budget?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterroy View Post
    I would like to stay in the $300 range. Are the equifits in that budget?
    Depends on whether you want front and ankle boots or just fronts. You won't get the top end for both, that'll run you about $330.
    These are the front boots that are the top dollar model: http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...x?cm_vc=Search
    And these are the ankles:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/equifi...x?cm_vc=Search
    They'll seem a tad tight at first, but the memory foam molds to the legs so they don't end up being that tight. I love mine.
    I think the originals and velcro version are a bit less expensive, but as far as I know that's the only ankle boot they make.

Veredus Carbon Gels. Order from the UK to get a better price. (I got mine from Amira Equi.) Shipping is around the same as Dover's, no import taxes either.

The strike sheilds (tendon and fetlock) are carbon fiber, which is extremely strong, lightweight, and dead, which means that it doesn't transmit vibrations from impact. (So, if you had a carbon fiber baseball bat and an aluminum baseball bat, and you smacked them both on the ground, the aluminum one would vibrate like crazy in your hand and the carbon one would just hit the ground and probably not even bounce. This is why cyclists love the stuff, it doesn't transmit all the bumps in the road like metal does. It's good for horses because if they hit themselves, it will take the initial impact better than any other material, and won't vibrate and continue the potential for injury.) The gel makes the inside nice and cushy.

I got the ones with tab closures, because I am wary of velcro. They are way lighter than anything Eskadron makes.

My mare's legs are always clean and tight the day after wearing these, after polos or something else she usually has a little bit of filling in her lower legs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    Veredus Carbon Gels.
    Forgot about these! Used a pair once (borrowed a friends when I lost my equifits (mom put them in the wrong car haha!) and I loved them. I remember not loving the price, but I may order them from Amira at the same time I order my other stuff. However, I don't think that Verdus makes a ankle boot, at least I don't see it on Smartpak.
    ETA: I stand corrected, Amira sells the hind boots.
    Last edited by hunterrider23; Aug. 8, 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: I stand corrected...

I love my Equifit boots! They have held up to daily use very well!
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I'm a big Equifit person too! I love my EXP2's!!! I also am a fan of my Bevals. But here is a great resource if you want to buy used, its mostly high end products lightly used! I've definitely purchased from here and would do it again if I needed something!!! It would probably stay under your budget for 4 boots instead of just 2.

http://www.premiertackoutlet.com/horseboots.htm
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Many if not half of the Show jumpers were wearing Veredus. They make matching ankle boots for each model as well as the Pro Jump and another hind boot that protects a horse who really hits himself behind around the coronet band

Veredus are fantastic boots but they should not be worn every day... only when your horse needs maximum protection, like at a show.

The carbon fibre strike plate is extremely protective, but it's also very very rigid... more so than plastic. To have that rigid plate on the back of the tendon reduces the flexibility of the tendon and this has the potential to cause issues.

That being said, they can't be beat as far as protection and quality goes.

I use Acavallo Vittorias. http://acavallo.com/acavallo.html
    You can get them through Dover for around $80 a pair. What makes them nice is that they have gel padding that molds against the suspensory ligaments and splint bones, and it absorbs shock under impact. They are also very flexible. For the price, it's a fantastic boot.

Equifit boots also very very nice. The memory foam absorbs 97% of shock under impact and gives a custom fit. But like the Veredus, they're expensive... though you can use them every day because they are more flexible.

I have used Veredus a lot and also EquiFit. I really like the way the EquiFit boots support my horses tendons I definitely think they offer the most support. I do really love the Veredus boots too but I don't think they are as supportive as the t-foam in the EquiFit boots. Best Prices!! Are at http://cheshirehorse.com/Search.aspx...ANK%20DESC&p=4

I love EquiFit too! I really love the Originals, and they are the least expensive. I also like the velcro. The EXP boot is great- a harder shell may be more what you're looking for- but the Originals are, in my opinion, the best boot for the money.