The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bloomington IL area...

Hi all,

am contemplating a job offer south of Bloomington-Normal and wondering what the horsey scene is like these days. I lived there (although north of town) for a few years 20 yrs ago . I'm sure things have changed.

I know about Hunter Oaks, but think it may be out of range, driving wise.

Horse is older TB mare, care is more important than amenities as she is semi retired and doesn't need huge lighted indoor or cross country course. We have done dressage, hunters and eventing so anything along those lines is fine, but will consider anything as long as the care is good. She's not difficult to care for and lives out most of the year, but does require a few minor things (soaked feed, blankets).

thanks for any help!
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

I don't know how far it would be from you but there's a really nice place in LeRoy, IL called Lone Ridge or something like that. If you google, you should be able to find their website. The owner is Jeannie.

A friend of mine kept her horse there. They have tons of turnout and trails.

Wish I could help more but I'm farther east.

Thanks for the reply! Looks like we will be going. I will check out that barn if we end up in that direction. not exactly sure which area we will end up in!

Join illinoishorse.com, you'll get a lot of suggestions there.

There's Equiventure Stables in Bloomington, but they're selling the place so not sure if they're still taking boarders.

Timber Creek in Shirley is VERY nice, probably the nicest barn in the area. The price reflects that, though.

Dreamcatcher Stables is nice, and very close to town. A bit on the costly side but not bad.

Lone Ridge is ok. I've heard things about horses without water, horses getting seriously injured from being bullied by herdmates, etc... but I've never boarded there.

Wellgreen Farm is gorgeous, but a bit costly. I want to say they are in Downs... but I'm not sure. It's near Le Roy.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Timber Creek would be a great choice! I used to work there, albeit several years ago, but the people who own the place are awesome. Its a kid-friendly place, but when I was there all the kids were well behaved. The owners have a couple of kids themselves, and they do a really good job of keeping the drama under control. The stalls are enormous, with skylights in all of them, big indoor, outdoor, trails, lots of turnout.

Thanks for the help- I appreciate the suggestions and will be joining illinoishorse.com

If anyone has anything to add- feel free! I'd be perfectly happy at a backyard barn, doesn't need to be big boarding/training stable (although keeping all options open)

thanks again

TIMBER CREEK!!! I have boarded there for almost 4 yrs. Great place!! Nice people, low key, good mixture.

Very nice indoor arena, lots of places to ride! Just a really nice place all around

Be sure to check it out!!! PM me if you have any questions

I appreciate all the suggestions! Thinking I will leave her up here for awhile until I can find the right place, will DEF check out Timber Creek Looks like I will have a busy fall barn hunting!