The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    I think there are some great ideas about the rule, but in the end it is the the lying bastards in the FEI and ALL of the national federations who sold out to the IOC to keep horses in the Olympics. The system has been established that allows non-horsemen to govern and dictate to horsemen allowable conduct all in the name of monetary return (e.g. the aforementioned EC response).

Eric Lamaze can do all he wants but in the end it will be moot because he has little to no pull with the FEI/IOC.

Agree with both points.

Eric alone, no. But he is a member of NARG, and that includes a LOT of North American riders. If they, and their sponsors, can band together, they will have some political power. And they need to address it now, while the issue is fresh. Enough wasn't done after Sapphire's elimination, so Denis Lynch, a French rider and now Tiffany have been caught by it. It cost Lynch his spot at the Olympics, and we know how it ended for Tiffany. I happen to agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the FEI, RAyers. The riders have got to figure that ANY of them could be next.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I do think Eric's intent was first to put pressure on EC and it appears he was successful at that. Then, to hopefully work with EC and other riders/owners to approach the FEI to make changes to that rule. At least, Eric took the first step and I hope others will follow him now.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Never thought I'd see the day that was said about Eric. He was banned twice by Canadian sport officials after testing positive for cocaine before the 1996 Games in Atlanta and then testing positive for ephedrine before the 2000 Sydney Olympics, for which he was handed a lifetime ban. That was revoked later.
    I remember this, too. But what was done to the Canadian rider is unconscionable, and Eric is right to protest. Pure unmitigated bullspit.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Eric alone, no. But he is a member of NARG, and that includes a LOT of North American riders. If they, and their sponsors, can band together, they will have some political power. And they need to address it now, while the issue is fresh. Enough wasn't done after Sapphire's elimination, so Denis Lynch, a French rider and now Tiffany have been caught by it. It cost Lynch his spot at the Olympics, and we know how it ended for Tiffany. I happen to agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the FEI, RAyers. The riders have got to figure that ANY of them could be next.
    I think you are giving NARG a lot more importance than they actually have.
    It is not an inclusive group. While important to a small group of GP show jumpers it has little relevance to the vast majority of those who show in NA and little impact on USEF's positions .

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Dove View Post
    For those who haven't read the statement from Equine Canada here it is:

“We fully support the FEI in its hypersensitivity testing protocol. This is an important testing procedure for the fairness of our sport and for the welfare of the horse which must always be paramount. Victor, our team horse, did have a small but sensitive area on the coronary band as a result of a minor lesion. This resulted in the disqualification of the horse in accordance with the FEI’s hypersensitivity protocol. The Canadian Team is disappointed with the outcome, and the impact both on our team and the Olympic dreams of our athlete Tiffany Foster,” states Mr. Gallagher.

“Equine Canada appreciates that the FEI has shared with us the findings of the veterinary examinations. We also thank the FEI and its president, HRH Princess Haya Al Hussein, for making it clear that the disqualification in no way implies any wrong doing on the part of the Canadian Team, nor athlete Tiffany Foster.”

Eric Lamaze released a statement following Equine Canadas statement:

"Canadian rider and 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist Eric Lamaze has just informed the Canadian Federation that he will not ride on any Canadian Team, including Spruce Meadows and in Spain until Equine Canada releases a new statement in support of their rider"

I give Eric a lot of credit for standing up for Tiffany. I wonder how this is going to play out.
    Coming to this late, but what is "hypersensitivity protocol?" Are they looking for something like "soring?"

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    I think you are giving NARG a lot more importance than they actually have.
    It is not an inclusive group. While important to a small group of GP show jumpers it has little relevance to the vast majority of those who show in NA and little impact on USEF's positions .
    It is the only organized body of riders there is. They work with USEF and can certainly pool their voices with those of their sponsirs to develop a cohesive plan to present to the FEI. It would behoove riders in other countrues to get onboard as well.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Coming to this late, but what is "hypersensitivity protocol?" Are they looking for something like "soring?"
    I think that's the angle they're aiming for. I think there's bigger fish to fry (did you see the photos and video of the dressage warm up area?? All the privacy curtains...). I think Tiffany was an easier target...

I'll standbehind Eric's comments, if for no reason than it shows he has a backbone and moral courage. He's come through a lot his whole life long, he has taken his lumps and bumps and I, for one, Glimmerglass, believe in redemption. For years after his ban the CBC reporters never let him come on tv without bringing up the old garbage - I finally wrote a couple of letters, one to the BBC and one to a prominent horse magazine. I go so much positive feedback from people after that and the CBC has refrained from bringing up these past issues again and again. I don't believe it was my input for one moment, actually, but a Gold medal in Hong Kong didn't hurt either. Eric has never shied away from the truth, he's been humble, well spoken and honest, but has moved on regarding his sport.

Not riding on the team may bot hurt him - he has owners and horses who would probably gain more by Eric riding as an individual financially without risking the horse as a Team member. Remember Milton? the Bradley's would not send him to the Games in case he got hurt on the long route to Seoul. At the time the Brits were outraged as they had taken Milton firmly in as their own horse!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Default If thread is still alive...

To me, I don't think it's a bad thing that the FEI had to "sell out" to the IOC in order to keep equestrian in the Olympic Games. If that is what it took, it is OK by me. Because that is the state of things right now, and horses remaining in the Olympics is essential to the future of the sport. It was the pragmatic choice.

Is it ethical that it had to happen this way? No. Appropriate? No. Do the best horses and riders get selected and then compete at the Games? Yes. Is the sport of high quality? Yes.

Because the competition pits the best against the best, I don't see too much fallout from 'selling out.' (And so the FEI vents its anger from the mistreatment from the IOC on the North Americans when it can. )

I am not agreeing with it, and we should continue to do what we can to right this ship. But, no free lunch.

And although Eric Lamaze may not make THE change occur, bit by incremental bit, change will be made. That's how it gets done. Slavery wasn't ended in 5 years. Voiced discomfort over it went on for decades prior to the Civil War. But, that era did get ended.