The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    I am happy you found your lovely girl, but I know of several really nice, larger bodied ponies that are mostly of imported blood....

So they are out there....

now videos? lol!

congrats to the OP on the ponies!
    Well I wasn't going to buy or travel without video...

Plus, the fact is I LOVE my mares. Finding a mare that was large enough or big bodied enough was an even harder challenge. The funny part is I found one big enough (yet still pony height) crossed with an Arabian of all things. Go figure.

I can only imagine what she could produce with a nice, bigger PB Connemara. 3/4 ConnX1/4 Arabian dressage pony would be cool. Not that she is getting bred any time soon.

The Arabian was brought into the CP Studbook in the Fifties or Sixties (can't remember now) to improve the quality/action of the early studbook ponies--its a lovely proven cross that has had substantial influence on the breed (like the addition of the TB and the Draft). If you pay much attention to pedigrees you will find the lines that carry Arabian influence tend to be among the top performing ponies--and tend to have greater activity, suspension and loft. I have seen quite a few of them in person--but none I thought as quite as capable or "pretty" as PP's new pony (I may be biased!). She is a wonderful example of cross breeding to give a more modern riding type pony. She is also a fantastic size (being pony height) with both bone and body depth and substance--though she wont be quite as stout/heavy as some purebreds.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    I have 14.2HH ponies that look like mac trucks standing next to other US bred Connemaras--and all are well within the International Breed Standard for height (148cms). What this country truly lacks is a quality mare base (which places like Denmark/Sweden/Ireland and the UK have in Spades)--we have an over abundance of under qualified colt/stallion prospects (nearly every breeder has one or more standing in the back yard) and not enough high quality broodmares. That being said I have not found that the foundation (limb quality of most imported ponies) to be outstanding--many I have seen in person are not as good as some of the TB US bred lines--what were your thoughts on this while looking?
    There are definitely some lines here that produce bigger bodied ponies; both Landgate Bluebeard and Rattle 'N' Snap Laddie Boy are here on the East Coast, they consistently sire big bodied/big boned ponies that are pony height.

I think our very small number of ponies makes it more obvious that we don't have the pool of breeding stock and bloodlines that some of the European countries have. Many of the very good US bred mares are performing rather than breeding, simply because the US market doesn't support having ponies just for breeding or just to show on the line.

I have seen somewhere between 55-58 Connemara stallions in the US and Canada, and there are few that I want to use. That is was really encouraged us to import something different that would compliment our mares, and appeal to other US breeders.

I disagree that the limb quality of foreign ponies isn't as good as here, I saw a lot of very correct ponies (and I've seen a lot of crooked legs here!). I will say that there is a big difference in limb quality between the ponies shown on the line, and the ponies bred for performance. The performance breeders don't much care about the correctness of their legs if they can jump. In turn, many of the ponies bred strictly to be shown on the line, are pretty and straight, and have lots of bone, but couldn't jump themselves out of a paper bag.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Congratulations! Importing is always exciting and stressful! Wishing your babies a safe trip.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post

I disagree that the limb quality of foreign ponies isn't as good as here, I saw a lot of very correct ponies (and I've seen a lot of crooked legs here!). I will say that there is a big difference in limb quality between the ponies shown on the line, and the ponies bred for performance. The performance breeders don't much care about the correctness of their legs if they can jump. In turn, many of the ponies bred strictly to be shown on the line, are pretty and straight, and have lots of bone, but couldn't jump themselves out of a paper bag.
    I think the difference in the conformational/limb short comings Im seeing is that we have a VERY different population here in the West Coast than you have on the East Coast. It would seem different regions have vastly different strengths and weakness'. We have a very large number of imported lines (particularly stallions-but also quite a large number of imported mares) several of which are very high quality others of the 'cant climb out of a a paper bag variety'.

There are maybe ten ponies in all of North America that interest me from a breeding perspective--and none are from one particular line/breeder or stallion/mare (perhaps half of those are strictly imported the others purely domestic). They are just what I would consider as well above average in overall quality, conformation and natural athleticism.

Well I don't know a thing about any of the Connemara lines or history, but I adored my purebred mare (MGRM Brigadoon X Gunsmoke), unfortunately she was like riding a 2x4 and her clubby foot severely affected her ability to do dressage comfortably.

I am totally and completely in love with my new pony (who was bred by goodpony if you didn't figure that out ) and funny enough she is Connemera X Arabian and feels HUGE when you are on her. Everyone that meets her cannot believe how cute she is, and remarks about her substance, especially her wonderful feet.

In any case, there is definitely a Connemara renaissance in these parts, and it's wonderful to hear that more nice ponies are being brought into this country.

There are maybe ten ponies in all of North America that interest me from a breeding perspective--and none are from one particular line/breeder or stallion/mare (perhaps half of those are strictly imported the others purely domestic). They are just what I would consider as well above average in overall quality, conformation and natural athleticism.
    This is why I went to Ireland.
    Fade to Grey Farm

1 members found this post helpful.

Very exciting, GAEventer! I hope these babies will be out and about eventing and doing well. It's fabulous when good ponies get into good performance/breeding homes, and I am a big fan of Dexter Leam Pondi.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Very exciting, GAEventer! I hope these babies will be out and about eventing and doing well. It's fabulous when good ponies get into good performance/breeding homes, and I am a big fan of Dexter Leam Pondi.
    That's our plan We will likely sell a couple of them down the road, and I have a feeling the DLP colt will be our resident stallion. Although, the Glencarrig Knight colt has incredible bloodlines and is pretty exceptional himself! It's going to be hard to decide, they're all nice ponies, and we bought with performance in mind.
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    fwiw I looked for 6 months straight for a larger bodied Connemara here in the US that was 3+ and ready to go, couldn't even find one. The couple I did find were very expensive, and no one out of state would/could provide me with video.

It's a weird market for sure.
    P
    I have one of those..... GA Eventer can attest. SHe won't be for sale ever but I do need to get on the stick and get some babies out of her.

I think the difference in the conformational/limb short comings Im seeing is that we have a VERY different population here in the West Coast than you have on the East Coast. It would seem different regions have vastly different strengths and weakness'. We have a very large number of imported lines (particularly stallions-but also quite a large number of imported mares) several of which are very high quality others of the 'cant climb out of a a paper bag variety'.
    GP - can you summarize what you feel the differences are east/west as far as lines, looks and ability?

to me, coming in from the outside it appears that the east coast has the performance side of the equation down - around here it seems to be more of a different market for the most part - altho of course there are exceptions....

what are your observations?

also, just my .02, but in the US (at least as far as i was able to determine) , we dont seem to really have the kind of lines that are in europe - those lines that produce world class jumper and dressage ponies..... When i look at what can be found in europe - i am saving my pennies for a trip over there at some point.....

also, i know when i was looking for a really athletic pony i was told by a few breeders that what i wanted couldn't be had in the Connemara and that i should just look elsewhere because i would ruin the breed (!!!!) I didnt end up breeding my WB mare to a Con (which is what i wanted to do) instead, i bred to a GRP - ....

GP - can you summarize what you feel the differences are east/west as far as lines, looks and ability?

to me, coming in from the outside it appears that the east coast has the performance side of the equation down - around here it seems to be more of a different market for the most part - altho of course there are exceptions....

what are your observations?

also, just my .02, but in the US (at least as far as i was able to determine) , we dont seem to really have the kind of lines that are in europe - those lines that produce world class jumper and dressage ponies..... When i look at what can be found in europe - i am saving my pennies for a trip over there at some point.....

also, i know when i was looking for a really athletic pony i was told by a few breeders that what i wanted couldn't be had in the Connemara and that i should just look elsewhere because i would ruin the breed (!!!!) I didnt end up breeding my WB mare to a Con (which is what i wanted to do) instead, i bred to a GRP - ....
    mbm

I feel the US and Canada has much better all around performance ponies than Europe- the "disconnect" is that we do not have an objective way to measure it. While in Europe you will find lots of pony jumper and dressage competitions, here in the states we don't have anything akin to that. There is a movement for more pony dressage but pony jumpers in which the Connemara would "rule" - well it's just not out there. Meanwhile in Europe the hunters are not nearly as popular as they are here. We Connnemara folks really need to start to make an effort to promote pony jumpers at the highest levels.

Good pony just posted elsewhere her 2 year old did a 4'6" gate from a standstill. While that may lead her to a lovely eventing career- what if she is not "dressage minded"? Where will that talent be evidenced? We need more opportunities for pony jumpers.

dr j - i agree there are some Cons here that are fantastic... My all time Fave NA pony is Rory O Sullivan.... and of course Art - but there are the exception it seems....

of course i look at things thru the glasses of a dressage person so a bit different perhaps than others....

eta: i dont want an "all round" performance pony - i want one that excels at what i do - aka dressage - and it seems that in Europe they have ponies that are bred to do that..... but maybe it is just that we dont have the infrastructure here to spotlight the really nice dressage ponies....

i am really glad we are getting more interesting lines brought in - it will only enhance what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by dr j View Post
    Good pony just posted elsewhere her 2 year old did a 4'6" gate from a standstill. While that may lead her to a lovely eventing career- what if she is not "dressage minded"?
    Her half brother happens to be a remarkably competitive dressage pony (through no fault of his own) that also has a pretty mean jump. Some of those 'versatile performers' are also extremely athletic, good moving and more importantly good minded--never underestimate a good pony.

MBM, I can think of several Connemara Ponies living right here in CA that can take you as far as you want to go--and then some, and twice on Sunday.

I too think that we could do a lot to promote Connemaras by working to build a general pony jumper division. I also think it would be great for the kids. And a great way to get more boys back into our sport.

The key, I think, is to find a way so that you don't have to start out with 10-20 ponies at one show for the class to be interesting. You have to figure out how to build it from a handful of ponies, and ideally several handfuls in different places.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

We don't have the classes here to really show them off, and it's also true that many of the people who really embrace Connemaras aren't going out and showing them. The highest concentration is probably in eventing.

I'm guilty of that myself. I have a nice one at home and she doesn't get out nearly enough. Best laid plans and all. :-(

I love my half bred four year old paint X by JEF Sir Lancelot. He is HUGE. Not sure where all that height came from. Lance has a lot of bone, but is only 14.3, but my horse is 15.2ish (haven't sticked him this year). Most people think he's much bigger because of all the bone. He's super athletic, comfy, fairly unflappable and he'd crawl in your lap and snuggle if he could.

I got him as an unstarted 2 year old and never looked back.

Connemaras are just awesome.

Congrats on your import! We need more ponies for us old ladies!
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

MBM, I can think of several Connemara Ponies living right here in CA that can take you as far as you want to go--and then some, and twice on Sunday.
    i am not looking for a pony now.... i have one that is turning out to be a pretty cool little guy

my point was: most folks aren't breeding for top sport... heck there is a huge growth in pony sales and pony interest - but when breeders of Cons tell potential buyers "go look elsewhere" well - we do

and while there may be some ponies here that are good - it is not like in europe - which i think is the entire point of this thread....

i want to add: i am not trying to slam anyone - but my point is: there are not many folks whose focus is top sport for ponies.. some breeders of course - this is true - but not enough.... i think that is a shame because a good Connemara is pretty cool as we all can agree

Smile Update on the babies

It's not a great pic, but I posted one of all three of the babies together on our facebook page (Fade to Grey Farm, http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fad...02177169829068). They are all on the same farm now, are weaned, and are getting to know one another pre-travel. We're very fortunate that Carol (Thorn Brook Stud) has taken on halter breaking, handling them, and prepping them for travel. We can't wait for them to get here!!
    Fade to Grey Farm