The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "He does rear, will send you pictures through email"

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/3172278903.html

"Doesn't do it on command, it's not a trick."

Alis volat propriis.

At least they're up front about it?

But it does make me want to shake them for riding (bareback, even) a known rearer with no helmets.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

True on all accounts, analise. I guess I just don't see a good future for a confirmed rearer, regardless.
    Alis volat propriis.

They're honest, gotta give him credit for that.
    He's also a cute little sh*t.

A lot depends on his rearing...does he pop the "I don't wanna" ones? Does he stand straight up when he's pissed? Something in between?

I've gone to look at rearers. Heck my mare Gal was a "confirmed rearer" and "rotten ground manners."

And in actuality...her last 2 owners were timid and she was not. She learned really quick how to get out of doing anything. After a short time with me and some "refresher courses" on acceptable manners she was fine.

Well, she did always pop little pissy rears from time to time. Some people don't mind that. And sometimes the owner isn't sure how to fix the problem or not aware they're causing it.

And sometimes the horse is just batcrap crazy.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    They're honest, gotta give him credit for that.
    He's also a cute little sh*t.
    Ain't he?? LOL...
    Alis volat propriis.

He really is. Have to say I'm glad he's nowhere near me...I'd be sorely tempted.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Dammit, MB... why did you make me look again at him?

And you are correct about the rearing. My KMH would "rear" to avoid going forward until he learned that trick didn't work with me, and that FORWARD meant FORWARD, and UP meant MORE WORK.

But still....

And that boy riding that pony is taller than I am... and .... and ... and...

UGH!

"not a future for a rearer... not a future for a rearer" repeat repeat
    Alis volat propriis.

Will someone educate me as to the future of a kid-size-- but NOT kid-safe-- pony??
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

1) he'll end up in an auction

or

2) a kid-sized adult can get him, and hopefully fix his little rearing problem so that he can go on to be a kids pony.

Ponys are hard to work with sometimes because the experienced adults are often too big to ride them and do the training. And of course, little kids can't...pony learns this...and turns into Mr. Attitude.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

cnvh...it is indeed *tough* to properly rehome/safely sell a non-kid-friendly medium pony.

Too big for most to want as a companion, too small for most adults. Middle Pony Syndrom.

However, I'd have to hazard a guess that most medium and small ponies aren't really kid safe. Ponies love dumping kids in many different ways. The prop and drop. The stop-n-dump. The Gotta Graze Flip. Bucking. Rolling. Bolting. Running out. Dropping the shoulder.

I was a pony tuner for ages. Small adult who adores the Problem Children. Have to say...most ponies have Little Sh*t Syndrom.

Problem with this one is that a huge percentage of riders won't consider a rearer of any sort. Rearing scares the bejeezes out of tons of people. But much like bucking, there's tons of types of rearing. There definitely ARE scary rearers. But tons of them that do rear just aren't horrifying and are fixable.

But it is unfortanate that this little pisser is just the wrong size for so many people and he does need an adult that's willing to go evaluate what his quirk is that makes him rear.

As I mentioned...if he was nearby and I could go get a feel for the cute little stinker, I *personally* have zero issues with most rearers. And the seller has some smarts. Listed him at a price just large enough to deter the meat buyers and most pinhookers, but low enough to warrant opening the ad. And then states it's negotiable. Dollars to donuts they take a helluva lot less if the right buyer comes along. They also might take a lot less for any size adult looking for a companion pony that isn't a mini.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte