The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fencing or dog run ideas for a Houdini dog!

I posted this in The Menagerie but wanted to repost in here in case any if you who have fencing knowledge have ideas for STRONG panel fencing to contain my dog! :-)

I adore my brilliant and creative Ridgeback...except when it comes to his unbelievable problem solving skills about confinement! To preface I am a behaviorist and he is in separation anxiety remission. He is thoroughly exercised, happy, well adjusted and well trained. HOWEVER...he Will. Not. Be. Contained. And it's not a question of anxiety anymore except for a once or twice a year attack. He just loves to problem solve. He's got bones, puzzle toys, TV and his own bedroom for when I need to leave. But alas he can unlock and open doors, turn window cranks, remove childproof door locks, remove our "door protectors" and now can move a refrigerator to access and remove the door protector to remove the child-safe door lock, to unlock his bedroom, open the door and then open the main door and go trouncing through the neighborhood. Oy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

We have an escape artist with separation anxiety in our family, too. When he gets out, he makes a bee line for the main road to go play in traffic, so it was imperative that we figure something out. We slowly upped the containment ante on him, and the only thing that worked with him was the electric underground fence we finally had installed, turned up to the highest setting. He can jump a six-foot fence, dig under a kennel, wriggle out of any tie-out contraption (we tried multiple collars, harnesses, combinations of the two, etc), and it's all anxiety based. He doesn't go anywhere if we're home; it's only when we leave. He does seem to know when the electric fence isn't on, but provided we keep it on zapper mode, he finally stays put!

Extra tall pro/boarding level dog kennel with concrete base for a dog run. I really don't see how a ridgeback would get out of that...

Or do you mean for your backyard? Not really sure what you are looking for exactly.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Extra tall pro/boarding level dog kennel with concrete base for a dog run. I really don't see how a ridgeback would get out of that...

Or do you mean for your backyard? Not really sure what you are looking for exactly.
    This is what I thought when I read the title of your post but after reading it, it seems the dog can get out of the house or at least a room confinement.

I can't offer any advice but will say that is one VERY SMART DOG!

I know I'm going to be in the market for a new barn/house dog sooner rather than later and will make certain it's NOT a Ridgeback.

Although now that I remember I had a puppy that was a Ridgeback mix with Australian Shepard (accidental breeding) and when he was 2 yrs old proceeded to run through the Invisible Fence to visit the next door neighbor. He didn't care if the fence was on high or a new and stronger battery and actually had holes burned into his neck from the collar so I'm not sure if it was the AS or RR breed that caused that. He already had another dog at home to play with so it wasn't as though he was alone...
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

my escape-artist dog totally respects an invisible fence after only a few minutes of training.
    Real fences, not so much. Can open any door a human can open.
    He has yet to figure out how to undo one of those u-shaped bike locks, which makes them handy for securing kennel doors and the like.

If you really want an escape-proof fence, you'll have to bed it into concrete (no digging), and put a roof on it, a roof that is actually part of the fence (nothing that can be removed). Then lock the door with three u-shaped bike locks.

You don't need concrete to prevent digging. Do what we did for wolf enclosures:

scrape down 6" around the perimeter of a pen 4' out from the fence. Lay chickenwire down and bind that to the upright portion of the fence securely, then bury it with the backfill.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I would try a radio fence. It's similar to the underground fence but much less expensive. It broadcasts a signal and as long as the dog stays within its boundaries there is no zap. If the dog leaves the boundary and loses the signal it is not just one zap but a series of zaps - this can be more effective with a dog that has decided it can take the one time zap in order to gain its freedom. The dog that does escape from this system will not bet a zap when it comes home, unlike the underground fence. Plus, you can buy it at Petsmart and if it doesn't work, you can return it.

And as far as a kennel is concerned - my sister's malamute learned to unravel his chain link kennel when he decided he'd had enough of being contained. He also was a very smart dog.

Thank you! Ideally we are looking to build a run indoors in his existing room. Temperatures in Wisconsin get very extreme so I'd like him to be inside if possible. Where do you get the Pro Boarding fencing? Any ideas? Thanks!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I just realized only 1 paragraph of my post copied! No wonder you were confused! Here is the whole post:
    I adore my brilliant and creative Ridgeback...except when it comes to his unbelievable problem solving skills about confinement! To preface I am a behaviorist and he is in separation anxiety remission. He is thoroughly exercised, happy, well adjusted and well trained. HOWEVER...he Will. Not. Be. Contained. And it's not a question of anxiety anymore except for a once or twice a year attack. He just loves to problem solve. He's got bones, puzzle toys, TV and his own bedroom for when I need to leave. But alas he can unlock and open doors, turn window cranks, remove childproof door locks, remove our "door protectors" and now can move a refrigerator to access and remove the door protector to remove the child-safe door lock, to unlock his bedroom, open the door and then open the main door and go trouncing through the neighborhood. Oy.

SO...I need a solution. He can't be crated as he gas claustrophobia. I trained him to accept a crate but on the occasion he melts down he has seriously injured himself. He needs space. So I thought perhaps I could build an indoor dog run to put in his bedroom! This way he can't continue ruining our doors as he scratches at the door to turn the knob...hence the door protectors which don't work. I need to brainstorm any and all options for building an escape-proof dog run so I can stop him in his tracks. He will try something about a dozen times and if he doesn't succeed he will give up and nap. If it fails he will never stop trying to make it work again!

So speak to me of dog runs. I'm looking into at least 9gauge or stronger as I know him...he will attempt to find ways to get through. I'm trying to decide between chainlink and welded wire. I'm also trying to decide between self-built and just buying one. The area dimensions are 16' long by 7' wide. I'd like it as big as possible to keep him feeling like he's not in a cage. Once built I will, of course, put him through a slow training process to make sure he's not anxious in there. All his bedroom favorites including his futon will be inside with him. Does anyone have product suggestions? Brands? Do-it-yourself ideas?

I'm trying to get this done for under $500 if possible. I just can't have him shredding up my doors while he plays jailbreak and getting completely put of the house is so dangerous. He must be contained! I will continue chanting...I am smarter than my dog. I am smarter then my dog. I am smarter then my dog! In hopes someday I'll outsmart him and it will actually be true! Thanks in advance and I'm excited to hear your ideas!!

Default Fencing or dog run ideas for a Houdini dog!

Your dog should be in Mensa.

This type of dog that actually solves complex situations needs to have a job.
    Trainers that train tracking dogs, or dogs for the airport search high and low for dogs that are good thinkers.

Sorry, I can't help you with the escaping problem but just wanted to say you have an intelligent pooch there.

I have a friend that had a houdini too and they built a long run for him in the yard using woven (not welded) horse diamond mesh no climb wire. Hot wired the botom and the top. That stopped all that.

Have you thought of keeping him outside while you are gone? It does give the dog something else to focus on as there is plenty for them to see outside and fresh air is always a good thing.

He may be getting frustrated also by being in the house as the Rhodesians are in the working dog class.

Sorry, I meant "Pro" like professional grade or boarding kennel grade panels. Heavier gauge. I can get you brand names if you would like, but I know they are more than $500 to do a run. Particularly if you add the cement and roof.

It doesn't sound like that's what you want anyway. I am also in an extreme climate, so I feel your pain. I plan to do an addition to the garage at some point where I add indoor/outdoor kennel runs with an overhang on the outside, and I will insulate heat/cool the garage, but that is obviously not a cheaper solution. We train dogs though as a more serious hobby, so different needs.

That said, my friend picked up 5 kennel runs for free this year from a kennel owner who was retiring, so if you keep your ears open, you never know what will turn up!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

if you just need him to back away from the doors put some hotwire up so he can't get TO the door.

Or they sell things like ZONES that will shock a dog if he tries to enter a space:
    http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Pawz-A.../dp/B000A76ZYS
    put the round thing on the other side of the door and the collar on him, and he might be very deterred from approaching the door to try to get out.

things that use technology will cost less and be more likely to foil him than engaging in an escalating war of putting in stronger and stronger fences. Fences and doors he understands; electrical devices, not so much.

Can you put a bolt lock on the outside of the door, or will he still try to dig through the door?

That's the only thing that I can come up with, that others haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Honestly if the dog wants out of a house badly enough there is nothing to stop him from digging right through the drywall. Had a house bunny that did that, chewed through the drywall.
    Five chain link panels could be used to create a space inside the house, that's four for walls and a roof on top. I believe they can be bought at Tractor Supply. I'd get some cement board and lay that down first on the floor to make a "bottom".
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm so happy to hear I am not the only one with a Houdini Dog! Mine is a border collie mix that was jumpig our 6 ft chain link fence like it was a cross rail. I then put a 6 ft solid wood fence AROUND the chain link fence about 2 ft apart. Nope, didn't work. He just went over both like a mini oxer jump. Added electric and that works about 90% of the time but if he wants out he is willing to take the pain...even on the highest setting. He just screams and wimpers as he bolts through it.

Tried keeping him in the house. Nope. He dug through the dry wall and the cedar siding making his own doggie door one day. That was fun...NOT.

Tried a chainlink kennel from Lowe's on a cement pad wth an attached roof. Nope. He chewed through the chain link.

Finally put up a professional super heavy guage kennel built on the cement pad, full roof, custon built heated dog house (radiant heat floors so no wires to chew through) and that has kept him for over 2 years now.

Of course when I am home he is fine and stays with me, great in the house, etc. I only put him in his pen when I am not home. I don't feel so bad since he has a heated dog house, all his bones and a nice bed in there. He goes in willingly so I think he feels OK with his accomodations.