The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever done a land/home swap?

Since my house could sit in this rotten market for years, was thinking "How do I find someone on a farmette who wants to trade their place for mine?"

So they're like me: they want out but know their farmette could sit on the listings for years, so they don't even bother. Yet they still want to downgrade.... meanwhile lil ol' me and Mr. ChocoMare want to upgrade.

Granted, I wouldn't have the foggiest on how to even find such a person/deal so wanted to see if anyone else has BT/DT yet and could point.

Thanks!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

hmm, i guess there must be swap sites out there, but posting here and on other farm/equestrian sites is also good. ya never know who reads it and knows someone thinking about the very same thing.

so are you interested in a farmette in vermont,lol?
    and what's your place like?

There is a place on realtor.com, and I'm sure other listing sites where you say will trade for comparable property.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Well, Suz, while I like Vermont, I've grown quite fond of Georgia and want to stay local. Besides, the older I get, the less I like cold... and I had my fill of snow growing up in NY

Thanks for the tip Jan. I may just call our realtors and see if they think I'm out of my mind
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

There used to be, they may still be, tax advantages to trade land around.
    I know several ranches and farms that have been exchanging hands over the years when someone wanted a different place.

You may want to run that by your accountant or real estate certified attorney.
    They may also know who is looking you could trade with.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

A very good friend of mine did a swap deal in the last year. It was incredible for her. She and her mom owned their tri-level in town. Zero mortgage. The farm owner had a mortgage on the property, ranch home with barn and acreage... was close to losing it. Interesting part was that the farm was in 2 parcels... one with the house on it, the other with the land (6-ish acres) and the barn). They ended up trading the the tri-level for the barn/land parcel and took out a mortgage on the ranch house. Best part is should something DRASTIC happen and my friend can't pay her mortgage, she still owns the barn and acreage outright! It was a wonky deal but one that I think worked out great for all involved. Motivation on the part of the farm seller was a key IMHO.

Can't help much with the "how to find" part of the question. These folks knew each other as my friend boarded at this farm a few years ago.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

The realtors (the good ones at least) usually know if there is anything available, and sometimes the realtor is the one with the property.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    There used to be, they may still be, tax advantages to trade land around.
    I know several ranches and farms that have been exchanging hands over the years when someone wanted a different place.

You may want to run that by your accountant or real estate certified attorney.
    They may also know who is looking you could trade with.
    1031 exchange has to be for a business use though...I don't think the house in town would qualify. But I'm not a CPA either.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

You might consider a local area free list or even craigslist.
    You are not looking for someone who just wants to sell
    their farm, you want to find someone who is ready to move from the farm to a house in town. Maybe they have
    not really considered that option and will realize it would
    be desirable if they see the possibility in your listing. You
    could try putting an ad for "trade" where you think that
    older or otherwise retiring from farm life folks might read
    it in your area whether that is online, a church bulletin,
    a bulletin board at the local farm store...
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I did. There was a price differential but it still all worked out. A realtor can help walk you through everything, it was really quite easy.

Contact the realtors listing farmettes you would be interested in around your price range. The realtors often know what their clients are looking for (because they not only want to help them sell, but purchase their next place).

Or, perhaps your realtor can include "will trade for farmette" on your house listing to help open that possibility.