The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RIP Phoenix

Lightening took our beloved Phoenix the other night - a very tragic loss. You old-timers might remember that Phoenix was our 'introduction' to driving; he was the horse who started us on this adventure. I began driving him only to have my husband decide it was too much fun and I 'lost' my horse (but went on to discover Polish Driving Ponies ). Hubby then went on to pair Phoenix with his daughter Mehru and what a lovely pair they were. With the loss of Phoenix Joe will go back to driving a single - Mehru.

It just seems so unfair as we lost Phoenix's sire, Pikor, in a tragic accident at the age of 12; Phoenix was 13. We had put Mehru up for sale but thankfully nothing had been finalized so we'll still have a Pikor baby to drive. Seems strange only seeing two big horses in the pasture, though, after so many years of running 20 to 30 head.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

So terribly sorry for your loss. I worry about all the lightning in the bad pop-up storms in our area every day.

Gallop on, Phoenix.

Oh Pat, how sorry I am to hear this! Besides the loss of fun, he was totally a family member for you folks. So hard to lose the good ones. Just don't know how to express my deep sympathy to you guys.

I am so sorry for your loss. We had a terrific storm here two nights ago (first rain in weeks) and feared for ours.. very sad to lose one in his prime.

So very sorry for your loss.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Very sorry, Pat. Phoenix was a lovely boy.

Godspeed Phoenix.

My sincerest sympathy --
    PennyG

The scary thing about this is that there is no way to protect against lightening. I checked with my good friend, Dr. Rebecca Gimenez of TLAER (Technical Large Animal Emergency Rescue) , and she confirmed this. Stalled in or turned out seems to make no difference. My horses are used to being out with a shelter to go in as they choose; to have stalled them in, especially in a violent storm, would've caused panic and most likely injury. And when a barn gets hit and goes up in flames, many lives are lost.

It was some comfort to know that we had Phoenix in the best situation possible; it's just sad that it wasn't good enough to save him.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

A friend at our barn lost a horse to a lightning strike and the horse was in her stall at the time. You couldn't have done anything better than you did. It was just one of those very sad occurences.

Hugs to you. There was nothing you could do, and it was not your fault.

We had a dog struck by lighning 3 years ago and though it was terrible our paddock with our 2 ponies in it was just feet from him. It could have easily have hit one of them.

How devistating for you and your family....I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Hugs to you and Joe. So very, very sorry for your loss of Phoenix. Michael asked me to pass along his condolences also. We both really admired him. He was amazing in person and such a presence. I will miss the photos of him and Joe. :-(

Pam

I am sorry for your loss. It seems a lot of horses this year are being lost to lightening.

There is a discussion about lightening in Around the farm, Lightening rods and how to protect your electrical chargers are discussed.
    Last edited by fivehorses; Jul. 27, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

That's horrible. I'm so sorry for your loss.

What sad news! You gave him a great life, and he was lucky to have you. RIP Phoenix!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I am so sorry for your loss. I too live in fear of losing a horse to lightning. Our house and land is on top of a steep hill and we've had direct strikes on the property. Luckily all we've lost so far is a cheap fuse for the well pump, but every storm finds me holding my breath.

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by RMJacobs View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss. I too live in fear of losing a horse to lightning. Our house and land is on top of a steep hill and we've had direct strikes on the property. Luckily all we've lost so far is a cheap fuse for the well pump, but every storm finds me holding my breath.

Rebecca
    Have you tried planting some Black Walnut trees up on the high ground? Local country/farmer lore says you plant the Black Walnuts to DRAW the lightning away from home and barn during a storm. Trees do get pretty tall, and are supposedly "oily" wood which is a reason they attract lightning.

Truth or legend, most old farmsteads locally, around many parts of the Midwest, have a couple strategically placed Black Walnuts just a bit higher, AWAY from the buildings. If the older farm folks are still there, they will often tell you that the Black Walnut trees HAVE taken a strike or two over the years.

If you plan to stay a while, planting a couple Black Walnuts away from the horses, could be an idea to try out. Sure wouldn't HURT anything to have them up on the top of the hill to get struck! Our neighbor has the Black Walnuts in his yard across the street. We get the possible lightning benefits, without having the leaves and nuts!

Goodhors, thanks for the suggestion, but I'd be surprised if they would grow in this climate and elevation and without irrigation. We are dry, dry, dry, and the only tree that grows naturally on our land is Ponderosa pine (luckily we have lots of those--about 60 or so). Our covenants prohibit landscaping and irrigation, although that doesn't seem to stop my neighbors. But when we moved here, we felt we agreed to the covenants and it's not right to violate them. Plus our well won't support irrigation (and that is the new well that we just drilled less than two years ago).

Life is definitely different at 6,200 feet and with very little rainfall.

It's funny--we have a neighbor with a fruit orchard (don't know what they are thinking to try to do that). And we wonder why we had to drill a deeper well. We are live and let live type of people, so we would never try to take legal action for all the violations around here, even though they have a profound impact on aquifer levels for everyone. But it really makes me wonder why people choose to live in a place like this and then try to turn it into the East or Midwest.

Rebecca

Oh well, maybe someone else can use the Black Walnut tree tip in their locations. Save a horse or barn with it.

I never could figure why people want to make a new location into what they just left!? Seems like you should adapt to the new place and its limits, enjoy it's unique characteristics, even if it is not what you are used to.

Maybe being dry, you could ask about lightning rods for the hill top, with a good grounding system to drain off the energy.

What's interesting is that Colorado State University lists Black Walnut trees as a good tree for low water conditions. But they do say you need to give them a good start.

I also don't get why people want to transform a place--choose what you like and live there!

Rebecca