The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sell the saddle or keep it?

I've got one horse, but two saddles. For a while I was riding exclusively in the one saddle but really, since it's more of a trail/all-purpose, it didn't really help my position much and even though my showing aspirations are pretty modest (local schooling shows and jumps lower than 3 feet), I still really wanted a nice brown jumping saddle, hah. So I bought another saddle that actually seems to generally fit better and I haven't ridden in the trail saddle in months, even to trail ride as the new saddle (new to me, anyway) is pretty darn comfortable anyway.

Periodically, I consider selling the old saddle, it's still in good condition, and it's a good brand and so on. But then I think, "but what if something happens to the jumping saddle and you need a backup?? Is a few hundred dollars now worth the wait for you to get another saddle?"

Ugh. I don't know, I can see both sides here. As it is, the old saddle's just taking up space, but it could still be useful. Someday.

What do you guys think?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I'm a firm believer in keeping a spare around just in case.

I've also been accused of being a tack hoarder so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If the money could at all be useful, sell it! You haven't used and that's not likely to change. Chances are nothing will happen that would keep your other saddle out of commission for an extended period of time.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

The money could be possibly useful in that there are things I know I'm going to want in the future (tentative, back-of-the-mind plans to move far away in the next few years and I'll want to bring the horse with me, a possible trip with a friend in the next year or two overseas, buying a trailer-hauling vehicle in the more immediate future...) where having the money at least earning a little bit of interest in savings would be more useful than a saddle sitting around gathering dust.

But you know, it's not like I'm hurting paying bills either so it's not like the money is necessary.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

ONLY 2 saddles? wow, I wouldn't even think of selling it, a spare is always comforting to keep around
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    ONLY 2 saddles? wow, I wouldn't even think of selling it, a spare is always comforting to keep around
    That's what I'm thinking - 3 horses (1 is a pasture puff), 8 saddles. The great thing about saddles is they don't eat!

Keep the spare. If you sell it you will undoubtedly have a change in circumstances and find youself needing it. You will not be able to buy a new one for the sale price of the old one.

Dont ask me, no horse 2 saddles, and looking or a more padded dressage one
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I have one horse and 5 saddles! One is for sale, but still.

If it fits and you think you may use it in the future, keep it.

Another thing to consider before selling is how difficult would it be to replace if you decide later one that you actually did need it?

I sold a saddle I thought I'd never need b/c it was reallt too small for me. Now that I've lost 76 lbs. I need it. I always do the wrong thing.

Wow, huge congrats Walknsound!

OP, always keep one backup saddle.

I sold off my extra saddles a year or two ago. 9 saddles and 2 horses was kind of pushing it. Now I have 4 saddles. I only use 3, the 4th was bought for Mr Blue but never used. Will probably sell that someday. I keep a dressage, a cc and a western in the barn.

Although I'll admit to saddle shopping on and off. There's one more I want, I'll stop there though. I only put up 4 saddle racks in the barn, hoping it forces me to stick to that many, LOL!

Now boots....I have a boot problem. I've been good and haven't bought any in almost a year though.

Do keep an extra saddle, OP. Murphy's Law dictates that right after you sell it, you're going to need it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thanks Misty, but lost the weight after my husband's death, grief will do it to you! I would forget to eat. Needed to lose it, but not that way. Not meant to highjack thread, just letting you know there was no miracle weight loss gimmick involved. If not for friends nagging me to eat I guess I would've died.

oh, you can never have too many saddles..