The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony Pricing Thread

Been out of the loop for awhile, so I could use a little help. I'm going to be brief, because I don't want these to be sale ads. Just looking at what end I should price these guys at.

3yo popular breed medium pony. Popular color. Regular division type. Lightly started under saddle.

4yo popular cross large pony. Popular color. Should be a regular division pony. Lightly started under saddle.

Both are mares and neither are chestnut. Both could model and will get hack prizes.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

It's so funny, i was going to start a similar thread.
    Mind if I join yours?

Mine is 3 yr old small, Welsh, going to be a good size, grey, great brain, gelding,

w,t,c with a small 10 yr old jumping cross rail courses with lead change. Could model. Good mover, good jumper. No idea what to price him at. It would be easier if he were older. He's an old soul in a 3 yr old body. He's been SO easy.

If you do a search on bigeq.com you can find other young pony prospects for sale. Many are priced well under $10K; some of those seem to have experience showing on the line.

I would venture to say under 5K, more if the ponies come from a line of well known, successful pony hunters or if you are involved with a BNT who is helping with the training/marketing. Ponies will fetch significantly more money if they are in professional training at a show barn than if they are in a backyard.

Their manners & size will also be a determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by westie55 View Post
    If you do a search on bigeq.com you can find other young pony prospects for sale. Many are priced well under $10K; some of those seem to have experience showing on the line.

I would venture to say under 5K, more if the ponies come from a line of well known, successful pony hunters or if you are involved with a BNT who is helping with the training/marketing. Ponies will fetch significantly more money if they are in professional training at a show barn than if they are in a backyard.

Their manners & size will also be a determining factor.
    Thank you. Both have great brains and are quite fancy. I want to get them moved, but don't want to send them out to sell, so I was thinking more in the $2,500 range for quick sales. However, I didn't know where the economey was at and if that was even too much.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

3yo popular breed medium pony. Popular color. Regular division type. Lightly started under saddle. Depends on the area, could a junior easily finish him? If a junior could get him finished, you could easily market him as a kid's next medium green and around here (zone 4, Tennessee, shows like Charleston, Conyers, KY) could go from 4-10k. Probably your best price point would be at 6k, and take 3k if it's a great home.

4yo popular cross large pony. Popular color. Should be a regular division pony. Lightly started under saddle. see above for conditions, 4-8k. Larges aren't in high demand around here, because a lot of kids are skipping the larges and going straight from mediums to horses. Your best price point would be about 7k and take 3k to a good home.

Also keep in mind, that if you were to put a few more miles on these ponies and get them jumping small things (crossrails/verticals around 2'3"), they'll be worth more, and you could probably ask 8-12 for each.

Mine is 3 yr old small, Welsh, going to be a good size, grey, great brain, gelding, w,t,c with a small 10 yr old jumping cross rail courses with lead change. Could model. Good mover, good jumper. No idea what to price him at. It would be easier if he were older. He's an old soul in a 3 yr old body. He's been SO easy. Smalls, especially young ones are really hard to sell. Firstly, a lot of kids are skipping smalls. Most kids old enough to handle the smalls over a division height course are too tall, but to the right kid it could be a good sell. With some show miles you could probably ask 15, but without you're looking at 2.5-6k. Don't take anything less than you paid for him though, or definitely nothing lesson than 2.5k.