The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony going on trial tomorrow - feeling sad

So, my DD's first pony is going out on trial tomorrow. She outgrew her, ability-wise & size-wise faster than we thought. We had her for almost 2 years. We said our goodbyes today in case she does not come back on Thursday.

You would've thought she had died the way I, as the mom, carried on. I held it together for my DD - who was already upset enough. When I was alone, I went into her stall and told her how much I love her, thanked her for bringing so much pure joy into both mine and my DD's life, thanked her for taking care of her and teaching her so much and I told her to be good for the little 7 year old who is trying her out. I told her she always has a piece of my heart. Then I sobbed into her back. Now I need to go shower, because I smell like fly spray.

I just needed to share. Thank you. I'm sure a lot of you out there understand. If I could afford multiple horses, I would keep her forever.

This is why I have too many horses. I have such a hard time selling. I hope she will be close by and you will see her, out enjoying herself with her new little girl.
    Hugs to you.

It must be so hard....I've said goodbye to fosters but not my own. But I cried when I dropped my daughter's pony off to have surgery last fall - it felt like leaving my own child . I hope the trial goes well and she's just as wonderful for her new little girl.

This is why I cant buy a horse. Im afraid that we wont be a good match but Ill still love him and I cant afford two horses. I get too attached. Ive always leased with the mind frame that the horse will never be mine. I know you're sorry to see him go, but now he gets to teach another person's DD.