The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default French Team's Jackets & Other Style Observations

I read somewhere that Hermes designed and made the jackets the French riders are wearing. I think they look awesome and deserve the "style" award! I've been kind of surprised in recent years how many riders wear red jackets. I can remember when it was mostly American team members that wore "pinque." I think the Brits and the Suisse have good looking jackets also. I don't much care for the Saudis' outfits including the saddle pads. Also, don't care for MMB's brown boots - they just don't look formal to me but I'm pretty old school.

I've noticed some really beautiful boots, with a band of the country's colors around the top. I thought that was really a nice touch.

The Antares helmet is gorgeous; really flattering, and totally customizable, but I don't see anyone wearing them. Por qua?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I kind of hate the Netherland's jackets-I'm not a fan of orange.
    Always love the red team USA jackets
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    USA jackets look sharp, especially with having to "earn" one by being a USET team member representing at the International level... Makes it much more prestigious and honorable!
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Also really like the Swiss saddle pads!

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    The Netherlands has always had the "House of Orange" as it's royalty is known. Not a great color, but one rich in the history of the Netherlands. (A branch of our family is from there, the Flanders.)

And isn't Coreene dutch? She will know all the history of the country and why the royal house chose orange.

Because they ruled the principality of Orange (South of France)
    Orange is the name of the city.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

In all the sports I hear the commentators talking about the Netherland athletes being highly visible because they all wear orange...I never knew why...thanks

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I think MMB's brown boots look pretty good with just about everything but the team jacket, but I admit, as soon as her horse started jumping I forgot all about the color of her boots!

Loved the French team jackets.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I thought the French jackets tres chic myself, especially when worn by the incredibly elegant Penelope. She gets my vote for "Best Dressed!"

I, too, wish that red jackets were the exclusive domain of the US, if only because when you're watching a replay and don't have a ton of time, it makes it easy while fast-forwarding to scan for red jackets. Except I kept stopping for people from Mexico or somewhere else who "stole" the red jackets, LOL!

Didn't the Germans ride in grey jackets with orange collars this past year (not here at the Olympics, but elsewhere)? I always thought they would be a stylish design for the dutch team - not overly orange.

That said, I'm really unsure why Germans would have orange on their collars. ???
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    Because they ruled the principality of Orange (South of France)
    Orange is the name of the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    Didn't the Germans ride in grey jackets with orange collars this past year (not here at the Olympics, but elsewhere)? I always thought they would be a stylish design for the dutch team - not overly orange.

That said, I'm really unsure why Germans would have orange on their collars. ???
    Well, they probably at one time occupied the principality of Orange.

The French jackets look swell, but I am not crazy about the shorter length of the newer jackets.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Penelope Leprevost is the closest thing the equestrian world has to a style icon.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I think the orange on the dressage riders looks extremely cool.

I loved the red points and collars on the British dressage team's shadbellies. Easy to recognise, too. Charlotte Dujardin also gets points for coordinating the piping on her helmet, too.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I don't particularly care for that color of blue in a riding jacket except on a grey horse, but they all ride better than me so what do I know?

LOL
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

At least one of the Belgian dressage team members had her points in the colors of the flag. It looked lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post

I, too, wish that red jackets were the exclusive domain of the US.... I kept stopping for people from Mexico or somewhere else who "stole" the red jackets, LOL!
    No one "stole " the red jackets. They were originally standard wear for all male showjumpers in the first half of the 20th century as they were derived from English hunting pink coats (not "pinque". Pink was the name of a 19th century tailor) and almost every showjumper hunted their horses in winter back then.
    You will never see a British woman wear a scarlet jacket on a team as women wear black or navy hunting, and never scarlet, not even if they are Master of Hounds.(To this day my Brit husband seethes when he sees a woman wearing a red jacket, and I understand his point.)

Not a big fan of the shorty jackets either - a longer skirt is so much more elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roheryn View Post
    No one "stole " the red jackets. They were originally standard wear for all male showjumpers in the first half of the 20th century as they were derived from English hunting pink coats (not "pinque". Pink was the name of a 19th century tailor) and almost every showjumper hunted their horses in winter back then.
    You will never see a British woman wear a scarlet jacket on a team as women wear black or navy hunting, and never scarlet, not even if they are Master of Hounds.(To this day my Brit husband seethes when he sees a woman wearing a red jacket, and I understand his point.)

Not a big fan of the shorty jackets either - a longer skirt is so much more elegant.
    Sorry about the "Pinque." Don't think I made it up but good to know it isn't correct. I agree that Brazil's show jumping jackets are very nice and I love the Brits' dressage shadbellies with the red points and piping and, of couse, Charlotte's helmet with the red piping. The French wore navy blue gloves in the show jumping. I think that is a nice touch. I remember showing Indoors in 1967 and seeing Katie Monihan Prudent in a short jacket. It was the first one I had seen coming from GA where we still wore the old style very roomy and long jackets. I remember admiring her and her jacket alot. I think it somewhat depends on body type as to which style jacket looks the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Penelope Leprevost is the closest thing the equestrian world has to a style icon.
    Agree, she always seems to look chic. And MMB is gorgeous and also always looks put together.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/