The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PPE Vets at Penn National

Can anyone give me any insight on the CANTER recommended vets?

Dr. Allen Bonnell
    603-512-2739

Brophy, Motta and Associates, DVM
    Dr. Kevin Brophy/Dr. Fernando Motta/Dr. Chris Korte
    717-821-1319
    www.brophymotta-assoc.com
    Capable of digital x-rays.

Horseshoe Valley Equine Center
    Dr. Renee Nodine
    717-867-1880

I'd like a basic PPE, blood pulled, and X-rays of ankles and knees. Can I get this for under 500?

Thanks!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

I don't know the first person but the other two listed are great. I think Renee is probably more available than Brophy. I remember once I wanted to get maturity films taken before working a horse and Brophy took so long that the horse was three by the time he got around to it. I knew they had to be closed by then and just kept going on with him. No idea on your price range.

Thanks!

Try to get a hold of Dr Murphy.
    He's best one in that place.
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

do you have contact info?

Brophy & Motta were Mike Gill's go to guys, both at Penn and Elk Creek. So anything you need or want done, they'll do it.

I used Dr Bonnell for a very quick and dirty PPE (no x-rays) and liked him though it was so cursory I can't say a lot about his abilities. At the time (~2 yrs ago) he couldn't do digital x-rays for same-day though.

The vets who could (I believe Renee Nodine was among them) were less interested in coming to the track and at the time I called would have been a ~ 2 week wait which was too long.

The vets mentioned are at the track every single day. Morning and night if they are racing.

Called Renee and waiting to hear back if she'll have time this week. Seems very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
    Brophy & Motta were Mike Gill's go to guys, both at Penn and Elk Creek. So anything you need or want done, they'll do it.
    So, what you are saying is Brophy and Motta are guilty by association? Which is completely unfair and down right nasty. I know differently and what I know did not come from what has been written/reported, nor is it hear-say, second hand, or internet misinformation. I have no reservations what so ever of using Dr. Brophy
    Last edited by gumtree; Aug. 9, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't know the first person but the other two listed are great. I think Renee is probably more available than Brophy. I remember once I wanted to get maturity films taken before working a horse and Brophy took so long that the horse was three by the time he got around to it. I knew they had to be closed by then and just kept going on with him. No idea on your price range.
    We have never had any trouble or unreasonable delays with getting Dr. Brophy to look at horses for us here at the farm. But we de have a large horse population. And he is not exactly around the block from us. He does not do a lot of racetrack work. He would be a good choice for a PPE. For the record we use a number of different Vets. I am a big believer in second opinions, sometimes third. I have found it is not an exact science.

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    So, what you are saying is Brophy and Motta are guilty by association? Which is completely unfair and down right nasty. I know differently and what I know did not come from what has been written/reported, nor is it hear-say, second hand, or internet misinformation. I have no reservations what so ever of using Dr. Brophy
    Good on you, nice to have friends. Perhaps you might tell the good folks of this forum why he's ruled off???

We have never had any trouble or unreasonable delays with getting Dr. Brophy to look at horses for us here at the farm. But we de have a large horse population. And he is not exactly around the block from us. He does not do a lot of racetrack work. He would be a good choice for a PPE. For the record we use a number of different Vets. I am a big believer in second opinions, sometimes third. I have found it is not an exact science.
    He does none-because he's not allowed on the premesis. Might you know why?
    Even more interesting is why his vet practice associates are still allowed in there while he's not? Sure makes being ruled off a joke
    More Business as Usual
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Profidia View Post
    Good on you, nice to have friends. Perhaps you might tell the good folks of this forum why he's ruled off???

He does none-because he's not allowed on the premesis. Might you know why?
    Even more interesting is why his vet practice associates are still allowed in there while he's not? Sure makes being ruled off a joke
    More Business as Usual
    Fair enough. If he is/was ruled off it is a matter of public record. Please let me/others know where this can be found. I have been around the block a few times. But never too proud not to stand corrected. I will also bring it up the next time he is in my barn.

Far, faaaaar more than just association. You know differently? What you know is, nothing!

Eek, I guess I know why he didn't call me back...lol

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    Eek, I guess I know why he didn't call me back...lol
    Let's forget about him for a minute and let me ask you this-Why do you want a racetrack vet to do your PPE?

Assuming you're buying a horse from a trainer in that place?

If that's the case figure it like this, those vets all deal with those trainers on a daily basis. They're going to stand behind the trainer or risk losing their business. Is really zero chance of their being fair and impartial as somebody not associated with the trainers would be.

Anybody else out there see it that way?
    Michael Gill-2010

You definitely seem to see corruption and dishonesty everywhere you look. Not every vet on the grounds works with every trainer every day, or ever for that matter. Bringing in an outside vet can be difficult and cause you lost time which isn't something the buyer always has to lose as clearly evidenced in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Profidia View Post
    Let's forget about him for a minute and let me ask you this-Why do you want a racetrack vet to do your PPE?

Assuming you're buying a horse from a trainer in that place?

If that's the case figure it like this, those vets all deal with those trainers on a daily basis. They're going to stand behind the trainer or risk losing their business. Is really zero chance of their being fair and impartial as somebody not associated with the trainers would be.

Anybody else out there see it that way?
    I have used race track vets for 40 years, from NJ to PA to DEL to FL, and have never had a vet who would be other than honest and impartial when doing work for me.

Just expressing an alternate possibility:

If I were doing a PPE at Penn, if available, I'd use either Wade Wisner from Green Glen 717-235-4312 or Bob Kraybill, Cumberland Valley Equine Service 717-249-7771 (I think that is still his phone #).

I left Penn almost 11 years ago so am more than a little out of the loop, but Dr Brophy examined a friend's horse on the backside of Penn National the day before yesterday. No mention of him being incognito so I assume he was there legally.