The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Place to sell a saddle

Looking for the best places to sell a barely used saddle. I plan to post on ebay and my local USEA area classifieds. Anywhere else? Located in Huntsville, Alabama. Thanks
    Now living in Area 3, Sweet Home Alabama

I think it depends on what type of saddle it is and how much you are willing to wait for the price you want and how many people in your local area might be interested in it.

If it's a high end saddle such as any of the French brands, Tad Coffin, County, Schleese, etc. you might have some luck on fineusedsaddles.com. I don't recall what their commission is, but I'm pretty sure they state it somewhere on their website. That seems to be an active site and the lady who runs it is very knowledgeable.

When you say "barely used" what does that mean exactly? Is it in demo condition, meaning that you can hardly tell anyone has ridden in it except for perhaps the saddle having been girthed up? If so, then look into what comparable demo saddles are being sold for at your local shops. Some of the shops I know will sell demos for 5-10% off assuming that they are in the condition that I stated above. At the same time, they still offer the same warranty and misc. guarantees. If you are trying to sell a saddle you may have to drop the price more than that to be competitive with the shops, particularly if the warranties and other benefits aren't transferable. I know one company that won't transfer the warranty without a hefty fee.

COTH classifieds?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Saddle is a Keiffer Venedig, Black, all pupose jumping saddle. Purchased for $2,200 for husband. Horse he was leasing went lame, retired him, saddle was used maybe at most 15 times. Saddle is listed here but price is in British pounds -- http://www.saddlesdirectemporium.com...r-Venedig.aspx

Would like to sell it first before I put it on consignment. Could send it to Pelham - Saddlery. I did buy the saddle from them new....
    Now living in Area 3, Sweet Home Alabama

I sold a Collegiate close contact on USEA. Shipped it to Texas. Try listing on other USEA area classifieds, if they allow it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant