The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short hair at a show? (AKA Haircut Remorse)

I just cut my hair short and I'm still kind of in denial

I had my horse show hair all figured out when it was shoulder length, but now when I try to get it looking neat and tidy at chin length, I still get those little itty bitty short hairs at the base of my neck that really ruin the whole look.

I've seen the famous short hunter hair post involving stockings and other things that in Venezuela we would lovingly call "witchery" but it still doesn't keep those unsightly short hairs at the base of my neck in check. I can get it all pinned in place, over my ears and everything, then hold it together with a hair net (and lots and lots of flammable spray) but those stupid little hairs won't go away. WWYD? Shave them off? I'm considering it.

Uggh. Haircut remorse.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

1 members found this post helpful.

whoah whoah whoah step away from the razor!!!!!!! QuicBraid is your friend. do your hair then spray the bitty bits and gently use a comb to flatten it to your head. another spray and it should stay in place no problem

Yes, shave them off. I used to sport a cute bob cut but had to shave those pesky ones off that did ruin the look of a cute haircut. Just looks much neater and professional that way

What to do what to dooooo. *holds razor in one hand and quicbraid in the other, glances warily from one to the other*
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

Default Hold off on the razor!!

What about these hairnets?

Maybe these might work, along with the QuicBraid?

I find that these keep the little hairs in place all over much better than other hairnets... You don't have to use any clips. I have always cringed at using clips under my helmet - just seems like a bad idea to have sharp objects close to my head in the event of a fall.

These are more expensive, but they last forever! They are nice and snug to your head. Your tack shop might carry them. I know mine does.

Step away from the razor!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have one of those RWR hairnets and I love it, but it still doesn't seem to keep the hairs contained. Maybe I'll try the quicbraid.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

I use a product called hair gum from Garnier or one of those available at Sprawlmart on my hair for work. Other than the little hairs that are loose from the constant rubbing on my collar, it works pretty good.

Don't shave it, you'll regret it again.

And at least this is a cheaper problem... I really should buy a new helmet, it's very tight now that my hair is about 12'' to 16'' longer.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

OMG please put the razor down!!! It will only be harder to deal with once those hairs start growing back! Hair gel and small bobby pins should help alot. Also try adding a little water to the mix--in a spray bottle. If the little hairs are wet when you put them up they tend to stay where they are once they dry. Ask me how I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Put the razor down before you make everything worse. If you think you have problems now, then wait till you shave a chunk out with the razor, or cut yourself. In ye olden days when they braided at college they used Dippity Doo, and so I think that any really tough hair gel, or paste or gum should work. Especially try any gum or paste that's for extreme hair, like the stuff people use for spikes.

I've always maintained the worst sentence in the English language is: It'll grow back eventually. Your tiny back hairs will grow out, and then you'll be used to handling your hair, and everything will be fine.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

*puts the razor down and backs away slowly*

Point taken. I'll just gel the crap out of it for now. Thanks for talking me down guys. My stylist, my husband and my self respect thank you.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com

The RWR hairnets definitely are a godsend for those who have short hair. DD's hair is a bob and baby fine that slips out of a normal hair net. There is no way that she'd ever keep all of her hair up without these. When you put it on, be sure to do as it says without pulling it up too far so that it goes past those fine hairs.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Double hair nets - and use the thick ones you buy at the tack store. Pull from the back of the neck towards the top of your forehead. Pull tight, twist and pin in place. Place another hairnet over the first using the same procedure.

Put helmet on back to front.

I have a graduated bob. Works for me.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef