The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Child safe walk/trot pony and mini donkey near Cincinnati, Ohio

Pepper (a 13.2 hand 30 year old POA gelding) and Frankie (a 14 year old mini donkey) are available for free lease within reasonable driving distance of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The good about Pepper:
    -He is VERY safe and still very ridable despite his age!
    -He looks and acts like a 10 year old horse, NOBODY can believe his age
    -Has been a wonderful beginner-intermediate lesson pony for 20+ years
    -Light to leg and rein aids, but won't overreact to a beginner's accidental bumps. He also rides just as well with a halter and lead rope as he does with a bit, and he was a hunter for years but he also neck reins.
    -Goes barefoot, self loads, kids can clip whiskers, etc..
    -Has been to a million shows and is super quiet

The bad about Pepper:
    -Has worn down teeth so he can't really eat hay. He eats grass fine, and just needs his pellets soaked. He also gets soaked hay cubes/beet pulp and chaff in winter.
    -Has hock arthritis so he is limited to being a walk/trot pony who can do the occasional canter. I have not pursued injections so they may help if you want to try.
    -I bought him from a VERY dusty lesson barn and he would cough in the dust, I have not had a problem with him in my barn (I've owned him for around 10 years). I do keep him outside a lot. I would require his new home have plenty of turnout (12 hours or he can live outside).
    -He does not get along well with other horses, so needs a field for just him and his buddy Frankie.

The good about Frankie:
    -He is SUPER quiet and kid safe and kids can literally do anything to him!
    -He is broke to ride and drive and he pulls a sled in winter! (He could use a refresher on steering easier, right now you have to pull a little hard).
    -Is practically free to feed - he stays fat on nothing!

The bad about Frankie:
    -Um.... he's fat. Sometimes he paws at the stall door for a while when you take Pepper out to ride. His bray sounds goofy and can scare neighbors the first time they hear it

These boys are available for a short or long term free lease within a reasonable driving distance of Cincinnati. References required, to a good home ONLY! They are both exceptional little guys who would be a great opportunity for the right family! MANY more photos available for serious inquiries.

There are a few photos here:
    http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/MinervaTK
    Last edited by Flying Hearts; Aug. 17, 2012 at 03:11 PM.

These two boys are still available! They're bored and they would love to have a job!