The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

" Pretty cool era for mounted archery, excepting 1750 and earlier! What a cool Olympic sport that would be, too..."

Where I live, mounted shooting is becoming very popular, perhaps mounted archery will be next. A very fun spectator sport as well.

"I don't think PNW Natives had much use for hunting on horseback, the horse was late to come to the area, because they weren't as big on hunting big game and had no real need for horses."

Uh, how about the Nez Perce? (PNW Indians that traveled on their well bred Appaloosa horses) to search out and hunt the buffalo, read the logs of Lewis and Clark,...... the Shoshones were horse people of Montana and were driven into the mountains but traveled by HORSEBACK to hunt on the plains of Montana.

Have you ever ridden out in the woods amongst the deer? You cannot walk amongst the deer but you sure can ride amongst them because they let down their guard when you are on a horse and you can get closer. Would you consider a mule deer small game?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If they had the special qualifier for Sharbatly and the Jordanian, who couldn't qualify normally, I think it rather offends me that the Saudis didn't offer the same opportunity to that female rider who was said to have been left off their team "because she didn't qualify."
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If they had the special qualifier for Sharbatly and the Jordanian, who couldn't qualify normally, I think it rather offends me that the Saudis didn't offer the same opportunity to that female rider who was said to have been left off their team "because she didn't qualify."
    Be offended all you want but as I posted on another thread, her horse was injured. There was no point in offering her a chance to qualify in a special class.

Quote from her mother in the Guardian (June 25, 2012):

Dalma Rushdi Malhas, who won bronze in the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in 2010, was seen as the country's most likely representative. But her mother, Arwa Mutabagani, told the Guardian she would not be able to compete because her horse, Caramell KS, was injured.

"Unfortunately her horse got injured, and there is no chance of her getting to the Olympics this time," said Mutabagani, herself a former showjumper. "You have to have the combination. It would be like a Formula One driver going to the track without their car." Caramell was bought from Sweden for a substantial sum at the end of last year to help Malhas's Olympic bid, but an injury to its back was diagnosed six weeks ago and it will not have recovered in time for the Games.

Smile Really interested read on the Saudi's 40 mil went somewhere

http://www.horsesportinternational.com/ ... dal-games/

Read this persons blog she actually got in touch with someone to find out how the Saudis got qualified.
    Quite an interesting and eye opening piece.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.