The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stall flooring and barn aisle

We are almost to the point where we will be doing the flooring for both our stalls and barn aisle. I am pretty sure we are going with brushed concrete in the center aisle with matting in the center. For the stalls we are going to use a base of sand and crushed concrete then stall mats on top. I have visited a few barns locally and this seems to work nicely. Can you let me know your experience?

I have a sawdust over dirt aisle- I like it because I can ride on it, drop a colt to geld, etc. I also get sawdust green from the mill, so I spread it down the barn aisle to dry out.

My stalls are similar to what you're planning- mine are stone and Class I sand (limestone sand) with mats over the top. I have the ordinary TSC mats, 6 to a stall, cut if needed to fit around posts, etc. Depending on the horse, the mats either stay in place, shift just a tiny bit every now and then, or move a whole lot and often. For the most part, they're trouble free with most horses. We'll pull mats out and re-level the stall on an as-needed basis- generally less than once a year. I like the system- it works and is fairly inexpensive.

I was given a bunch of grid stuff- stall grid, stable grid can't remember the actual name- so I have that in one stall. My piggy pees-a-lot mare occupies that stall. If it weren't so expensive, I'd have it in every stall. Much of the urine drains through, so her stall is a breeze to clean compared to being on mats. This mare also paws. A LOT. We thought for sure she's somehow tear it up, but she hasn't.

What I would never have is concrete in stalls. I know plenty of people do and like it. I worked on concrete for years in a factory- no matter how many mats I was standing on, at the end of the day my back,feet and legs hurt. Yet I could spend the same amount of time on my feet, working harder, but outdoors on lawn/pasture ground and I wasn't achy.

My stalls have sand and the TSC mats; which works well. Like Shakeytails said they do shift a little depending on the horse.

This is a new barn but I have not done my aisle because of my geriatric pig. He has arthritis badly and I worry about him getting around on concrete. Once he is no longer in the equation we will do brushed concrete. Right now I just use mats in the important aisle areas.

Quote Originally Posted by shohanna View Post
    We are almost to the point where we will be doing the flooring for both our stalls and barn aisle. I am pretty sure we are going with brushed concrete in the center aisle with matting in the center. For the stalls we are going to use a base of sand and crushed concrete then stall mats on top. I have visited a few barns locally and this seems to work nicely. Can you let me know your experience?
    This is almost exactly what we have. We started with just a few mats down the center - separated, but eventually went to full mats down the entire center. IMO best way to go - concrete is exposed on the sides and is rough brushed.

Under the soft stalls we have crushed limestone/screening except one big stall that has concrete under the soft stall - which is just fine too - an does allow you the option to take out a stall and have a concrete floor. I don't think it makes too much difference what is under soft stalls because of the mattress quality.

Aisle and wash rack are brushed concrete that has fiber mixed in for added strength.

Stalls are packed screened sandrock with mats on top.

Works perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I was given a bunch of grid stuff- stall grid, stable grid can't remember the actual name- so I have that in one stall. My piggy pees-a-lot mare occupies that stall. If it weren't so expensive, I'd have it in every stall. Much of the urine drains through, so her stall is a breeze to clean compared to being on mats. This mare also paws. A LOT. We thought for sure she's somehow tear it up, but she hasn't.
    Is this the grid stuff that looks like interlocking pavers and made of some rubber or synthetic cushiony substance? I've seen it next to the paddocks at racetracks and it always looks neat and well-kept. It is on display at the feed store as well, and I have wondered how well it works. Good to know.

As for concrete, it seems like it would be such a low maintenance flooring to install under the matting. I hear what you are saying about concrete being hard, but in my (human) experience, the topper does make a huge difference. Those gel mats for kitchens, for example, are great. The grid pavers for horse stalls are probably 2" to 3" thick. That thickness of padding must provide a good cushion.

Are your grid pieces installed over gravel or over concrete? How long have you been using them since you installed them?

My grid things are hard plastic honeycomb looking deals. I think it's these- crappy website. They're installed over very fine gravel. Since I only had enough for one stall, I didn't rent a tamper- just tamped by hand, watered it, let it sit for a couple of days and repeated a few times. I've been using that stall for probably a year and a half now. I have a pile of odd sizes and cuts- eventually I'm going to put them outside where the tractor hooks to the manure spreader- and leaves big ruts when it's wet out- to see how well they do outside.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been back and forth about concrete in the center aisle but keep coming back to it. I like it for a lot of reasons and plan to put a rubber mat down the center to help both for slipping and a little cushion. I have recently been in stalls with crushed concrete under mats and was impressed with the feel and low odor. I hope I am as fortunate. I agree with you about solid concrete in stalls. My older barn which will be torn down has a stall with concrete base. I hate it...it is the worst smelling too. Thanks again and keep the info coming!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    My grid things are hard plastic honeycomb looking deals. I think it's these- crappy website. They're installed over very fine gravel. Since I only had enough for one stall, I didn't rent a tamper- just tamped by hand, watered it, let it sit for a couple of days and repeated a few times. I've been using that stall for probably a year and a half now. I have a pile of odd sizes and cuts- eventually I'm going to put them outside where the tractor hooks to the manure spreader- and leaves big ruts when it's wet out- to see how well they do outside.
    Oh, I thought you meant these:
    http://www.tritonbarns.com/rubber_pa...ber_pavers.php

Another nice thing about concrete aisles is you can hose them down which is especially helpful during these hot, hot days. Cools the barn nicely.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.