The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2009
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    Interesting that no one has brought forward that just "maybe".. the horse was over-prepped... the mare jumped a foot over each fence... and was note quite "right"...

    To me- that screams a horse that was over-prepped... WAY too scared to potentially touch something- or even get close to it!

    Just a thought... Oh, and please.. don't give the "it doesn't happen that way..." or "she would never do that"...

    It's just the reality of it, most of them do it before big classes...
    Glad someone pointed out the elephant in the room. Mare was way too prepped. I always thought the mare was careful but not top scope. Don't know why they got her so careful. Blame BM, JM, and GM. Their decision in training was not the right one



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep. 27, 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSynn View Post
    I'm not foolhardy enough to question Beezie's riding skill or anything like that, because we all know that she's proven that a thousand times over...

    ...but I think you hit on the reason that there's so many raised eyebrows out there, whether people will say/admit it or not. After the second refusal, she used her crop hard behind her right leg. Totally and completely understandable.

    But then, a few seconds later, she switched hands, raised the whip clear above her shoulder (almost to head level) and whacked the everloving sh!t outta the mare behind her left leg. This was done several strides after the mare had already begun cantering away from the fence, and several seconds after already disciplining her on the rightward side.
    Go back and watch the video again. Beezie had the crop in her left hand throughout the entire ride before the combination and afterwards. She hit the mare one time behind the saddle on the left side immediately after she stopped and again once as the mare turned away from the fence. Neither was on the right side and neither was long enough after the stop for it to be unrelated to the stop in the mare's mind. As far as raising the crop to her head - that's no where near how high her arm was. The intention was to reprimand the horse for a misbehavior and she did. She did not lose her temper and beat the "everloving sh!t outta the mare". Hitting a horse behind the leg is the appropriate punishment for refusal to go forward. Beezie is an amazing rider and horsewoman and I, for one, would never question her judgement, not accuse her of lashing out with emotion. She is a professional first and foremost who puts her horses before anything else in her life.



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar. 31, 2006
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Go back and watch the video again. Beezie had the crop in her left hand throughout the entire ride before the combination and afterwards. She hit the mare one time behind the saddle on the left side immediately after she stopped and again once as the mare turned away from the fence. Neither was on the right side and neither was long enough after the stop for it to be unrelated to the stop in the mare's mind. As far as raising the crop to her head - that's no where near how high her arm was. The intention was to reprimand the horse for a misbehavior and she did. She did not lose her temper and beat the "everloving sh!t outta the mare". Hitting a horse behind the leg is the appropriate punishment for refusal to go forward. Beezie is an amazing rider and horsewoman and I, for one, would never question her judgement, not accuse her of lashing out with emotion. She is a professional first and foremost who puts her horses before anything else in her life.
    This. Exactly what I was trying to say, only much better. Completely agree that Beezie was not out of line and she handled the situation appropriately.



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Go back and watch the video again.
    I would suggest likewise, if you're truly stating the following...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    that's no where near how high her arm was.
    Sorry, you're dead wrong here. Downloaded the video via SoThink, then slowed it to less than 100fps, then froze frame, just to check. Can VERY clearly see how high it goes during its upswing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Hitting a horse behind the leg is the appropriate punishment for refusal to go forward.
    I'm aware, just as you should be that: there's a thin and often subjective threshold between discipline and pain, even for an instant. People will disagree where that is-- we obviously do. What's the point in perpetually repeating it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Beezie is an amazing rider and horsewoman
    No one has said nor implied otherwise.
    A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
    ~ImmortalSynn



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    15,080

    Default

    Oh, please.

    She tapped the horse twice behind her left leg immediately after it stopped. She didn't even turn her stick around.

    I've seen kids do as much with a stick after a refusal in the pony ring, never mind at the Olympics. It is just as appropriate in either place to correct a horse after a stop.



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct. 9, 2009
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Unpopular opinion... but those stops were all on Beezie. She got in super deep the first time, pulled out, then had the exact same ride the second try, and there was no way that little mare could jump out in two. And then to smack her for it... sorry but I was put off. Mistakes happen but don't act like it was the horse's fault.
    Then she says it happened bc the mare was a little too impressed by the whole thing. No, the mare is brave as a lion, you messed up. I love Beezie but I'm disappointed.
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Are some of you seriously suggesting that Beezie's horse was poled (or similar) in the schooling ring at the Olympic Games? You don't think that would have been a bit obvious?

    Sometimes, horses really DO get impressed by certain jumps, certain rings, etc. It happens. Even to very experienced horses, which this horse is not (relatively speaking).

    Some of you really need to come off it. I mean, what happened to the Canadian horse that lost its mind in Dressage, then? Presumably they were cattle prodding that one in the butt before it went in the ring to make its movement more "expressive"? Because no horse would ever just spook and do something unpredictable...and...horse-like...not at the Olympic Games!



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec. 25, 2005
    Location
    Cazenovia, NY
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    I would just like to point out that Via Vola is not in any way inexperienced. The mare is 14 now and 4 years from mandatory retirement. As phenomenal as that little mare is, they had hoped it would be Simon who qualified, did not work out that way.

    Bottom line is that any horse on any given day can throw a wrench into your plans, watch enough and you will see the best of the best do it time and time again( Part of why you can drop one in the competition ); they are not cars, they will have their off days regardless of preparation, ride or importance of the event, the mere fact that the combination qualified says all that needs to be said of the horse, the rider, the training and the overall horsemanship of the entire Madden team.

    The bigger question for me is how is it that both the US and Canada managed such poor results overall. These two teams should always be deep in the hunt come day two, and this time both teams were not much more than place holders.

    When you compare the horse flesh representing each team it was a forgone conclusion where all the teams would be. One that GM has been talking about for years; breeding and development, not riders.



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2010
    Posts
    827

    Default

    And sorry but does the horse not have EYES of it's own? A brain of it's own power to think "hey we might be a bit deep here, I'm going to make some of my OWN adjustments to get us through." Don't we teach our horses to be adjustable and to be part of the team?

    After the first stop the mare knew what it was in for, it just lost some confidence and that was that. She came back yesterday and did a pretty good job from what I hear. I didn't get the coverage because my DVR wasn't set for all day.

    And I remember seeing her use the stick MAYBE twice and thought that was the first time I've ever seen her stick a horse. Poor Beezie and Via Volo. One bad round and this is what happens. Good to see so many people rally to her defense instead of getting pitchforks and torches.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar. 28, 2011
    Posts
    802

    Default

    I just find it hilarious reading these threads where you have folks who actually think they know what Beezie and the horse are thinking and what they did or didn't do wrong when they have probably never jumped beyond a 3' ammy course if that.

    So glad you guys are here to win medals for us from behind your computers.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2003
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    Go back and watch the video again. Beezie had the crop in her left hand throughout the entire ride before the combination and afterwards. She hit the mare one time behind the saddle on the left side immediately after she stopped and again once as the mare turned away from the fence. Neither was on the right side and neither was long enough after the stop for it to be unrelated to the stop in the mare's mind. As far as raising the crop to her head - that's no where near how high her arm was. The intention was to reprimand the horse for a misbehavior and she did. She did not lose her temper and beat the "everloving sh!t outta the mare". Hitting a horse behind the leg is the appropriate punishment for refusal to go forward. Beezie is an amazing rider and horsewoman and I, for one, would never question her judgement, not accuse her of lashing out with emotion. She is a professional first and foremost who puts her horses before anything else in her life.
    Just rewatched and this exactly! No "beating the everloving sh!t" out of her horse. And no switching of hands. Good grief, I've done exactly the same in the ring, swift and to the point. I adore Beezie, and while I agree she screwed up coming into the combo the first time (and you'll notice she did NOT hit when it was her obvious mistake) you CANNOT ever leave the ring on a bad note in the horses mind and she did NOT! She corrected and reprimanded and then took the horse over a courtesy fence with no issues at all!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Are some of you seriously suggesting that Beezie's horse was poled (or similar) in the schooling ring at the Olympic Games? You don't think that would have been a bit obvious?

    Sometimes, horses really DO get impressed by certain jumps, certain rings, etc. It happens. Even to very experienced horses, which this horse is not (relatively speaking).

    Some of you really need to come off it. I mean, what happened to the Canadian horse that lost its mind in Dressage, then? Presumably they were cattle prodding that one in the butt before it went in the ring to make its movement more "expressive"? Because no horse would ever just spook and do something unpredictable...and...horse-like...not at the Olympic Games!
    ... I'm going to no comment... as I know too much of what goes on behind scenes... obviously...

    Trust me... you don't want to know...
    And if you think that it doesn't happen- glad you have a "happy place" that you can take your mind back to...

    And I don't mean this in a sarcastic mean way- I'm just saying that this happens... and that I really believe the mare was over-prepped... and know from experience that the odds of it are.. let's just say great.
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2000
    Location
    Ellijay, GA
    Posts
    6,040

    Default

    Does anyone have a link to the video of the ride?
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2004
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    ... I'm going to no comment... as I know too much of what goes on behind scenes... obviously...

    Trust me... you don't want to know...
    And if you think that it doesn't happen- glad you have a "happy place" that you can take your mind back to...

    And I don't mean this in a sarcastic mean way- I'm just saying that this happens... and that I really believe the mare was over-prepped... and know from experience that the odds of it are.. let's just say great.
    This is not a "no comment," this is clearly insinuating she poled the horse or something similar.

    You may be "behind the scenes" but I'd be careful, being accused of slander ain't pretty.



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ser42 View Post
    This is not a "no comment," this is clearly insinuating she poled the horse or something similar.

    You may be "behind the scenes" but I'd be careful, being accused of slander ain't pretty.
    I voiced my opinion... that's all.
    Not behind the scene at the Olympics so I'm not accusing her or pointing the finger.

    Most horses are prepped- that's just the way it is. This one looked over-prepped to me... Some other horses did as well...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2008
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Ponysize- most of us are gold medalists in the armchair showjumping division! I personally never jump anything bigger than a haybale. That said, I couldnt begin to comment on her ride, except that Ive been proud of her riding in the past and Im sure I will again. Tremendously proud of all the riders trying to give us some great rides. Analysis will live on for another day!



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    I voiced my opinion... that's all.
    Not behind the scene at the Olympics so I'm not accusing her or pointing the finger.
    You just said you KNOW what goes on behind the scenes. In this context, you're implying you KNOW BM/all the top riders pole their horses/sore them/"prep" them somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya
    ... I'm going to no comment... as I know too much of what goes on behind scenes... obviously...

    Trust me... you don't want to know...
    And if you think that it doesn't happen- glad you have a "happy place" that you can take your mind back to...

    And I don't mean this in a sarcastic mean way- I'm just saying that this happens... and that I really believe the mare was over-prepped... and know from experience that the odds of it are.. let's just say great.
    Quoted again for posterity. There's a difference between "opinion" and "insinuation." This is the latter.

    If the mare was jumping big, my guess would be that jumping a course at the Olympics in front of 22,000 spectators just MIGHT put even an experienced horse a bit on edge. Heck, look at the Swedish rider whose horse deer-jumped and wrecked after having a moment of OMGWTFBBQ I AM NOT GOING IN THAT RING. VV is experienced enough not to be a basket case but given the completely different energy of the enormous crowd and big, extremely fancy fences she might have been a bit more "up" than normal.



  18. #58
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    ... I'm going to no comment... as I know too much of what goes on behind scenes... obviously...

    Trust me... you don't want to know...
    And if you think that it doesn't happen- glad you have a "happy place" that you can take your mind back to...

    And I don't mean this in a sarcastic mean way- I'm just saying that this happens... and that I really believe the mare was over-prepped... and know from experience that the odds of it are.. let's just say great.
    Well, that's nice, Jumpingmaya. Do you know Beezie and/or her family personally? Because it may interest you to know that I do.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Well, that's nice, Jumpingmaya. Do you know Beezie and/or her family personally? Because it may interest you to know that I do.
    Ok- I'll take a step back... I apologize if I came across the wrong way... Didn't mean to insinuate even though reading it (without hearing a possible tone of voice that went with it)- I can see how it came across that way.

    I only meant to voice an opinion... Hope I was wrong...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    I just find it hilarious reading these threads where you have folks who actually think they know what Beezie and the horse are thinking and what they did or didn't do wrong when they have probably never jumped beyond a 3' ammy course if that.

    So glad you guys are here to win medals for us from behind your computers.
    Don't forget their Olympic-quality horses as well.

    May the best horse and best rider on a given day win. I liked the Olympics a whole lot better before Atlanta, when it became us, as in USA, against the world. The 1984 Olympics were so much more exciting than Atlanta because people were cheering for great horses and great riders of all countries. (Plus we had Touch of class and Abdullah back then.)

    Anyone remember how great Phillipe Le Jeune was at WEG? He rode every horse according to the horse's abilities, and got best rider. And Hickstead even carried everyone around in good form, despite some riders' errors.



Similar Threads

  1. New Horse for Beezie Madden
    By refresh in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 8, 2011, 04:36 PM
  2. Beezie Madden
    By ponyjumper525 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov. 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
  3. BEEZIE MADDEN on our radio show!
    By pines4equines in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 13, 2010, 12:28 PM
  4. Want to take a lesson with Beezie Madden?
    By sarapony in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov. 21, 2009, 01:43 PM
  5. Beezie and John Madden
    By Maryanne Nicpon in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2009, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness