The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Feed price increase

Went to the feed store and was informed there's a $1.75 increase on feed per bag. They showed me a letter from the feed company notifying distributors of the increase. I was expecting it to go up----but GULP!!! I'll just suck it up.

We will have to suck it up, no choice. I was thrilled to get 17 bags of Blue Seal Rider for $5 at a TSC clearance sale last weekend. Probably last time I'll get that kind of bargain!

Maybe we will see less obese horses out there. Hopefully, we will not see an increase in skinny/underfed ones.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Yep, no choice. Sure hope we don't see more underfed horses. Lucky you getting that bargain at TSC. I'm going to TSC tomorrow, maybe they'll be having a clearance.

I work at a farm store. Our feed prices went up today to reflect a $1-4 (!) per bag increase from our supplies. We hear lots of complaints about it but there's nothing we can do except pray for rain!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I work at a farm store. Our feed prices went up today to reflect a $1-4 (!) per bag increase from our supplies. We hear lots of complaints about it but there's nothing we can do except pray for rain!
    The guy at my feed store kept apoligizing, but I read the letter, it's not their fault. Most of mine are on Senior feed, which they really need, I sure don't want to deal with weight dropping, so I'm stuck. Praying for rain.

Yep, I noticed the same thing a couple of days ago. I was doing a special order feed and it was getting to be a PITA dealing with the feed store getting it so I decided to switch to another feed that I could get at TSC which is 5 minutes away vs 15-20 minutes from the feed store I'd been dealing with for ~30 yrs. I cut the existing order back from 3 bags to 1 bag because I had a coupon for 1
    free bag of feed. Fortunately I didn't have to eat the $1.00 + price increase, only the sales tax on the feed.

To be honest I really hated to give my business to TSC, the new big box store in town over the other feed store but the other feed store has made so many screw ups in the past that it's actually nice dealing with the new guys in town. So far the TSC people have been very helpful and pleasant but I don't think some of the merchandise they carry is that great. But they carry a feed my horses will eat and that's my main concern.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Yep, I noticed the same thing a couple of days ago. I was doing a special order feed and it was getting to be a PITA dealing with the feed store getting it so I decided to switch to another feed that I could get at TSC which is 5 minutes away vs 15-20 minutes from the feed store I'd been dealing with for ~30 yrs. I cut the existing order back from 3 bags to 1 bag because I had a coupon for 1
    free bag of feed. Fortunately I didn't have to eat the $1.00 + price increase, only the sales tax on the feed.

To be honest I really hated to give my business to TSC, the new big box store in town over the other feed store but the other feed store has made so many screw ups in the past that it's actually nice dealing with the new guys in town. So far the TSC people have been very helpful and pleasant but I don't think some of the merchandise they carry is that great. But they carry a feed my horses will eat and that's my main concern.
    I like TSC ok, but they're a much longer drive for me, and my feed store has bent over backwards for me. My feed store is a "Mom and Pop" place, I stay away from the big box stores when I can. Going to be going right by TSC tomorrow, and I'm out of horse cookies, which are cheaper at TSC than my feed store. TSC is higher on my horse feed.

I coughed up $25 and change yesterday for a bag of Ultium. At least it's still a 50lb bag.

C'est la vie
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I coughed up $25 and change yesterday for a bag of Ultium. At least it's still a 50lb bag.

C'est la vie
    You just coughed and didn't choke? LOL!

I might have spluttered a bit too!

Glad I'm only feeding a couple pounds of it a day... Just needed a little rocket fuel since he drops weight so easily in this blasted heat. Kinda cruddy year overall

TC Lite went up $5 a bag in a month. At least mine are easy keepers. Can't imagine what it is going to cost to feed a skinny OTTB right now or in a few months.

I had to abandon the local feed store, as well. Didn't even realize I had done it till I noticed it had been ages since I'd stopped there. But I can get bedding at TSC so much less expensively. It is getting downright painful, esp when you're old enough to recall when it was a horror that feed went up to $4/bag!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

With the drought getting worse this is just the beginning. I wouldn't be surprised if board went up a bit as a result.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    It is getting downright painful, esp when you're old enough to recall when it was a horror that feed went up to $4/bag!
    Ain't that the truth! Not too long ago I stumbled upon an old receipt- I had paid $2.35 for 50# of cracked corn. I feed a 14% local mix- it went up almost $2 to $17.90/cwt. I buy 100# bags because they're a little cheaper than 50's and I'm able to return bags for a tiny credit. I'm glad my horses don't have any special needs. I've always fed corn, too, as a stretcher and for an economical energy source, but now it's the same price as the feed mix so I've given up the corn for now.

Feed price increases will hit rescues hard. I'm gonna send the one close to me all feed coupons I don't plan to use. Hopefully coupons still available.

Another issue about to hit the mix: Mr.Chief2 used to purchase commercial produce/food freight in the human food markets. He still has his contacts and this week brought home the tidbit that human food prices are about to jump again. I would imagine alfalfa-based supplements will have to climb, as well as pet foods made with grains/chicken, etc. It's going to be an expensive winter all the way around. Maybe we should start a thread about recipes for homemade soups, stews and soaps?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Another issue about to hit the mix: Mr.Chief2 used to purchase commercial produce/food freight in the human food markets. He still has his contacts and this week brought home the tidbit that human food prices are about to jump again. I would imagine alfalfa-based supplements will have to climb, as well as pet foods made with grains/chicken, etc. It's going to be an expensive winter all the way around. Maybe we should start a thread about recipes for homemade soups, stews and soaps?
    Maybe so but bad as I hate to cook, guess I'll just starve! LOL!

Ramen!

Pretty much everything is going to go up - animal food and human food. The midwest drought is hitting crops hard, especially corn. And corn is in almost everything. Not just grain based products. Processed foods which have corn syrup. Meat because corn is fed to the animals. Corn ethanol is now in most gas, so that can affect shipping costs as well as the gas you purchase outright. And having less corn available may mean a rise in cost for other grains as demand for them rises instead. It sucks, but it's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    Ramen!
    Yep, but guess Ramen will go up too! We can't win!