The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Well "that" just sucks!!!! Local feed mill closing - TODAY!!

I got a letter from our local feed mill in the mail at 1 pm today. I opened the letter and discovered that the BIG mill - 10 miles from our farm - is closing their doors for good at 5pm today!! Talk about "fair warning"!! Next closest mill is 50 miles away!! I did talk to the manager and he is holding the last ton of my feed for me to pick up on Monday. That will give me a little time to find another feed source. I guess the aweful drought/heat/high grain prices just drove them under. The mill, according to the secretary uses 75% of the utilities (electric/water/gas) consumed by the WHOLE town. Bet that will make a dent in their budget!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I don't know where you live but I was just at our feed dealer today and he said that because of so many dairies in our area out of business over the last couple of years they have really lost a lot of revenue. They now try to " cater" to the smaller guy ( like me) to keep us happy and buying. If that is the only place within 50 miles of you I guess they have really been hit hard. Is there nowhere closer that you might be able to get your feed ordered from?

man, aren't you glad you didn't toss the mail on the counter to check after dinner....

beats having no warning though.

man, that sucks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Our old fashioned feed mill where you can drive right up along the loading area and have them bring out the stuff.... and where the air still smells of molasses and oat dust stills survives. I credit the Amish community.

Sorry you are losing yours. And I'm sure the town will miss it too.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I imagine it sucks pretty badly for the owners of the mill, too.
    Click here before you buy.

This has me wondering about the mill in the tiny 1/2-horse town I live near. I rarely buy feed there, but appreciate the option. I WAS bummed when the quarry just over a mile away closed last fall... without notice. I could get 10 tons of screenings for under $60.00, delivered. I could use some now.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Some things you just can't buy on the internet, I don't care what anybody says. I remember when the little general/hardware store shut down. Lowe's just doesn't carry half that stuff nor do they have the old man that has seen it all and can dig up some antique part out of the back for you. If you can, shop local and buy local. (I have to tell on myself that I bought some horse apparel online - because I couldn't find a local guy). Very sorry to hear this.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible