The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sorry -- stoopid positive/penalty H.T. dressage score conversion

I'm doing a mini combined test for camp here tomorrow and damned if I can't remember the formula how to convert positive dressage marks to penalties?
    I made up the Hunter's Rest Olympic Dressage Test (based on what they did in London Sunday) so I'm not working from a test sheet that shows me how to do it!
    Anybody??? Helpppp!! (or direct me to a previous chat.)
    TIA!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I believe you just subtract the dressage percentage (i.e. 70%) from 100, giving you penalty points, so a 70% dressage score equates to 30 penalty points. Hopefully if I'm wrong someone else will chime in!

Default Point conversion

I did a search and found this. Just double check that it is in deed current.

How an event converts your Dressage score to penalty points is as follows:

The good marks from 0 to 10 awarded by each judge to a competitor for each numbered movement of the Dressage Test together with the collective marks are added together deducting any error of course or test.
    For each judge the percentage of maximum possible good marks obtainable is then calculated. (Percentage is obtained dividing total good marks of the judge (minus any error of course or test) by maximum possible good marks obtainable and then multiplying by 100 and rounding the result to two decimal digits. This value is shown as the individual mark for that judge.
    Average percentage for the competitor is obtained by adding together the percentage for each judge and then dividing by the number of judges, always rounding the result to two decimal digits.
    In order to convert average percentage into penalty points, this must be subtracted from 100 and multiplied by 1.5, with the resulting figure being rounded to one decimal digit. The result is the score in penalty points for the test.

I'm coming up with wonky results --
    I made it with 14 scored movements, plus 2 (just 2) collective marks, which are each x2.
    So that makes 18 total movements with a potential total of 180 points.
    So if a horse, say, scores a 5 on every movement, that means he'd have 90 'positive' points.
    Subtracted from 100, = 10.
    Times 1.5 = 15.5???????
    Helpppppppppp!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Divide. 90/180 = 50 percentage points. Multiply by 1.5 for 75. I think!

Of course it helps that 100-50 is also 50.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    Divide. 90/180 = 50 percentage points. Multiply by 1.5 for 75. I think!

Of course it helps that 100-50 is also 50.
    Yup. Hunter's Rest, you just skipped this step.

If it is for a camp, I'd think the simpler, non FEI level conversion would be easier.

Take dressage score, subtract from 100.

So, a dressage test score of 65% is 35 penalty points.

The 1.5 calculation isn't done until Prelim I believe.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    If it is for a camp, I'd think the simpler, non FEI level conversion would be easier.

Take dressage score, subtract from 100.

So, a dressage test score of 65% is 35 penalty points.

The 1.5 calculation isn't done until Prelim I believe.
    This.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Got it!
    I did the second method - no multiplier.
    It worked fine - the horse that should have had the best score and been the winner did have the best score. Though it ended up being a 'winner' on a "54" which I'm not sure was 'right'. Second was a 57, third a 61.5. The winners were getting 6s and 7s mostly, with an 8 and maybe a 5, so not sure if 54% penalties is actually how many 'negative points' they got with such good, solid and consistent tests.
    But regardless, it gave me the result I wanted (it was pretty clear who'd put in the work!) so it mattered little. And the kids don't know a 54 from a 29.5. First place is first place when you're 15 years old!!
    Thanks all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie08 View Post
    I did a search and found this. Just double check that it is in deed current.

In order to convert average percentage into penalty points, this must be subtracted from 100 and multiplied by 1.5, with the resulting figure being rounded to one decimal digit. The result is the score in penalty points for the test.
    WAY out of date.

The 1.5 multiplier has not been used in USEF/USEA eventing in about a decade.

The 1.5 multiplier is ONLY used at FEI events.

But for an uneocgnized combined test, it will work fine either way.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).