The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I guess we are 1%ers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Apparently the writer did not ask to see my pay stub before writing article LOL

The only 1% club I belong to is the one that's been eating Top Ramen so long we actually know how to jazz so it tastes good. We're an elite bunch.

Maybe I should invite the author of that first article over for dinner so she can see how some of us uber-elite live to support our "ostentatiously expensive hobby". I'll bet she'd really be impressed with how my bedroom doubles as a tack room and my $300 minivan with the push-button starter and busted window that I drive to work so I can afford a truck to haul the trailer with. Yep, it's the high life for me. Ain't got a mansion, my champagne and caviar is cheap beer and pork rinds but by gawd I have a horse!

ahh if only they could see how I live.
    I'm such high-falutin stuff, surviving off ramen and living in a friend's basement to barely afford my horse while working and going to school.

I'm just sorry I don't have a picture of some outlaw bikers (Hell's Angels, Outlaws, etc.) flaunting their 1%er patches to send the author.

^Another member of the Top Ramen Club I see^

Okay, I didn't think the first article was bad and for once, it wasn't written by some know nothing-the author says she owns a horse. I think she's just trying to point out that historically horses have been a show of prosperity, which I agree with. Maybe not necessarily a Mitt Romney level of prosperity, but if you can afford to reasonably house a horse, I say you're better off than a lot of other people. Even if it means you're eating Ramen

Yea, the author owns a horse and is not uber rich. But you have to remember NA is not the only contributing group to the worlds population. Face it, $300 in some another country is a years salery, or the ability to feed a family for months. If you choose to spend your last dollar on your horse habit-great. But the fact of the matter is many people that are thought of as responsible horse owners have enough money to feed, farrier and vet the horses, I own 6 and it is a fair amount of money every year. And it is more than many people in NA can afford. Then you go a level up to those that compete. That is not cheap at all. If you are money poor and horse rich that is a chosen life style. Many people in the world do not have a choice and it would mean no home or no food if they had to care for a horse.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/1222-04.htm

Apparently journalists don't read the farm and garden section of Craigslist.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Another member of the Ramen noodle club.......well, maybe not, I just buy the store brand as those are usually 25 cents a packet and 10/1.00 warehouse sale days.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I thought the first article read more like a history lesson than political diatribe. I found it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    I thought the first article read more like a history lesson than political diatribe. I found it interesting.
    Same here. And, the author says that she herself owns a horse and is not super rich. I think the point is that...horses have always been a bit of a status thing...why is it such a big deal and such a shock that the Romney's are involved with them?

I think it was a very interesting article about horses in society. It is true that owning a horse is not a necessity and often people mistake their personal choice of being 'horse poor' with being poor.

I wondered at one point why I seemed to have so much more money in college, when I was making less. Oh, right, while I owned a horse, I did not pay board.

My mare has been cheap most of our partnership - $200/month in board and about $50 every 8 weeks for shoes. Let's say $200/year in vet bills (she has never been sick or seriously injured-knock wood).

So, she costs me 'only' $3,000/year base care. Couple that with shows, owning a gas guzzling truck as my only vehicle (could not afford 2 for a long time-partially because of the gas guzzling part) and other amenities attached to horse ownership and I probably put another $4,000 into her per year (I rarely showed her at the recognized level). So, yeah, an extra $7,000/year - half of some people's salaries.

I estimated costs to lease my trainer's horse and go to a Training Level Three Day Event in two years - about $15,000. That would be in addition to owning two more horses (my mare, now retired, and her filly, a yearling). So, no, I don't necessarily see myself as a 1%er, but I don't really see myself as the 'unwashed masses' either. I am strictly middle class...

Why is being a 1%er a bad thing? As a carrier pilot I was a 1%er. As a Marchador owner I'm a 1%er. That's just two things. There are more but who's counting?

I'm not a financial 1%er.

The articles are political fluff. Slate is a political "artsy-cutesy" rag, not some sort of "reliable source." If they printed that the Sun rose in the East and set in the West I'd go and check.

Right now it's "cool" to dis anything "Romney" and includes horse ownership in general and Dressage in particular. Personally, I hope they keep it up and even become more insulting. Pissing off 10,000,000 or so horse owners might be a Good Thing.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I really enjoyed the article. Thanks for the link Alagirl.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I'm a member of the ramen club, too, but I'm really more of a Chapagetti girl. I buy it at Chinese and Korean markets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdnUnI2Uzjg

A packet of Chapagetti with a few squirts of Sriracha = instant noodle heaven. It's good to be so wealthy!!!!

I want some now.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Why is being a 1%er a bad thing? As a carrier pilot I was a 1%er. As a Marchador owner I'm a 1%er. That's just two things. There are more but who's counting?

I'm not a financial 1%er.

The articles are political fluff. Slate is a political "artsy-cutesy" rag, not some sort of "reliable source." If they printed that the Sun rose in the East and set in the West I'd go and check.

Right now it's "cool" to dis anything "Romney" and includes horse ownership in general and Dressage in particular. Personally, I hope they keep it up and even become more insulting. Pissing off 10,000,000 or so horse owners might be a Good Thing.

G.
    First of all I totally agree with the fact that having means is nothing to be ashamed of. Most of us work dam hard to have.
    But I do not think the article (and I did read it) was as much of a political opinion of the presidential candidate as it was an introduction into an obvious passion of the author. Which is history in that area of Europe. I mean, how many people have casual knowledge of horses in 3000BC? Obviously the US is very politically sensitive and polarized these days, and maybe with good reason. The comment on the Slate article are very strong political reactions to an article that is more about Europe 5000 years ago than it is anything else.
    And as far as Colbert's piece hurting dressage...have you guys seen the follow up stuff? Really funny and probably going to get more PR for dressage to the average joe than the Olympics themselves. I disagree that this is about criticizing dressage and obviously so does Michael Barisone as he agreed to participate in the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsie View Post
    I'm a member of the ramen club, too, but I'm really more of a Chapagetti girl. I buy it at Chinese and Korean markets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdnUnI2Uzjg

A packet of Chapagetti with a few squirts of Sriracha = instant noodle heaven. It's good to be so wealthy!!!!

I want some now.
    You are a 1%. Sriracha is expensive hot sauce. If you were poor you'd use generic grocery store brand Tabasco, or you'd spend $1 on a Taco Bell taco to get a couple big handfuls of hot sauce packets for your noodles.

Oh wait...I have Sriracha in my fridge! I'm a 1%er too! OMG NOOOOO!!!!!

rooster sauce for the win!!!

If you have 20 horses does that make you a 20%'er?
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I like plain old Ramen

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?