The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wise Saddlery/ Dutton RZ Leather choices

After a very long search for a saddle that fits me and my horse, I think I have settled on the monoflap version of this saddle. Now I have to decide which leather to order it in! What are the pros and cons to calf? Full grain?

Also, does anyone have the "rotate to fit" system?

TIA
    Last edited by eventer80; Aug. 2, 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: iPhone autocorrecting
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

I am not familiar with this particular saddle, but calf is easier to break in, comfy and grippier (if that's a word) than grain, but also marks up much more easily and is less durable. Many people love it but when I bought a custom saddle I chose grain, it is the most durable, and if its good quality leather, as mine was, I found it as comfortable as any calf saddle I have ridden in. Plus the grain stays nicer looking, if you care about appearances, since it doesn't mark up easily as the calfskin does. Mostly its just personal preference though, ride in both and see which you like better. Everyone who rode in my grain CWD (with calf seat and knees) commented on how grippy it felt and how comfortable it was.

Thumbs up Love mine

I just got mine a few weeks ago and love it. I bought the jumping saddle with the calf even though it was a lot more $$ but I really think it was worth it. There is a piece of the full grain that runs along the bottom of the flap and it is much stiffer and no stick. I was told it was for durability so I agree with Eventer80 on the durability issue. I don't think the leather is comparable at all with respect to the comfort and grippiness (probably not a word either), hence the big price difference. I did not get the rotate to fit option. I felt that the mechanism did not give the pommel much clearance due to the fact that it made the pommel so much thicker. Auburn, who may chime in on this, bought the dressage saddle after a lot of searching and is very happy with it.

I have the regular leather. I don't think I've ever ridden in calf (nor have I ever had a brand-new saddle before this one) so I can't speak to a comparison of durability or break-in time but I very much love this saddle!

I've only had it 6 months or so but it is still beautiful.
    Forward momentum!

I'd get the calf if you can swing it. I like grain leather on double-flap saddles because you can really roll the flaps in order to get them to break in and be grippy. The problem with the Wise Air monoflap (I'm assuming you are getting the monoflap?) is that the flaps are fairly stiff, meaning that you cannot roll them. My Childeric monoflap, in comparison, has very supple flaps, like a bareback pad, that can be rolled. I also happen to have a Wise Air monoflap in the calfskin version that I'm looking to rehome because the flaps aren't forward enough for me, but I do love that grippy calfskin. So, I know it's about $500 more, but I'd go with calfskin for the grip, unless you are horribly abusive to your tack. Oh, and the gullet in the regular saddles is a tad easier to exchange than in the Wintecs and Bates, at least their older models. Hth!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

As Izzman said, I got the dressage saddle. It is calf also.

I love that the knee rolls are made of foam, so that your leg has support, but does not feel as confinded like other dressage saddles that have big honkin knee rolls.

My dressage scores have improved by 4-5 points, too. Since I do not have a dressage instructor anymore (she moved to Mexico ), it has to be the saddle. I had been getting 6's on my position and have improved to 7's and an 8.

I have not ridden in Izzman's jumping saddle, but have seen her ride in it. She got a more forward/longer flap, because of the length of her thigh. The saddle fits her leg quite well.

You are already spending alot for your saddle. You may as well be happy, so splurge on the calf skin.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    I'd get the calf if you can swing it. I like grain leather on double-flap saddles because you can really roll the flaps in order to get them to break in and be grippy. The problem with the Wise Air monoflap (I'm assuming you are getting the monoflap?) is that the flaps are fairly stiff, meaning that you cannot roll them. My Childeric monoflap, in comparison, has very supple flaps, like a bareback pad, that can be rolled. I also happen to have a Wise Air monoflap in the calfskin version that I'm looking to rehome because the flaps aren't forward enough for me, but I do love that grippy calfskin. So, I know it's about $500 more, but I'd go with calfskin for the grip, unless you are horribly abusive to your tack. Oh, and the gullet in the regular saddles is a tad easier to exchange than in the Wintecs and Bates, at least their older models. Hth!
    If you still have your WisAir up for sale, please send me an email! I've been looking for a used one. My email is daniellelamarre@ymail.com Thanks!