The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Tips for horse hauling from west coast to east coast?

My horse is leaving Saturday for Virginia.

He is going on a Brookledge truck.

What can I do to make sure his trip goes a good as it can go?

I started putting electrolytes in his water and grain.

I also plan on sending him with some gastrogard.

Is there anything else I can do?

Would electrolyte paste be something they could give him on the trip?

Also, he gets alfalfa pellets and Bermuda hay. They said they can't feed grain or mash so should I also send some alfalfa hay?

Or do you think they would feed the pellets? I mean they give them water, so maybe they could give him the pellets?

I have never shipped a horse this far, so I just want to make sure he is ok!

Also, some people have mentioned giving him oil? Could I use the canola oil I put in his feed or do I have to use mineral oil and how much?

For the most part, horses travel fine. I do not send grain. Just enough of whatever hay the horse is used to for the trip. Start gastroguard three days before, and send enough for the trip and a few days after arrival. Don't worry about electrolytes or oil unless the horse is a known problem traveler/colicer.

I'm shipping with Brookledge too -- but we're going from Arizona to south Florida. I checked with BL as well as my vet and trainer, and they all said "no" to changing feed or adding oil. If you're already giving your horse alfalfa, then send it; otherwise, don't suddenly introduce it. I'm assuming your horse is going in a full box stall like Deuce is, and from what I've been told, the horse won't even realise he's on a trailer. They'll have two water buckets in the stall during the trip as well as their hay bag. It's important that you DO send his normal hay from home.

Although it can be nerve-wracking to ship a horse all the way across country, you know you're in good hands with Brookledge -- they ship the Triple Crown horses and the Team horses

I know for a fact they won't feed any grain or pellets . . . and you don't want him to eat that when on the road anyway. However, they told me when they do the half-way stop in Texas, they'll give paste electrolytes if needed.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yeah he is going Arizona to Virginia.

Ok, I will send his hay and then bags of grain for when he gets to the farm.

Wonder if I can send 2 bales of hay?

I only have to syringes of gastrogard so I can give him half a syringe starting tomorrow night.

Ugh. I just hope everything goes ok! He is my baby! I delivered him!

I know the feeling I'll check with BL on the hay thing. I was just going to send one bale.

OK -- I just checked the email Brad from BL sent me about what can go with the horses on the trip. He says to call and ask about the number of hay bales. I guess they calculate how much you'll need for the length of the ride.

Do you have the "What to Send" document? If not, I can post it to you

I've done it both ways. I moved to VA from CA in 1994 with one horse, and moved back to CA from VA in 2006 with ten horses.

I used Equine Express both times, and was thrilled.

I sent a ton of hay, three bales per horse (they were happy and prepared to take that much). I had the horses tubed by a vet with fluids and electrolytes the morning of departure, and some of them went with gastroguard. (My show horses for whom long trailer rides were old hat did fine, the youngsters who'd never been farther than the end of the street got a little extra tlc). I also sent along some banamine per their request. I shipped grain, but just for them to have on the landing end, though they got nothing but bran mash the first few days.

I had a vet on call on the arrival end to give everybody the once over within 8-10 hours of arrival, and we ended up tubing one of my hard keepers.

All of my horses but one looked fab on arrival, and he was always a toughie, not big on change. My veteran arrived looking in foal, he was so fat, shiny and happy.

Generally, they do just fine. You've got a good company. It all will be well. Breathe.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Original Poster

Yeah, I know what to send. Leather halter, no lead rope or an old one, hay and everything has to have his name on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Yeah, I know what to send. Leather halter, no lead rope or an old one, hay and everything has to have his name on it!
    lol! That's word for word what I was told I know they'll do great. I'll have my other two coming out in a couple of months -- yearling fillies. I'm more worried about the big guy. However, BL said they could post / send pictures from the haul. I believe they've got cameras back there. Ask for regular updates

Did you sell your horse, or are you relocating from West to East like me?

Original Poster

He is sold to a trainer in Virginia.

I just want to make sure he isn't too stressed during the ride.

He has only been to California before on a regular type trailer and lost quite a bit of weight.

This rig is probably much more comfortable, so I hope he adjusts ok to it!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    Although it can be nerve-wracking to ship a horse all the way across country, you know you're in good hands with Brookledge -- they ship the Triple Crown horses and the Team horses .
    Hate to say this, but I had a horrid experience with Brookledge. What was worse, is when I spoke to management(Kurt), he did not act like he gave a hoot.
    Even added insult, telling me they lost money on me. Really now, I did not set the price, they did. They got waylaid and took the wrong routes which caused them an additional 14 hours longer than they expected to take. I had the whole trailer so there were no drop offs or pick ups.

I thought they were suppose to be the best too. I think they most likely are, most of the time, but when they don't do things right, well, don't go looking for an explanation from them.
    Good luck to you both.
    My horses were tubed with electrolytes and water by my vet just prior to shipping. Thank God.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    Hate to say this, but I had a horrid experience with Brookledge. What was worse, is when I spoke to management(Kurt), he did not act like he gave a hoot.
    Even added insult, telling me they lost money on me. Really now, I did not set the price, they did. They got waylaid and took the wrong routes which caused them an additional 14 hours longer than they expected to take. I had the whole trailer so there were no drop offs or pick ups.

I thought they were suppose to be the best too. I think they most likely are, most of the time, but when they don't do things right, well, don't go looking for an explanation from them.
    Good luck to you both.
    My horses were tubed with electrolytes and water by my vet just prior to shipping. Thank God.

Why would you even mention this? The poor people are worried enough as it is. No matter what you do you can't please everyone.

No trip is easy when hauling your horses. Stuff happens. We moved and what should have been an easy 10 hour trip turned into 16 hours with a flooded freeway, 4 + hours of sitting and going nowhere in awful heat. We were hauling ourselves ( as always) and my guys were bushed , and stressed by the time we arrived , but they were fine.

Send them off in the best condition you can and have them tended to immediately after they arrive and I am sure they will be fine. How long are they expecting them to be in travel?

Because someone mentioned that they were great...and so I thought so too.
    fortunately, I took extra measures, and I am glad I did, such as tubing with electrolytes and water.

Just because the haulers have a good rep, you should consult with your vet and take all the necessary precautions to help the horses on any trip.
    I felt it made a huge difference on the second trip that they had been tubed.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld