The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of this guy for an upgrade?

Mostly just tire-kicking here:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/3172340252.html

My boarding barn shows and breeds Appaloosas. This guy could be gelded and hardshipped registered.

What do you think of this guy as a upgrade/project? (I'm mostly just daydreaming instead of working like I should be so I'm not entirely serious.)

I also saved the pictures here and quoted the ad in case the ad gets removed and to fix the rotation on the photos:

http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app1.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app2.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app3.jpg

Thor is a 2.5 yr old overgrown baby! he is a black appaloosa with white spots on his rump. He stand 15.2hh and basks in attention. Hes the first one at the gate to greet you. His favorite past times include; licking his pasture buds after a spray down, making funny faces, gobbling up treats, & digging palm frawns out of the brush pile and bringing them to show you! He is going to be a muscular mount good for any discipline. He leads loads bathes and ties. we will be here all day, drop us a line & come check him out. only $200.00!!

Poor guy could sure use some groceries.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I think with weight and some TLC he could be really nice, upgrade him!

I like him.
    He looks like a character and has decent conformation. Way better then you often see for that price. I'm not going to pick him apart and compare him to 5 figure horses, but he looks like he could do anything the average owner would want. I think with the right person he'd make a a great horse some day.

humm.. I have a real soft spot for Appies - Especially ones that desperately need an upgrade! (that is how I ended up with my current love - I couldn't leave her at the place she was living at!)

That said, his left front looks wonky to me, back at the knee? Twisted? - would need to really look at it in person.

Back pasterns look awfully short and upright. Otherwise he looks like an ok dude!

This is one that I might take the risk on - would need to see in person, and see him MOVE - the price is certainly right!

I like him. I like their ad too.....he shouldn't be doing anything else at that age so they listed what he does do .

Their fence & facility look decent & they are giving a nice description of his personality, no dumb statements, etc etc.

so why is he ungelded & skinny?

weird. Cute guy.

Y'all are the worst enablers. I have now emailed these people for more information.

Well, we'll want updates so we can all watch him blossom .

I think he's cute I love the picture of him licking the other horse.

The left fetlock looks a little funny to me, and I would look at that closely in person. I'd also want to really see the whole shoulder assembly without his head in a bucket--he might be super upright there, or it might just be that picture.

He definitely needs an upgrade, though, and would probably be a nice useful fellow with a little snip snip and some groceries!

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Y'all are the worst enablers. I have now emailed these people for more information.
    Hey, I train my minions well!

but seriously, if you can afford to feed this guy, the price is right and it looks like nothing is glaringly wrong with him. If he is indeed 15.2h, he is dark, with some spots, nice head, should be an easy sell down the road, maybe not a major $$ factor, but certainly not a huge loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Hey, I train my minions well!

but seriously, if you can afford to feed this guy, the price is right and it looks like nothing is glaringly wrong with him. If he is indeed 15.2h, he is dark, with some spots, nice head, should be an easy sell down the road, maybe not a major $$ factor, but certainly not a huge loss.
    That's what I was thinking. I was wanting to get a project horse come December anyway. I think I could break even with some food, groceries, gelding, hardship registeration and I'd love the fun of it. It's easier when the barn is already showing and selling Appaloosas too if/when I went to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I think he's cute I love the picture of him licking the other horse.

The left fetlock looks a little funny to me, and I would look at that closely in person. I'd also want to really see the whole shoulder assembly without his head in a bucket--he might be super upright there, or it might just be that picture.

He definitely needs an upgrade, though, and would probably be a nice useful fellow with a little snip snip and some groceries!
    I don't see the fetlock issue. Maybe I'm blind? Upright doesn't bother me too much really. Depending on the set up it can help for jumping if I remember my conformation rules correctly.

He's kinda cute. Unless that girl leading him is really tall, I doubt he's 15.2 though. It can't hurt to go look at him!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    He's kinda cute. Unless that girl leading him is really tall, I doubt he's 15.2 though. It can't hurt to go look at him!
    15.2 hands is only 5'2''. I'd peg that woman at right around 5'5''. I don't doubt that he's 15.2. (15.2ish, anyway. )

What do you want to do with him? His neck drops off after the withers and ties in low and he's downhill but hopefully will outgrow that. He's cute and he's cheap, shouldn't be too hard to resell.

Quote Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
    What do you want to do with him? His neck drops off after the withers and ties in low and he's downhill but hopefully will outgrow that. He's cute and he's cheap, shouldn't be too hard to resell.
    I want to feed him and hug him. Then I want to geld him. Then I want to put a saddle on him and get him going walk, trot and canter. Long term I'd want to take him to a couple of local H/J shows and see if I could sell him and break even. At almost three he's probably too young to start over fences it depends on what his actual age is I guess. I wonder if they know his actual birth date.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I don't see the fetlock issue. Maybe I'm blind? Upright doesn't bother me too much really. Depending on the set up it can help for jumping if I remember my conformation rules correctly.
    I see a bigger fetlock on the left. I would just look at it.

Upright in the shoulder can = one hell of an uncomfortable ride, sewing machine style, especially with as straight up and down as this guy looks. It could just be the picture.

I like! Take the trailer when you go. Let us know what you decide. (Enable, enable, enable! LOL!)

I found some more photos and previous listing with a higher price tag. There's no phone number so I have to wait for them to email me back. (Today's a very boring day at work)

I think new photo #5 shows his shoulder better. I am bad at picking out an upright shoulders so please help conformation peeps with judging that.

Thor is a beautiful 15.2hh black appy stallion with white spots on his rump. he is 2.5 years old. He was unhandled until we purchased him and he is doing very well. He greets you at the gate and thrives on attention. He will lead, load, & tie. He is being worked with on his farrier skills and is coming along nicely. He enjoys the attention and wants to learn. We are going to start him under saddle this week and his price will increase as his riding abilities do. For more information or to come and check him out, please email. serious inquiries only please. no tire kickers. asking $400.00 or best REASONABLE offer.
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app4.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app5.jpg
    http://showhorsegallery.com/random/app6.jpg