The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USA Saddlepads

Does anyone know why the American Flag on the saddle pads are backwards on the right side? http://www.chronofhorse.com/sites/de...SAEbeling2.jpg You would think at the Olympics they would get the flags right? Just curious
    Last edited by Belleaphant; Aug. 2, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: bad grammar.. oopsie
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

I'd assume this is for the same reason that they look "backwards" on military uniforms:

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ‘reverse side flag’.
    http://www.usflag.org/flagpatch.html
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I never knew. Cool piece of trivia!

I knew there had to be a reason. Thanks for clearing that up!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

wow. i have NO idea where i pulled this information from in therecesses of my mind but as soon as i saw the pic i thought "stars forward, always!" which someone must havetold me as a kid but i never knew why, so, thanks for that, mg!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Great trivia factoid!! Thanks!
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!