The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Beaten With Chain Shank

I live in Putnam County, NY and something has happened recently that is almost impossible to comprehend. Back in November 2005, Anna Nicole Bruno was seen beating her horse, Colby, about the face with the chain end of a shank in his stall at Tilly Foster Farm in Brewster, NY by three other boarders. It took about 22 stitches and staples to close all the wounds on his head and nose.

This incident was reported to the Sheriff’s Dept. and Bruno was subsequently arrested for animal assualt. The 3 witnesses to this horrible incident gave depositions as to exactly what they saw that night. This apparently was not the first time Bruno had been cruel to the horse, as her mother was aware of past incidents as well as those at her previous barn. The outcome of case, which was agreed to by the Putnam County District Attorney and Bruno, was that Bruno was convicted of attempted animal cruelty, ordered to surrender the horse (which she had agreed to do) and undergo anger management treatment in Spring 2006. The deputy who arrested Bruno ended up adopting the horse. Attempts were made to find other adoptees and also to use Colby for a therapeutic program at Tilly Foster Farm but none of those came to fruitition.

Now 6 years after the settlement of the case, because of issues with the deputy who arrested her, Bruno has been able to get the conviction dismissed and is asking to have the horse returned to her. Issues with the deputy aside, what is being lost in all of this is that Bruno beat Colby, in the face with a chain shank, and cut him down to the bone. I saw the horse about 10 minutes after the beating happened, and it was a sight I hope I never see again. I don’t understand how this conviction can be thrown out when there are witnesses to the incident. There are many of us who are quite upset and think that Bruno should be brought to trail to settle this. I just can’t fathom how the justice system can wipe this out and think it is fine to have her get the horse back. Colby deserves better than to be put back into his abuser’s hand. Dismiss the conviction if you must, but don’t let her walk away scott free and get the horse back, not when there are witnesses who saw what she did.

I would ask anyone who loves horses and hates to see them abused, to call the Putnam County District Attorney’s office and ask for either Adam Levy or Christopher York and voice your displeasure with this situation and ask that Anna Nicole Bruno be brought to trail for this offense. The number is 845-808-1050. Abusers should never get their animals back and we will do everything we can to see that this does not happen.

I am posting this thread here because Bruno was a dressage rider and perhaps some of you in the dressage community are familiar with her. I am also posting this in the "Off Course" thread. The more people that know about this, the better for Colby.

Quote Originally Posted by Davignport View Post

Now 6 years after the settlement of the case, because of issues with the deputy who arrested her, Bruno has been able to get the conviction dismissed and is asking to have the horse returned to her.
    Who is she asking ? Who will make the decision ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

She has filed a suit against the deputy, and the Putnam County Sheriff. I am not sure who will make the decision. The article is on lohud.com and gives more details. There are quite a few claims that the Bruno's are making against the deputy that are lies.

Default Who Owns The Abused Horse?

Hi:

I believe you stopped by my farm today and left this post with the grooms. I did call and voiced my disapproval of returning the horse to Anna Bruno.

A couple of questions I do have are: Do you know if this horse is ridable, sound and does he have any vices?

Also, isn't it up to a judge to decide if she is fit to take possession of the horse again? Is the horse not owned by the ASPCA at this point?

If you really want to put pressure on the district attorney you need to get photos of the horse after the abuse and photos of him today and send your blog to local newspapers and television stations.

It seems strange that Ms. Bruno was only convicted of attempted animal cruelty since clearly there were witnesses and the animal suffered considerable injury.

I would be happy to help write a press release since I worked in PR for six years but would need more information to be accurate.

If you have any interest, you can reach me at 917-921-0884.

Thank you Petra. I appreciate the support. I will try and get some additional information on the issues you mentioned and definately give you a call.

I thank you for the call voicing your disapproval with Bruno getting the horse back.

I had mentioned to your grooms that my horse was born on your farm back in 1992 when it was owned by Tina Fay. You have certainly done a lot of work and it is quite the beautiful place.

A little slow out of the station but I hear a train whistle...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supercallafragelistic View Post
    Davignport, or should we call you Kathie Franco. How's Doc? I heard they beat him daily at the rehab facility after his surgery in '07. Are you still living in your sister's basement hoarding cats?? Strange that you have all this misinformation on a case that is public knowledge. It sounds like you're another of Dunn's minions, and believe a lie. The lie that Dunn fabricated so she could posess such a lovely horse. I hope that poor girl's family presses charges against you for this. And Petra, whoever you are.....Get a life.
    If either of you sought out the real facts, you'd know that this is no longer in the hands of the D.A. And that Anna was an innocent victim of a rogue deputy. Horses have accidents all the time. There actually weren't any witnesses that saw anything except that the horse hit his head. Ask the D.A. that question.
    Oh Dear.. Yes, Laurie, I hear it too. Choo,Choo..

I live in Putnam County, NY and something has happened recently that is almost impossible to comprehend. Back in November 2005, Anna Nicole Bruno was seen beating her horse, Colby, about the face with the chain end of a shank in his stall at Tilly Foster Farm in Brewster, NY by three other boarders. It took about 22 stitches and staples to close all the wounds on his head and nose.

This incident was reported to the Sheriff’s Dept. and Bruno was subsequently arrested for animal assualt. The 3 witnesses to this horrible incident gave depositions as to exactly what they saw that night. This apparently was not the first time Bruno had been cruel to the horse, as her mother was aware of past incidents as well as those at her previous barn. The outcome of case, which was agreed to by the Putnam County District Attorney and Bruno, was that Bruno was convicted of attempted animal cruelty, ordered to surrender the horse (which she had agreed to do) and undergo anger management treatment in Spring 2006. The deputy who arrested Bruno ended up adopting the horse. Attempts were made to find other adoptees and also to use Colby for a therapeutic program at Tilly Foster Farm but none of those came to fruitition.

Now 6 years after the settlement of the case, because of issues with the deputy who arrested her, Bruno has been able to get the conviction dismissed and is asking to have the horse returned to her. Issues with the deputy aside, what is being lost in all of this is that Bruno beat Colby, in the face with a chain shank, and cut him down to the bone. I saw the horse about 10 minutes after the beating happened, and it was a sight I hope I never see again. I don’t understand how this conviction can be thrown out when there are witnesses to the incident. There are many of us who are quite upset and think that Bruno should be brought to trail to settle this. I just can’t fathom how the justice system can wipe this out and think it is fine to have her get the horse back. Colby deserves better than to be put back into his abuser’s hand. Dismiss the conviction if you must, but don’t let her walk away scott free and get the horse back, not when there are witnesses who saw what she did.

I would ask anyone who loves horses and hates to see them abused, to call the Putnam County District Attorney’s office and ask for either Adam Levy or Christopher York and voice your displeasure with this situation and ask that Anna Nicole Bruno be brought to trail for this offense. The number is 845-808-1050. Abusers should never get their animals back and we will do everything we can to see that this does not happen.

I am posting this thread here because Bruno was a dressage rider and perhaps some of you in the dressage community are familiar with her. I am also posting this in the "Off Course" thread. The more people that know about this, the better for Colby.
    For posterity..

Davignport, or should we call you Kathie Franco. How's Doc? I heard they beat him daily at the rehab facility after his surgery in '07. Are you still living in your sister's basement hoarding cats?? Strange that you have all this misinformation on a case that is public knowledge. It sounds like you're another of Dunn's minions, and believe a lie. The lie that Dunn fabricated so she could posess such a lovely horse. I hope that poor girl's family presses charges against you for this. And Petra, whoever you are.....Get a life.
    If either of you sought out the real facts, you'd know that this is no longer in the hands of the D.A. And that Anna was an innocent victim of a rogue deputy. Horses have accidents all the time. There actually weren't any witnesses that saw anything except that the horse hit his head. Ask the D.A. that question.
    Nice of you to come on post a load of lies about me and Dunn. You might want to ask the 3 witnesses who were there that night, AND SAW BRUNO beating Colby, how he hurt himself. Witnesses who, by the way, did not know Dunn so that conspiracy theory goes out the window. Poor Niki got her horse taken away - just the poor little victim. You might want to search around for the photos that were taken after the beating. They were never published then but they will be now.

There are many people out there who are not just going to stand by and watch Niki get the horse back, if he is still alive. Some of us do abhor cruelty to animals. Obviously, you are not one of us.

Although I have no idea what the facts are of the case as to what actually happenned to the horse, it does seem very odd to me that the deputy got to keep the horse. Conflict of interest kind of odd.

But it happened 7 years ago. The horse is now 18. Why the interest now?

Quite the interesting drama though, let me see if I have this straight;

Owner pleads guilty to the abuse, and agrees to pay to send the horse to a sanctuary, but not have contact with the horse. Also agrees to take anger management classes. Who pleads guilty when they are innocent?

Deputy that "adopts" the horse for $100 is investigated for handling of animal abuse cases. I was unable to follow if the horse ended up at the sanctuary or with the deputy though.

Deputy formerly tried to ruin owner's rep with USEF by informing them of a "pepper spray incident with a friend" that was dropped, so apparently had a history of dislike for Anna. This part of the story was an interesting twist I thought.

Then in 2011 the defendent tries to get her guilty plea reversed because she was misled/coerced, and the "people" don't argue that something weird was going on with the deputy's conduct. So if I understand it correctly, her plea has been reversed and is now up in the air?

Ah, so that is why it is back in the news...certain people don't want her verdict reversed?

Seriously sounds like a made up equine soap opera plot!

There have been far to many popcorn threads recently, I am gaining weight.

It must be midsummer madness
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Hey Deanna - Are you still running that "rescue"? How many skinny, sick and dead horses do you have these days???
    Oh, my my..7 years ago?

Cognac anyone?

Seriously,Kathy, ask the witnesses EXACTLY what they saw. You know them....give a call and ask.
    Also, Disclosing evidence without authourization is illegal(Photos). You'll end up like Dunn. A convicted purjurer and thief. Everyone knows that she tricked Anna and tried to scare her into giving the horse up with words like "jail-time". It worked. The girl gave up the horse thinking Dunn knew she was innocent and would help her get him back. Dunn said if she went to trial, the judge and the D.A. would make a circus of her case to gain popularity for the upcoming election. She scared Anna into making the deal. Anna was only 20, and very much in love with her horse. What that Crazy cop did to her, she fought for 6 years to reverse. I'm proud of her for never giving up on the truth.
    Would either of you care to provide links to official records, to help us understand this debacle?

Wow. What a catfight. Yeah, records and links, please.

I put away the popcorn and broke out the meow mix.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    The Grove is on Facebook
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I put away the popcorn and broke out the meow mix.

I'll provide box o' wine.

Seriously,Kathy, ask the witnesses EXACTLY what they saw. You know them....give a call and ask.
    Also, Disclosing evidence without authourization is illegal(Photos). You'll end up like Dunn. A convicted purjurer and thief. Everyone knows that she tricked Anna and tried to scare her into giving the horse up with words like "jail-time". It worked. The girl gave up the horse thinking Dunn knew she was innocent and would help her get him back. Dunn said if she went to trial, the judge and the D.A. would make a circus of her case to gain popularity for the upcoming election. She scared Anna into making the deal. Anna was only 20, and very much in love with her horse. What that Crazy cop did to her, she fought for 6 years to reverse. I'm proud of her for never giving up on the truth.

As for disclosing the pictures, they WERE NEVER PART OF THE EVIDENCE or given to the Sheriff's dept. as they were taken by a private individual after the incident so there is no problem disclosing them. Nobody ever saw what Colby looked like after the beating but now they can. You are right - I know the witnesses and I know what they saw. Niki Bruno beating Colby - that's what they saw.

I think we need SEVERAL boxes...

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Wow. What a catfight. Yeah, records and links, please.
    No catfight, and no this is not made for motion picture subhuman drama. This is a fight for truth. It is not on the level of the fight for the nation but this is a fight for justice. I hope justice wins for a change.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    No catfight, and no this is not made for motion picture subhuman drama. This is a fight for truth. It is not on the level of the fight for the nation but this is a fight for justice. I hope justice wins for a change.
    Well when it plays out on a public BB under the cloak of anonymity it translates as subhuman (whatever that means) drama.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    The Grove is on Facebook
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/