The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Uvex Helmets

Does anyone know where to buy them in the US? Are they round or oval shaped? The sizes seem strange, they are S, M, L as opposed to head sizes, are they dial-a-fit?

My understanding is UVEX is working on the certifications for sales in the US. I am WAITING patiently to buy a new helmet from them because they make helmets with our logo but alas not available yet in the US.

http://www.uvex-sports.de/fileadmin/...g_eng_2012.pdf

Here is their 2012 catalog. It explains fit and styles.

The helmets have a little wheel in the back that makes them fit your head.

Very nice and cool helmets but not as chic as a GPA or CO. But very comfy: I am not sure if you can wear them with hunter hair, since in Germany we don't do that

Reitsport Schockemöhle offers them and i think they do ship to the US

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I think they look great.

Isabell Werth had one in shiny gold to go with a new dressage outfit, and it looked really chic. They certainly don't look like a brain bucket.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh, cool, this caught my attention. Uvex already sells ski helmets in this country....my son actually has 2 Uvex helmets that he uses for ski racing (one for GS, one for slalom). If the riding helmets are as nice as the ski helmets, may have to give them a try.

Just bought mine from divoza with 20% off so pretty much covered shipping. Will let you know how it works out. I am using it for schooling and have a CO as a show helmet. I hope they get approved here soon. They seem to have gained a huge following in the UK recently from what I see on horse and hound.

Update:

Helmet came in yesterday from the Netherlands. I picked up the uni vision model size XXS-S (my head size is around 53) it fits 53-55cm. I have to say its the most comfortable, best fitting helmet I have owned. I literally ran around with it fitted without snapping it closed and it would not fall off. I have had or have GPA air skin, CO (JR8/AYR), Tipp basic model and IRH. I loved the dial in the back as I got a custom fit and forgot riding I was wearing it. Great ventilation and super light. They claim they can fit ever head and i see why. As you move the dial the frame mold to the shape of your head. I wish I could legally compete in it sigh

Just found this thread. I have an UVEX Helmet for two years now. Never ever had one as comfy, light, well fitting and I always have had issues to find fitting ones. I do not have one of those dressage modells that look more like the old helmets. I have also a vision one. You can even buy "winterears" to put on them. Love mine ! The difference between the models as far as I know are the cheaper the less comfortable - but safety is equal. (I am not sure if the carbon one is even safer, as that one was at that time to expansive for me).

I can tell a bit about the story of them as it was told me:
    One of the managers in the department for motorcycle helmets what they produce for decades had a daughter who wanted to ride. Helmet was needed and he went to a tack shop with her. He did not really like what he saw. Discussed it with his boss and he was not really convinced to get into riding helmets.
    So this guy started to research nevertheless with some collegues. Bought helmets from all the brands available in germany and used the test equipement of the company. He presented the results to his boss and due to the fact they all were not following anything like the standars Uvex has for their helmets (Motorcycle and skiing e.g.) boss was persuaded to start a campaign to find out about business opportunities in the market of riding where they are not yet known in. Must have been good as you can buy now riding helmets by Uvex ;-)

I have also one for Skiing and it is equally comfy, light etc. (And not understandable - much cheaper).
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Very interesting. I kind of like the idea of vents that open and close for schooling. And I do love the blue! For those that have these, can you give us an idea on pricing? And shipping costs? TIA.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Very interesting. I kind of like the idea of vents that open and close for schooling. And I do love the blue! For those that have these, can you give us an idea on pricing? And shipping costs? TIA.
    My Uvision with shipping from the Netherlands was 80 base usd plus 25 shipping total 105 usd (Divoza).

The FP3 is about 218 usd at the moment uvision is 109 usd both at divoza. They are running a 20% off one item promo right now code is on their site. I found with the code it basically paid for the shipping. Mine shipped FedEx took 4-5 days to reach me.

That's very reasonable. Thanks for the info!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde