The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aggressive Dog with Inadequate Fence - Suggestions?

My husband and I adopeted a sweet boxer/pointer mix about 3-4 months ago - she came with no manners and no training...but a good attitude...and has been adapting to civilized life well

Before we adopted our dog, we didn't think that there were many dogs in the neighborhood because we NEVER saw anyone out walking their dogs. However, as soon as we brought our girl home and started walking her around the neighborhood, we realized that there are actually quite a few dogs...who appear to live outside in people's fenced backyards or be put out into the fenced parking areas of some local businesses at night. We never encounter them out and about...but they seemed to pop out of the woodwork and start barking up a storm or running their fencelines when we walk our dog past. For the most part, the fenced-in dogs are contained within adequate fences...and most of them now run up to the fence, bark once or twice as we go by, but realize that my dog is the same dog who walks by almost every day and doesn't bother them...then they lose interest. My dog has done very well learning some leash manners and at this point will, 99% of the time, acknowledges the fenced-in dog, maybe whines a bit, but keeps on walking...no barking, no lunging at the other dogs, etc.

However, there's one rather problematic dog...appears to be a very large GSD cross...who is kept in the fenced-in parking area of a business at the end of my street (it's a castle...yes, somebody built a very large castle, complete with turrets, fake drawbridges and portcullis, and a fake-stone plywood wall around it...I think they rent it out for parties or something). If this dog is out in the parking area and we walk anywhere near the gate (and by anywhere near, I mean accross the street, through the 4-way intersection by the castle, pretty much anywhere within line-of-sight of the gate), the dog goes ballistic - barking, growling, snapping, hackles up, lunging at the gate-type ballistic. The problem is compounded by the fact that there's a gap between the gates (they're chained shut) and when the dog lunges at the gate, he can get his head, shoulders, and front legs through the gap - which scares the living daylights out of me and my dog! I'm honestly not sure how the dog hasn't gotten all the way out yet...and I'm not convinced that, if he got out, he wouldn't come after my dog and I. The day that the dog got closest to completely exiting his fence, my dog put herself between me and the other dog, started barking back, but quickly responded when I told her to "leave it" and walked on with me while whining...

I would avoid the area entirely...except that all possible dog walking routes from my house involve going either past the castle gate...or through the intersection that is visable from the gate...unless I put my dog in the car and drive her somewhere to walk her (which seems ridiculous...). My husband did try to talk to the dog owners (their house is accross the street from the castle) when he saw one of them in the yard...but they brushed it off and just told him that the dog is a guard dog and it barks. My husband tried to explain that we are not on the property (at closest, we are accross the street), not trying to approach the gate, and we are very concerned that the dog could escape.

Any suggestions for dealing with the situation? At this point, we try to sneak past the castle quietly and hope the dog doesn't notice...which is rather unsuccessful
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Have you talked to the castle owners about the problem?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Have you talked to the castle owners about the problem?
    yep - they're the same people who own the dog. They brushed off my husband's concerns when he finally found one of the owners out in the yard of the house. We had previously tried going to the castle, but nobody ever answers the bell (there's a giant bell...with a rope to pull...instead of the doorknob). Our phone messages were not returned.
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Carry a can of mace

It sucks, but I would avoid walking the dog there. Just too much risk, not to mention YOUR stress levels.

Is there any law or statute or anything about how guard dogs have to be confined? Perhaps it would be worth researching, as the cops or animal control guys could step in if the owners are not meeting minimum requirements.

loading your dog up in a car and walking somewhere else might seem unreasonable, but if this dog ever does get loose (and from your description it seems to be just a matter of time), you might feel differently.

If the GSD mix does make it through the fence, you could be looking at a dead or seriously damaged dog that would take months of rehab and/or thousands of dollars in vet bills. Since the owners have already shown you who they are, in that they have brushed your concerns away, I would not be surprised if they refuse to pay for any of the possible bills. Most emergency clinics (assuming that is where you would head if the dog got loose and tore your dog up) want paid up front, so you will have to try and recover your expenses.

This of course does not even begin to address if YOU are injured.

Or the money you might be out if you decided to take them to court.

I decided long ago that walking my dogs in town and around loose, poorly behaved dogs was not in my best interest.

Unfortunatly there is really nothing you can do about the dog unless it is successful in not only getting out of the fence but off of their property. Which really is not worth the risk of injury to you or your dog.

If you have to walk past there I would carry pepper spray or something else to protect yourself with
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I'd avoid the area, honestly. You really, really do not want to put your dog in that position. It can be really traumatizing for them to be attacked by aggressive loose dogs, and it can be really tough to get them past that kind of experience. Mine's had three run-ins with aggressive dogs in the 4.5 years I've had him, and it's really made him hypervigilant and defensive when any loose dog approaches him now. And of course I am not helping things either, because when I see a loose dog who's not acting friendly, I get anxious.

So we play in the fenced-in yard now, and only walk when my DH can come with us. It is easier to deal with a loose dog if there are two of us. There is not much I can do if I am holding two dogs and an 80-pound GS comes out after us; that is a horrible feeling.

Does the dog come out if just you walk by? If it does, carry an air horn; those are really pretty powerful deterrents and you don't have to touch the dog for them to work. Our dog trainer recommended that option over other options (stout stick or mace).
    Full-time bargain hunter.

If the castle owners are unwilling to change anything, I'd reconsider throwing your dog in the car and driving to your local great dog-walking place. Better safe than sorry with a punctured dog or worse. If you haven't read Superminion's thread you might want to see how things can go south very quickly: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=358946

If she's unaccustomed to cars, you'll be able to work on 2 things at once - frequent short rides to a fun outing are the quickest way to get a dog to love your car.

Even if you only travel a few blocks then park and go, it will keep you from encountering the guard dog. I would be concerned about creating stress and a habit of nervousness/ aggression in your new dog triggered by constant exposure to the aggressive dog - sounds like you're already on your way to that with your girl stepping forward and barking back.

I'd also get some basic training going. Teaching her to ignore other dogs while on walks is imperative. The less reactive your dog is when walking near another dog, the less reactive the other guy tends to be (generally) .

I sympathize with you not being able to take walk from your home, but if there's the slightest possibility that Cujo can get out, there would be only one choice for me...ROADTRIP!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    If you haven't read Superminion's thread you might want to see how things can go south very quickly: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=358946
    I had not looked at the updates to that thread.

wow.

if it's an actual business, you might be able to play on their "i might sue your ass off" heartstrings- maybe they don't quite grasp the problem, as in, time to video the dog about to get out and show them it's a bit more than a barking problem.
    It's also possible you are worried about nothing- many a dog will act like a vicious killer if safely contained behind a fence, but in actual reality the dog has zero desire to actually confront you, and if the fence vanished or the dog actually got out the dog would be more horrified than you and would slink quietly off.

Otherwise, yeah, can you find anywhere else to walk? I mostly gave up walking in my own neighborhood some years ago- the regular "is there or isn't there an invisible fence?" inner debate as some huge dog bounds towards you cowering on the sidewalk just took all of the fun out of it. Now I just routinely load the dogs in the car and drive ten minutes to a really nice park.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I had not looked at the updates to that thread.

wow.
    Right? Its an example of "What can go wrong? " -on-crack. Literally.

Count me in as another who rarely walks her dogs around the neighborhood, btw. Not because of attack-peekapoos but because I HATE walking dogs on lead carrying a bag of poo. Make that 5(now 4 since last Sat) bags of poo. So my guys go to the woods at least once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Right? Its an example of "What can go wrong? " -on-crack. Literally.
    that was a scary freaking update. Hope she's ok now.

Yes, I read somewhere that she is doing PT so she had something more than the bite going on.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    loading your dog up in a car and walking somewhere else might seem unreasonable, but if this dog ever does get loose (and from your description it seems to be just a matter of time), you might feel differently.

If the GSD mix does make it through the fence, you could be looking at a dead or seriously damaged dog that would take months of rehab and/or thousands of dollars in vet bills. Since the owners have already shown you who they are, in that they have brushed your concerns away, I would not be surprised if they refuse to pay for any of the possible bills. Most emergency clinics (assuming that is where you would head if the dog got loose and tore your dog up) want paid up front, so you will have to try and recover your expenses.

This of course does not even begin to address if YOU are injured.

Or the money you might be out if you decided to take them to court.

I decided long ago that walking my dogs in town and around loose, poorly behaved dogs was not in my best interest.
    what finally worked for me when my neighbors rottie would jump fence to chase my horses (other approaches did not) - was pointing out that my horses were insured and that if dog killed or injured them the insurance company would be coming after them

they were not concerned about me but did worry about insurance co.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I wouldn't just worry about dog attacks, but what happens to you when the dog squeezes through the gate? I would drive past there, and be glad that when someone gets chewed up it's not your dog or you. It's not worth the risk. However, if there is an animal control that actually works in your area I would call them about the dog. An animal that is so aggressive should be covered by the vicious dog laws if there are any where you live. And if the owners confront you lie about knowing anything about it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The big problem is like what others have posted, some very non-aggressive dgs act very tough behind a fence or kennel door but are not actually aggressive once out. So until something happens to prove otherwise AC cannot just assume a barking growling fenced dog is aggressive. best you could do is call AC and mention what is going on and where, and see if they have had previous issues with said dog. If so, there may be more they can do to require the gate reenforced.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I wonder what would happen if you started tossing the dog treats? I've never had to deal w/something like this but it might be something you could try and see what happens. Probably won't hurt, owners might object but then they shouldn't matter as they aren't listening to you so why should you listen to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you started tossing the dog treats?
    if you do this, condition the aggressor dog to you tossing treats without your dog in the mix first.

You go for a walk and if he comes out, toss a handful of small, smelly treats behind him for him to have to search for. Do that at least 10-14 times before you begin to bring your dog along.