The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your Favorite Olympic Moment So Far?

Mine is a 2-parter. This morning during the men's trampoline competition the camera zoomed in on the American's coach as she watched his routine. Eyes up, eyes down, eyes up, eyes down, eyes up, eyes down.

A couple of minutes later they did a close-up of 2 cameramen, side by side, and they were angling their big TV cameras up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down ... and then the commentator said, voice over, "Just the opposite of tennis."

Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Well,watching that 15 year old kid Ledecke of win the 800M freestyle tonight was pretty special. A gold and breaking Janet Evans' record. And good grief, she won by over 4 seconds!

And frankly, one might get tired of hearing about it, but what Michael Phelps has accomplished is pretty darned special.

I saw a recap of the 1992 Olympics in which a runner broke down due to an injury on the track...he got up and hobbled his way on and his dad came down, put an arm around him and carried him across the finish line...that was powerful and very moving (I had never seen that footage before)

In these Olympics...Gabby's performance gave me goosebumps. I'm in awe of all those gymnists.

It was also moving watching Michael Phelps retire last night.

I enjoyed the GBR women winning gold.
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Ohh wait..I forgot about this one.

Watching the 6 mile track race yesterday....(I'm terrible remembering names, sorry)...the US runner and British Runner had been training together in Oregon under the same coach for quite a while. The British runner got the gold and the American got the silver. They were hugging each other/congratulating each other at the end.

I was getting tired just watching those guys run...What it must feel like to be able to run 6 miles in under 30 minutes. I'm just happy to get three done in 32 minutes.

lol something never to be forgotten
    spite and roll
    after the 10,000 meters gulen rupp spits and mo farah nearly does a head roll in it
    yuk

Andy winning gold at home!
    Proud member of the Clean Horse, Dirty House Clique! Founder of the Goodbye Fat, Hello Muscle Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Ohh wait..I forgot about this one.

Watching the 6 mile track race yesterday....(I'm terrible remembering names, sorry)...the US runner and British Runner had been training together in Oregon under the same coach for quite a while. The British runner got the gold and the American got the silver. They were hugging each other/congratulating each other at the end.

I was getting tired just watching those guys run...What it must feel like to be able to run 6 miles in under 30 minutes. I'm just happy to get three done in 32 minutes.
    That was one of my favorite moments, I loved his look of surprise and happiness when he realized his training partner was second.

I don't know if this is actually this year or not, but
    this is my favorite so far, if it really did happen in the olympics.

Wait, it is at this Olympics, didn't know that it was the 30th. Obviously I don't really watch it a lot, beyond the horses.

As terrible as this sounds, I secretly enjoy when the track runners fall. It makes me feel better about the fact that when I run, I generally fall on my face too.

"Even the best fall down some times..."

But my favorite serious moment was when Kirani James asked Oscar Pistorius to trade the name papers after their heat of the qualifier... For all who don't know him by name, Pistorius is the man with two prosthetic legs competing in track. James won the heat while Pistorius came in last, but James apparently really admired Pistorious, and they both seemed really supportive of each other even though they were competing.

I also find it funny how all the gymnasts don't seem supportive of each other, but in nearly every other event, they always congratulate everyone else after the event.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Agree abut the gymnasts I was disappointed in Maroney's attitude last night. I understand that she was upset about the second vault. But damn girl, you land on your ass and still get the silver. Smile and be gracious when the girl who won the gold comes over and hugs you. Put that lower lip back in and put on a sportsman's attitude. You can pout in private

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Murray's win!!!! And Zara Phillips cross country round, followed by our silver in Eventing.

I also loved Chad Le Clos's reaction when he beat Michael Phelps in the butterfly, and the fact that South Africa won and I got to hear my favourite national anthem of all!!!, sorry GB and USA. Finally, Farrah and Rupps joint excitement when they won gold and silver respectively was really fun to watch - what great shows of sportsmanship, which is really what this is all about!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I thought it was classy of the winner (James from Grenada, the eventual gold medalist) of the men's 400 M semi last night to swap name tags with Pistorius, who came in last.

And GB winning SJ gold, congrats, good show! I only got blow by blows on the web while dutifully at work, but very exciting and I'll catch up to the video later!

And (updating/editing late tonight)- ah, the men's gymnastics- rings- always a favorite. 39 yo Bulgarian incredible though landing reflects that the knees go first in pretty much every sport!
    Last edited by Beverley; Aug. 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

GBR winning gold in show jumping team! I just caught up on the BBC feed. It was awesome! Congrats!

Tonight I give a sportsmanship award to Dawn Harper, defending gold medalist in the 100 M hurdles, who lost a photo finish to Sally Pearson of Australia and still exhibited a) quick, and genuine congrats to the winner, b) exhorted the crowd to applaud the winner, and c) on the post race interview expressed great delight with her silver medal (as did bronze medalist Kellie Wells). 'Any' medal is a great achievement and it seems like the press and some athletes are 'gold or pfft' in their attitudes.

So far, had to be last night watching the men's gymnastics event final. The American, whose name i cannot seem to remember, wound up coming in fifth, but you could tell just how excited he was to be there. He enthusiastically congratulated the guy who knocked him out of medal contention, and then looked super pumped to watch the eventual gold medalist do his 2 rounds.
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Tonight I give a sportsmanship award to Dawn Harper, defending gold medalist in the 100 M hurdles, who lost a photo finish to Sally Pearson of Australia and still exhibited a) quick, and genuine congrats to the winner, b) exhorted the crowd to applaud the winner, and c) on the post race interview expressed great delight with her silver medal (as did bronze medalist Kellie Wells).
    Yes, this was great! Exciting race, and all 3 medalists looked so happy to be there. The silver medalist looked like she was just having a blast either way. Just takes it to the next level when people still have joy getting to do what they do, whether they win or not. A lot of grace under pressure, for sure

ETA: Just saw the video of Aly Raisman putting her Gold for floor exercise around her coach's neck and you could tell, even from the camera angle behind him, he got all verklempt. It was very sweet to hear her describe it.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Aly Raisman proved she is a class act last night. But I did get a chuckle last night when they showed another spectator telling her dad to sit down. I would have been miffed to pay big bucks for a ticket and get stuck sitting beside those two