The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 50th birthday what did you or do you want to do?

The big 50 if approaching for me (not this birthday but the next). I'd like to do something fun and memorable. Preferably that involves my horse but is also suitable for non-riders. And with the sucky economy something that is not too expensive for folks. I'm thinking of going to a horse camping place that also has horses for rent near Santa Barbara so folks who want to ride and don't own a horse could ride and the non-horsey folk could meet up for dinner in SB? Or I could do a weekend of horse camping with my horsey friends and something else with the rest? My big brothers 50th was a camping trip on the central coast with great food and fun including we all went kayaking. What did you do for your 50th or what would you like to do?

Default family party

My sisters and I each had an especially nice dinner party for each other with specially nice gifts. Sounds tame compared to your ideas - I like the sound of the kayaking.

For me, I bought my first truck & trailer as a birthday present and my sisters got me trailer items. Not traditional, I know, but very fulfilling. This was also before Lehman brothers (dating myself now) crash.
    Forward...go forward

For various reasons it didn't happen until I was 51, but it was meant to happen while I was 50, and to celebrate my 50th...

I backpacked around Scotland. Got as far north as the Shetland Islands, and as far south as the Borders. As far east as Aberdeen and as far west as Skye. I also met up with a couple of people I'd only known online.

Trains, buses and ferries were my friends.

It was a fabulous, once-in-a-lifetime trip by myself with lots of quirky adventures.

Do something you've never done before, something that most 50-year-olds wouldn't attempt!

Liz

My SIL and I are going to Mackinaw Island - she will get to enjoy the Grand Hotel and I get to enjoy the horses.

For my 50th birthday, I am going to WEG in France and then meeting my SO in Rome for a week. We are saving for 2 years for the trip and it's going to be a great one!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

While I honestly don't remember what we did for my 50th, for my husband's 50th, we went hot-air ballooning down in Charlottesville. I presented the gift certificate by attaching it to one of those little helium birthday balloons that I allowed to float around the house until he came home from work. The whole experience was wonderful - even though a serious height-phobic like me saw her life pass before eyes several times - lol! He said it was the best present he ever had.

i will be trying to keep my brother from making some big fracking embarassing thing out of it.

but i think i'll treat myself to a weekend at the beach at a *nice* hotel, instead of the sleep inn.

i know what i do not want to do for my 50th. the same thig i did did for this one.. spend it the hospital haveing a stoke..
    i would love to spend it with dh some where just him and me maybe if warm enough a picinc and watcing the sky. in the middle of no where.
    Friend of bar .ka

Horse camping would be a blast! Are you thinking of Rancho Oso?

I just celebrated my 50th. Hubby hired a private chef to cater a Tapas Party at our home. We invited my immediate family, and closest friends. It was fabulous! We sat out by the firepit, enjoyed wine and delicious food, and the company!
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

For her 50th my sister rented a big, old farmhouse near a lake, with a pasture for her horses. We went swimming, boating/waterskiing, and riding. It was fun!

I'm not likely to do anything about my 50th when it comes, I don't like celebrating my birthdays. But since it will also be the year my husband turns 50, I am going to talk him into renting a sailboat, preferably a big catamaran, with him at the helm (he loves sailing and works so much he doesn't have the time anymore) and a couple of good friends, and coast-sail around Corsica. Probably ain't going to happen tho.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I want to vacate the planet. I'm hoping (I doubt it will be in place or that I can afford the ticket) that I can get on a vehicle that goes in low earth orbit.

Since that will probably NOT happen, I'm looking for ideas, too.

Running away sounds better than gathering with friends, at this point. Having an adventure!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I just turned fifty back in June. For several months leading up to "the big one," I saw many of my friends also turn 50, and each one seemed to take a more elaborate trip than the next - Napa Valley, Paris, Budapest, a Caribbean cruise, you name it. Well, taking a big, elaborate trip wasn't going to be possible for me, and I was fine with that. What was REALLY bothering me was that this one special day would pass just like every other day: I'd get up, go to work, and come home. I never, ever take the day off for my birthday but I just couldn't bear the thought of this milestone day coming and going as if nothing happened.

What I ended up doing was volunteering for half a day at a horse rescue organization about an hour from where I live. I called them a few days before and said I wanted to come lend a hand for a few hours. They were a little bemused but they accommodated me - I arrived at 9:00 a.m., got a tour of the place, met each of the horse, heard their amazing/horrible/sad/hearbreaking/inspiring stories, and then I spent the next 3 hours grooming them and just hanging out in the pastures with them.

Later in the day, I rode my own horse and spending the time with those special horses earlier in the day really made me appreciate how lucky both my horse and I are.

My sister had a huge party and got lots of great gifts and everyone came.

My 50th went by without a blip on the radar. I think I got one card and a gift from the DH. No party, no gifts, no friends or relatives.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

My 50th is in four years - I will forgo the party & focus on my goal - owning my house with no debt by then! Since I came close to losing it not so long ago, and I am a sole income family (me!) this is not a small goal. I think I may be one of the few looking forward to their 50th bday!

Are you looking to have two separate events? If so, you can always have a dinner for the non-horse riders and a horse-riding event for the riders, like you had mentioned. You could also host a big event that includes horse-riding but also offers an outside dinner for those who don't ride . You could see if the camp will set up tables and you can make food for the event. I'm sure you have some close friends that wouldn't mind baking cookies or bringing a dish.