The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

I just want to say thank you to all who have been able to watch and are willing to comment about what you see. I can't see any video but at least can see the scores. Getting instant feedback it GREAT!!!!

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spur Of The Moment View Post
    David Marcus is a true horseman, after his ride he says to the Canadian coach "That's horses". A quote I'm sure all of us equestrians can relate to one ride or another.
    I was really impressed with how he got the horse back together before the test started when he tried to quit ... and then with how well he kept things together until the horse lost it.

Liked how quietly and sympathetically he rode through it all, too, and the fact that even while the horse was leaping around, he took the time to salute the judges at C and at A before exiting.

Just thought he handled it with class.

The horse is quite young, yet, is he not?

Shitty luck, and disappointing, but we sure can't be disappointed in how our riders are handling themselves through adversity these last few days, that's for darned sure.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I was sort of glad the horse spooked the entire way out of the ring. Meaning that if you're going to have such a mega-disaster befall you, it was better (silly word in this context) that it be a true upset that lasted a long time and the horse was obviously shying left & right (literally) all the way out of the arena; it wasn't just 1 or 2 blow-ups that cost you everything in 2 short seconds.

Know what I mean?

(yeah, yeah, grasping at straws here, but still....)

question - how is it determined who makes it thru to next round? is there a fixed or adjustable numerical cutoff, or the top x riders irrespective of score, or how?

Thanks!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

WA:

It's complicated, but...

We're in Round 1 now (the Grand Prix). Everyone rides in this round. The top 7 3-horse teams move forward, as well as the top 11 individual riders not otherwise qualifying via their team. It's a little different than evening, in that the 3-rider teams had to be named ahead of time, and the 4th rider in countries that have a team competes as an individual only. In other words, there is no drop score.

(So... when David Marcus got eliminated, Canada's chance to advance a Team to the medal stage went out the window... but his country-mates can still qualify as individuals, if they score in the top 11 of non-team riders... I think.)

The advancing riders (32 of them) all go to Round 2, the Grand Prix special. Team medals are awarded after Round 2, based on the highest scores of team riders in Rounds 1 and 2 combined.

The top 18 riders in Round 2 (except no more than 3 from any country) advance to Round 3, Grand Prix freestyle. Round 1 scores don't count in choosing who advances to Round 3. Individual medals are awarded based solely on the Freestyle (Round 3) score.

Note: all this assumes no ties. If scores are tied in any round, extra riders may advance. E.g. if there is a tie for 11th place amongst non-team-qualified riders at the end of Round 1, the tied riders both advance.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

thank you, quietann. beautifully explained!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I don't like the current scoring system, I think it was better with the 4 rider team and a drop score. Such a shame that now Canada has already lost a chance at a team placing and the competition has barely begun.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    question - how is it determined who makes it thru to next round? is there a fixed or adjustable numerical cutoff, or the top x riders irrespective of score, or how?

Thanks!!
    According to the FEI Rules, Article 455, only the top 7 teams and the top 11 riders not on a team move on to the Grand Prix Special. No cutoff score, just by placings.

Then the top 18 riders go on from there, with only the top three from each nation allowed. So no country can have all four riders (if they have them) in the Freestyle.

By the scoring on the London website, it looks like the entire Canada team is eliminated, which seems like it would prevent any of the team riders from progressing to the Special. Just like the riders on one of the teams not placed in the top 7 would not be able to go on.

So it seems like Ashley will ride tomorrow for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

That would be very sad!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

It makes riding as an individual look like not a bad idea!

Just to add to Quietann's explanation:
    The GP and the OGPS count 50/50 for team medals.

And yes, Ashley and Jacqui are still eligible to continue on as individuals. Unless there are other eliminations tomorrow, Canada will be the last placed team out of 10 in this round, and only 7 move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BoldChance View Post
    I was really impressed with how he got the horse back together before the test started when he tried to quit ... and then with how well he kept things together until the horse lost it.

Liked how quietly and sympathetically he rode through it all, too, and the fact that even while the horse was leaping around, he took the time to salute the judges at C and at A before exiting.

Just thought he handled it with class.

The horse is quite young, yet, is he not?

Shitty luck, and disappointing, but we sure can't be disappointed in how our riders are handling themselves through adversity these last few days, that's for darned sure.
    I was watching live and was totally gutted for him. Awful moment- horse was terrified of men wearing plastic bags too poor fella.

I'm watching the dressage replay online... there is no commentary, so you can only hear the ambient arena noises. why is it that we can hear so many of these horses breathing so heavily? is that common and nothing to be alarmed about?

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Sure glad Ashley won't be riding into the ring tomorrow with that attitude. It's never "for nothing".

I would imagine that being as Canada no longer has a qualifiable "team", Ashley and Jackie automatically ride as individuals.

Therefore should either one of them find themselves in the top 11 riders not on advancing teams, they each could well have a shot at advancing.

Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong...
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I can't imagine that is right. It is likely the top 11 riders (whether riding as individuals or on the teams outside of the top 7) who advance to round 2 in addition to the top 7 teams. Any other way seems crazy. It would leave open the possibil.ity that the rider qualifying first at these olympics would not be eligible for a gold medal. It would also mean that for a team with one medal contender and 2 good not great riders, the logical thing would be to avoid having a team so that your medal contentender would have a chance.

Unless only the GP counts toward qualification for the individual final,
    Then it wouldn't matter who goes forward to the special. But then why have any individuals in the special because they don't count toward a team score.

I suspect that the qualifiers for the freestyle are determined from the combined GP, GP special scores and that both individuals and riders from teams outside the top 7 are eligible for the 11 spots in the Special

I really think that in a team competition sport where each athlete has a "team member" that is basically still an unpredictable animal it is too cruel not to have a drop score. Horses are still horses, so one has "A Very Bad Day at Exactly the Wrong Time" and poof there goes your whole team?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I don't follow dressage, when did they switch from the 4 rider team/drop score format? And what was the reason for changing to the current format?

It says the top 7 teams and the 11 highest-placed riders not otherwise participating as the qualified team members. (bolding mine)

It's a little confusing. I guess in this case, the "qualified" means for the GPS phase, not qualified for the games in general.

It sure makes a lot more sense for the riders to be able to go on. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't follow dressage, when did they switch from the 4 rider team/drop score format? And what was the reason for changing to the current format?
    Could have this wrong, but I thought it was done so more teams could participate. Like there were a limited number of spots total, so fewer rider per team meant more countries could come. But that is just some weird memory I have and I'm not sure it is correct!

I had to replay Anky's final moments as I thought I just missed her salute, but guess not. Maybe a wave to the crowd counts the same?!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilla Wafer View Post
    I'm watching the dressage replay online... there is no commentary, so you can only hear the ambient arena noises. why is it that we can hear so many of these horses breathing so heavily? is that common and nothing to be alarmed about?
    If it's the same as the eventing Dressage, they have the flower boxes mic-ed. So you def get some close up sound!