The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default flea control for barn cats?

there's a whole passle of 'em, so it needs to be effective and economical.......there's about 25, not all catchable, but am getting them trapped for neutering, so figure ill do a flea treatment that way...............

any ideas?.........seem the barn is lousy with fleas, as i brought some inside on my socks the other day...

I don't have a inexpensive treatment for the cats. But, for the barn area mix 5 parts Borateen (laundry aisle at the grocery store) and 1 part salt. Sprinkle around the barn, especially the tackroom and any sleeping areas. Great and inexpensive way to break the life cycle of fleas.

Also, check and see if you have No Nosense Nuetering close to you. They had a grant to spay and nueter strays. $10.00 per cat and includes a rabies shot.

wow, thanks,that is a terriffic price............and i thought that 20.00 from the spca was a great price!

is that flea mixure ok around the hay?.........not ON it, just in the area around it........

I buy the large vials of Frontline Plus for dogs over 88 pounds and "break" it down for cats.

Following the information on this page:
    http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html (scroll down to where they discuss Frontline), each 10 pound cat would receive .5ml of Frontline. Adjust up or down according to the weight of the cat.

I draw the Frontline out of each vial using a 12 cc syringe, and then, using the 12cc syringe, put the appropriate dosage into a smaller 1ml syringe.

The chemicals and concentration are the same for both the dog and cat forms of Frontline, it's just the volume per vial that differs.

I've been doing this for years, with my vets' knowledge.

I would avoid using any kind of Hartz flea control product.

It's great that you're trying to take care of all those cats.

I would leave a buffer zone around the hay. Maybe a foot away and sprinkle lighter in the ajoining area. Higher concentration in areas that you notice flea activity. BTW they like to infest clothing or blankets stored in plastic bags.

I am so glad I found the recipe after years and $$$ fighting summertime flea infestation.