The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ack, fleas!

My dogs are covered in fleas. I've used shampoo, spot-on, spray- everything I can think of and I just can't get rid of the little buggers. The spot-on was prescribed by the vet. Same stuff as Frontline, but works out a bit cheaper. House has been treated, too.

They're wormed regularly.

I've been going over them with a flea comb but with four dogs it takes quite a while.

What else can I try?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We had a big problem with fleas last fall, after caring for someone else's dog . Frontline did not work on these fleas. Advantage II did, it too a couple of months to get them all out of the house though. Treated dogs with Advantage, vacuumed every day, washed dog and people bedding every other day. Eventually, the fleas were gone. Capstar will knock all the adult fleas off the dog right away, but more will just hop back on if they are in the environment. I used the Capstar right before taking the dogs to anyone else's house, so I didn't spread the misery. You might want to consider treating your yard too...I spread dimataceous earth on the dogs' favorite sleeping areas outside. I also vacuumed and treated my car, which the dogs spend quite a bit of time in.

If you havent tried Advantage... Start there. But I would make sure it's been at least three weeks since I put the last topical on. I've used DE its great especially on carpets etc. if you are using it on the dog... Make sure that you buy food grade de

Advantage. I feel your pain. My new cat brought fleas in the house. I also bought a methoprene pesticide for bedding, beds, and furniture. It will interrupt the development of larval and nymph stages of the new fleas. It won't do much for the adults, but that's okay. The adults won't live very long -it's the next generation you have to watch.

I feel your pain.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I've been having the same problem. I was addressing it by bathing in a flea shampoo and then three to five days later using Frontline. It helped with the fleas - although didn't eliminate them entirely - but two of my dogs developed an allergic reaction and started losing hair.

I ordered Advantage and I'm going to try it, three days after I bathe with a hypoallergenic shampoo.

Fleas, we hates 'em.

That's the price of no winter -at least out here. It is going to be a buggy summer and fall.

Paula

We have winter AND fleas here! Not in our household but at work I see a lot of people dealing with them.

You have to treat the house as much as the dog(s)-our resident "bug guy" expert tells us to tell people to vacuum every single day for two weeks and treat the furniture, beds and floors.

I'm looking at my Advantage II box and it says that under normal circumstances, treating once a month is sufficient and recommended, but in the case of severe infestations, dogs can be treated more often, but never more often than every 7 days.

I remember when we were battling a lot of fleas (I found them crawling on the dogs, on my bed, on my cat,...), I did it about every two weeks, three times, before I stopped actually seeing fleas hopping around, even with the daily vacuuming, dog washing, laundry doing, etc... If, more than a week out, I saw copious amounts of fleas on the dog's bellies, I'd treat again, it tended to be two weeks. I did not start that until the last (ineffective) Frontline application was a month out, though. Dogs seemed fine and I DID get rid of all the fleas, eventually.

The goal is to give the fleas nothing to eat (by treating all animals with an effective topical) and to get as many eggs and nymphs out of your environment as you can with aggressive vacuuming (furniture too). Eventually the fleas will starve and go away or at least reduce in number to a degree that normal flea control measures (monthly treatment and normal housecleaning routines) are effective again.

I learned my lesson and won't care for any friend's or relative's dogs in my home unless they have been kept on a topical and are given a Capstar (I keep it on hand) before coming in my house. In this instance the fleas came in on a dog who lives in the city (we're a bit in the boonies), they didn't treat the dog with a monthly topical because there are no ticks where they live and the didn't think the dog could have fleas either, because they didnt' hang around with other dogs and their cats are strictly indoor. Dog brought in fleas alright, turns out they had rats living in their basement, so not just fleas, icky, scary, city rat fleas! They still don't treat dog with a topical (only when he comes to my house where there are ticks) and he recently had tape worms...a pretty good indication that they still have a flea problem .

I went back to Advantage this year and have had great results. The Frontline Plus just wasn't cutting it anymore.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Don't forget to worm for tapes. If you have a flea infestation you likely also picked up tapeworms. I'm going to have to treat for tapes when this plague is over.

Paula

Comfortis is IT.

I'm scared of Comfortis. Too many reports of complications, plus I use ivermectin as a HW preventative.

I dosed the dogs with Advantage last night and so far I think I'm seeing pretty good results.

I am chicken about Comfortis too. Also Certifect..my vet suggested it, but my old ACD puked like crazy the morning after first application and all the next day...maybe coincidence, but she ordinarily has a cast iron stomach...she never gets sick, so I'm done with that one.