The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse & owner portraits/photography

I'm interested in getting a photo session done of my horse and I, and I'm currently looking at local photographers. I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for - mounted or not, tacked up or not, etc. We have some grassy fields near the barn that I want to use. I'm sort of thinking bareback with a bridle - my horse is very quiet and laid back.

Do you guys have any suggestions or tips? If you have pictures you'd be willing to post I'd LOVE some inspiration . Senior photos, wedding pics, portraits... anything!

Smile

A friend does these kind of portraits. You can see some here - http://www.robynlouise.com/category/beauty-and-beloved/
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Personal opinion so take it for what's it worth, but I think it's unnatural and overly staged to have a photo taken with your horse in a dress. I don't think the juxtaposition of "Trash the dress" works.

I like photos where the owner is in the kind of casual wear that makes sense to have on in a barn setting or your actual riding attire.

I would have the photographer do a documentary style shoot of your day to day horsey interaction. Have her follow you while you fetch your horse, groom your horse, tack up, ride, untack, groom again, graze, feed treats, and then maybe some good conformation shots because those are always nice to have and then the horse being a horse.

I had to do a double take when I read the title: A photographer (internet) friend just asked for feed back on his first ever shoot with horses....

Well especially in the digital age expect a lot of throwaway pictures (he had one that was just very bad, neither owner nor horse had the eyes open, elbows were flapping etc...horrible! ) but he managed a couple of nice shots.
    But it illustrates that having somebody with an eye not just for portraits (he does fine work there) but also a bit horse sense pays off!

However, if the local guy's rates are compatible for the shoot itself ('sitting fee') there is no reason not to give him a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I just had one done a week ago with my gelding and I. I haven't seen any shots yet (she said they would take about 2 weeks to sort through) I did the same as you are describing. Some shots of us with the fencing, some hand grazing, me kissing his nose and then I put my bridle on and went bareback for some shots through the fields under the trees etc.

I wore a plaid shirt and jeans and cowboy boots - even tho by sport I'm a jumper rider - those are the clothes I wear regularly.
    Meet me at the Rainbow Bridge Harley
    May 21, 2004 - February 28, 2006

head over the equinephotogrpahernetwork and look at the horses and humans category under portfolios. Find what you like there, and speak to your potential photogs about doing that type of shoot.

K~2 - those are gorgeous! I just don't think I could ever pull off wearing one of those dresses

I love hearing people's opinions about attire - I'm torn between formal riding clothes, nice jeans+shirt, or a simple dress.

And the few photographers I've looked into have all done horse+human work before - a terrified photographer would be that last thing I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Snaffle123 View Post
    K~2 - those are gorgeous! I just don't think I could ever pull off wearing one of those dresses

I love hearing people's opinions about attire - I'm torn between formal riding clothes, nice jeans+shirt, or a simple dress.
    You can bring multiple outfits and do all three if you want.

take a look at pro photos too, dissect them to decide what you like about any particular photo.

Mary Cornelius has interesting stuff

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

My photographer friend took a few pics of me with my guy a few years back. It was spur of the moment thing (ie I had no hair or makeup and was in scrabby clothes) but they are my favorite pics I have with him. Here is my one:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1&l=82e7d56e28

I also second having a few different "looks" I'm having our engagement shoot done at our farm and bought a gorgeous long gown from Nordstroms and will be wearing a flower crown. My thinking is if you're going to go fancy, might as well commit to it and kind of go over the top! (I'm going for the perfum ad look... haha)

Good luck!

My sister is a photographer so I have the benefit of annoying her on a regular basis to photograph me and my mare:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here is some of her other work:
    http://www.paytonadams.com/g/horse_and_rider

I think it is helpful to find a photographer whose style you love and determine what is most important to you. A good photographer can incorporate these elements even if it isn't their normal style.

My sister is also a photographer (isn't it nice to have family who are photogs!? LOL!) and when we were preparing for my photoshoot with Jake we scoured around for ideas on the internet. We found a ton and didn't even use most of them in the first photoshoot, so we're going to do another one *soon*!

Here is my sister's website/blog:
    http://amandaleighphotos.weebly.com/

You can see a good collection of her work, as well as a few of the horse & human shoots she's done.

You can check out mine here:

www.sararoxannephotography.com

see "Horses & Humans" for portraits.

I have a lot more work on my facebook as well (public link) here:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8701526&type=3

When looking for a photographer, look for one who has specifically worked with horses before, and who's style you like.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.