The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,748

    Default What will happen to Mr. M?

    So, Karen had a pretty spectacular Olympics on a horse that was quite new to her. I imagine, given a few more years, that she could have easily been on that podium. Now with DOC taking over, and KOC saying she is done with team competitions, what will become of this incredible team horse? How old is he? Does he have another games in him, or at least a WEG?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2001
    Location
    Coatesville, Pa.
    Posts
    5,580

    Default

    There have been more comments from KOC and camp that "maybe" she could ride for the US at International competitions.

    And WEG is only 2 years off.

    She is still riding Mandiba at the 2/3 star level. So it's also possible she could just love to compete him.

    ~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    20,508

    Default

    Horse has been at the top for six years. He might have 2014 in him, but it's seriously doubtful that he will still be going in 2016.

    Dumb question. I thought Ms. Mars bought Mr. M, but the BBC said it was the Broussards. Which is correct?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2001
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Dumb question. I thought Ms. Mars bought Mr. M, but the BBC said it was the Broussards. Which is correct?
    He is listed in the USEF database as belonging to Karen and Sarah Kelly, who I believe is Rebecca Broussard's daughter.

    MR. MEDICOTT SYNDICATE Owners:
    O'CONNOR, KAREN (USEF Active) (USHJA Active)
    KELLY, SARAH GRACE (USEF Active)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 26, 2002
    Location
    Jefferson, OH
    Posts
    902

    Default

    I would keep him and continue to ride him at the upper levels while she brings her other horses along. To have formed this much of a partnership in such a short period of time speaks of KOC's ability to work with a horse to suit its needs.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 21, 2009
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Why does Karen have to stop? A selection committee selects teamy people. And with the amount of attrition in the lead up to team outings.... And it is not like she has never been coached by David.

    She should kick on as long as she likes!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2007
    Location
    Napanee ON
    Posts
    5,090

    Default

    I think they should donate him to the Canadian Team



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    Why does Karen have to stop? A selection committee selects teamy people. And with the amount of attrition in the lead up to team outings.... And it is not like she has never been coached by David.

    She should kick on as long as she likes!


    I agree. If she proves herself OBJECTIVELY then she should be on the team. Sadly, her connection to David has to rule her out of a subjective selection (even if it is deserved). She did a great job these last few days and if she continues to build a partnership with this horse then I think it would be foolish to leave her off a team.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2003
    Location
    Happily in Canada
    Posts
    5,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I agree. If she proves herself OBJECTIVELY then she should be on the team. Sadly, her connection to David has to rule her out of a subjective selection (even if it is deserved). She did a great job these last few days and if she continues to build a partnership with this horse then I think it would be foolish to leave her off a team.
    And this should be posted on the tack room walls of every younger up-and-coming rider who complains that they are left off the team due to the "old guard." They need to beat Karen, and Phillip, consistently, then they can earn their spot on the team.
    Blugal

    You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    well for all her talk about retiring from Team competitions after this Olympics, she is quoted in the NYT as saying
    “I’ll continue until someone pulls me aside and says, ‘You’re getting too old for this,’ ” said Karen O’Connor, 54. “And that hasn’t happened yet.”
    I am thinking she will keep riding him
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Was her retirement from team an official requirement for David or did they state that she "would" retire from teams if the USEF required her to do so as a condition of employment for David as coach?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2009
    Posts
    70

    Default Wouldn't It Be A Hoot....

    If she was the new coach for Canada? Talking about keeping it in the family.

    Has there been any word about who is taking David's place?



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    I hope she doesn't have to retire. That would be great if she can still be on the team, I just hope if that happens people won't go on about how she slept her way to the top



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    13,846

    Default

    You can still ride internationally and not ride on the team (Bruce did it for ages).

    I frankly don't care one way or the other if she keeps going for the team or not (as long as her selection is obviously a good choice), but I think just because she may or may not retire from team contention does not mean she needs to sell her good horse.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    You can still ride internationally and not ride on the team (Bruce did it for ages).

    I frankly don't care one way or the other if she keeps going for the team or not (as long as her selection is obviously a good choice), but I think just because she may or may not retire from team contention does not mean she needs to sell her good horse.
    No, of course she shouldn't have to. I hope she doesn't. I really enjoy the combination and think they could do some really awesome stuff the more they solidify their partnership, but you never know what owners want. I didn't realize she owned part of the syndicate, so that is certainly in her favour. If she didn't own part, then who knows what the owners would have wanted. As we know, it sure can suck to have horses pulled out from under you. I hope this doesn't happen to Karen.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    11,005

    Default

    I thought she made it very clear that she would step aside if David was appointed coach, and so I think she needs to keep her word and do so. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone else to compete Mr. M.

    An even better idea, let's get a different coach, and keep KOC riding for the US.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    13,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I thought she made it very clear that she would step aside if David was appointed coach, and so I think she needs to keep her word and do so. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone else to compete Mr. M.

    An even better idea, let's get a different coach, and keep KOC riding for the US.
    But, again, she doesn't have to stop riding at the top (Kentucky, Burghley, Badminton, etc). She just won't make a bid for a team. There is no reason for her to retire from the ULs....she can just ride for her own glory and whatnot. And keep her nice horse for herself.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I thought she made it very clear that she would step aside if David was appointed coach, and so I think she needs to keep her word and do so. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find someone else to compete Mr. M.

    An even better idea, let's get a different coach, and keep KOC riding for the US.

    I thought she made it very clear that she would step aside IF it was required by the USEF in the conditions of an offer of employment to David. There is a big difference.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2004
    Posts
    11,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    But, again, she doesn't have to stop riding at the top (Kentucky, Burghley, Badminton, etc). She just won't make a bid for a team. There is no reason for her to retire from the ULs....she can just ride for her own glory and whatnot. And keep her nice horse for herself.
    That works, if Mr. M's other owner is content with that plan.

    Snoopy I realize there is a difference, I thought she said she was stepping aside as a condition of his appointment, but I am not sure about that.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,546

    Default

    But does anyone know if that was, indeed, a condition placed on the offer? I guess we will know in two years time when the next championship team is named. As I said, if she warrants a spot based on a total objective criteria, then there should be no issue with her riding on the team. She should not, however, have the benefit of a subjective selection no matter if she deserves it or not....for obvious reasons.



Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Had This Happen?
    By bluemoonfarms in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jun. 6, 2012, 06:48 PM
  2. How did that happen???
    By 3phase in forum Eventing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr. 2, 2011, 11:22 PM
  3. If you had this happen, what would YOU think?
    By JoZ in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jan. 16, 2011, 04:40 PM
  4. Does this happen often?
    By BlueMerle in forum Off Course
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jul. 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
  5. what would happen
    By flea in forum Eventing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr. 6, 2009, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness