The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Custom Saddle vs. Available Options?

Hi all,
    I have been having trouble looking for a saddle that will fit my awkward leg. The top of my leg is much longer than the bottom of my leg. So, my leg usually hangs over where the back of the flap meets the seat. We went to Bevals to get a saddle fitted and they recommended a BZ Natural or Beval Natural due to their more forward flaps.

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to which saddle may work for me?

Thanks so much

I'm not a Beval fan, and neither is my mare, so I can't comment there. The Beval I've tried was hard and flat. I found the Natural more comfortable, but still not right for me or the horse. The leather and craftsmanship are nice, though.

I like a softer, more supportive seat for me and fuller panels for the horse. I love my Antares!!!

I would think any of the custom saddlers can handle this. I expect this is a good portion of what they do, building the right fit for horse and rider.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Well, that's not a big deal, I'd say there is a large amount of people who have longer-than-average hip to knee ratio, myself included.

Find what kinds of shapes will work for your horse/horse you will be using said saddle on. Then go from there, and find out if whatever brand you want has a long/forward flap option.

Also, go to a tack store, and sit in every.single.saddle that you can. That will give you an idea of what brands have shorter or longer standard flap.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    I'm not a Beval fan, and neither is my mare, so I can't comment there. The Beval I've tried was hard and flat. I found the Natural more comfortable, but still not right for me or the horse. The leather and craftsmanship are nice, though.

I like a softer, more supportive seat for me and fuller panels for the horse. I love my Antares!!!
    The BZ Natural is a much different ride than the Natural, it has a very comfy deep seat and soft leather, rides much more like the Antares you mention for less money.

If OP has the budget for custom, that's one option but there are lots of saddles out there with a more forward flap, if that's all that is needed.