The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spur Newbie: Help me pick a spur legal for all 3 phases...clueless!

I will admit I've ridden for 25 years, schooled 3rd level dressage, evented, did hunters, started umpteen babies and I've never, ever worn a spur. I'm completely clueless as to how to proceed!

My pony is 13.3hh and it's hard to get my leg on her as she doesn't have much of a barrel. My trainer suggested I get a spur to help refine my aids and give me a little more length to make contact with her when I need it. I'm looking for a spur I can do all 3 phases in, that is not severe or harsh and will just help to refine my aides. What kind should I start with? How do I know what length I need? I see that roweled are the gentlest but not jumping legal. Are the Rollerball style a good start? I have a very quiet, safe leg but I don't want to risk bomping the little peanut by accident while I learn to use them. Thanks for any advice on buying my very first spurs! I feel like such a lost beginner! LOL
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I ride in a roweled spur at home, I think its called a starburst. I dont think it is legal at an event in dressage or USDF ddressage. At a dressage show only, I will ride in a smooth rowel spur which is actually legal at eventing for dressage. So at an event I just use a prince of whales- I think thats the name- so that I dont have to worry about finding and changing the spurs out. I ride in the longest legal length, but not sure what that actually is. I will be curious to what other do.

I think the roller balls are a nice place to start. I use them on Toby on the flat because I need spurs, but he can be sharp sometimes (over fences, I use practically a dummy spur....they're ridiculously tiny).

I like the soft touch roller spurs, like this..
    http://www.thunderbirdtackshop.com/i...tions/410.jpeg

They're pretty forgiving as they roll rather than jab, my TB is very sensitive and over reacts to even small dummy spurs, but he's very happy in the rollers for all everyday and all three phases.

Has anyone ever used the spurs made out of composite material that you can interchange the ends? I got a set free with a pair of stirrups I ordered. Are they legal for showing? Yes, I read the rules but would like input. thanks, rt

Thank you! I think I'll try the Stubben Soft Touch Rollerballs. They have excellent reviews and sound like the gentle aid I'm going for!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    Thank you! I think I'll try the Stubben Soft Touch Rollerballs. They have excellent reviews and sound like the gentle aid I'm going for!

Those are what I use daily (on a chestnut TB mare). I like them a lot.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

If they are sensitive for a chestnut TB mare then I know they'll be gentle enough for my draft pony! LOL

I love roller balls. I have all 3 lengths, depending on whether I'm at home, schooling, or at a show.

As far as the Stubben rollerball length goes what is the determining factor when I choose? 20mm or 35mm?

Depending on how your leg sits, a swan neck might be appropriate as it elevates the point of contact. THis is useful if your heel falls well below the barrel making contact with a spur difficult. They are not a small spur though, so practice is necessary to make sure your using it correctly and might only suit your needs for dressage (onger stirrup length) and you may want a simple Prince of Wales to jump.

I don't care for the gimicky nature of the roller balls personally, I like a nice rounded POW if over 1/2" and if under that length, then the basic POW is just find since its hardly more than a nudge anyway.

I always used a POW on my dead sided appendix mare. I want to start using a spur on my OTTB (just so it doesn't surprise him so much if I do need it one day, and if I ever went to a clinic with a bnt who required them) so perhaps ill try the rollerball. That might be just the ticket!
    ~Over or Through~

A Blog of Percy's Journey!