The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you tow with your Tundra?

DH and I are strongly considering trading our current tow vehicle for a 2012 Toyota Tundra crewcab. The one we're considering has the 5.7L, 4x4, and tow package. We're weighing our options between this truck or upgrading to a heavier F250. We dont want to buy more truck than we really need though. I currently have a steel Sundowner 2h bumper pull, no DR but could possibly switch to something like a 3horse slant GN in the next few years. I can see us needing to tow a smaller 25-30 HP tractor too. The reviews on here for the Tundra seem very positive.

So I'm curious what type of trailer you tow with your Tundra? Steel/aluminum? How many horses/how much weight?? Do you ever feel "under-trucked"?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I have a 5.7L Tundra with a tow package as well, bought it slightly used 3 years ago. I tow a Featherlite 2 horse GN (all aluminum) trailer. The truck tows the trailer well and handles the hills of Western NY and Central PA well. I am comfortable with one horse in the trailer (have both a Friesian and Hanoverian ...both about 16.3 ) up and down hills and back roads. I have put two horses in the trailer for short hauls but if I ever need to haul two horses regularly I'll have to think about upgrading the truck.
    DH and I towed the trailer to Florida and back but without the horses. We did have it fairly well loaded with household supplies (and three cats in large cages) but not the same as large moving horses.
    The limiting factor for a Tundra with a GN is the payload of the truck as a GN puts more weight directly on the truck than a BP. The engine can handle the load fine.
    Be sure to know the truck towing specs and the weights of the trailers you are considering.
    All that being said we really like our Tundra. It's been very reliable so far, handles well for such a large vehicle, and is comfortable.

I drive a Sequoia, which is on the Tundra platform. I pull a 2-horse aluminum Kingston; I can pull the trailer at its capacity (one constant horse is a draft cross), but I'm not sure I could pull anything more than that with this truck.

Thanks so much for the responses. It really does help to hear *what* people are towing with a particular vehicle rather than just hearing "it tows well and I love it" I've learned that everyone's ideas of a good towing vehicle vary greatly so comparing apples to apples will make this choice a lot easier!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I have a 2008 Tundra that I have used to haul a Trail-et (aluminum and steel) two horse with dressing room. I have hauled two 16 hand (1250 lbs each) horses to TN from FL and back again. And moved a lot of furniture in it on other trips. Also, hauled two smaller (15 hand) horses up the mountain for trail riding while I lived in TN. The long hauls were fine but I was a bit concerned about the mountain drive and wouldn't want to do that again.

2010 here, 2 horse steel with a dressing room, usually just 1 horse, have hauled 2. I love it - but the longest trip we've done is about 600 miles and it's flat, flat, flat here. My husband drives the truck as his everyday vehicle and loves it.

Default Waiting for EBY 2H GN to Arrive

I currently own a 2h BP that I pull w/ 2010 Tundra just like yours. It hauls the BP like a dream. I just bought an EBY 2H GN w/ dressing room. That is the limit for the Tundra. I was advised against buying anything larger. If I had to do it over, I would buy a bigger truck. I love the Tundra but I would rather not be at the towing limits. I usually only haul one horse over flat country so the Tundra will be fine. I don't think it will handle a 3H trailer.

I have a 2010 Tundra. I tow a 2-horse BP w/ dressing room all-aluminum Sundowner. Just local stuff, within a few hours. I barely know the trailer is back there, when there's only 1 horse in it. Then again, I'm more used to trailering with my old 2000 Tundra, which was a smaller truck (size and engine).
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

2 horse BP with dressing room and side ramp. Generally one horse. Any trips with a lot of hills or more than an hour I take the F350.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Thumbs up

2011 Tundra (5.7L V8 4x4 Double Cab) - I tow a Hawk 2H BP w/ DR (~3500 lbs empty, IIRC). Never had a problem, though I usually tow either just my pony (860 lbs) or pony & friend's TB. Longest I've trailered is 400 mi +/- (northern VA to western NY) with the pony (at the time over 900 lbs) and all the stuff I was taking back to college.
    One time, my trainer's truck & GN broke down at a show so I came and we loaded her two horses (one was a 17h TB and another ~16h ?paint? I think; not two little guys) onto my rig and she drove back and told me she was jealous of how easily my truck pulled them (and she would know better than I since my truck's the only one I've ever hauled with).

Keep in mind that Toyota uses the SAE J2807 standard to calculate towing capacity; I'm not sure if Ford does.
    Bottom line: I love my Tundra. Plan on keeping it for the next ten years (or more ;).

I had a 2010 Tundra 4x4 iForce. Pulled a steel 3h with dressing room fully loaded (2 16ish hand Standardbreds and my draftx moose) without a problem. Also made a haul from north jersey to NEPA to south jersey back to north jersey, part of the journey empty and the rest of it with a TB in the back. Barely noticed the trailer once we got moving (the trailer DOES weigh as much as Jupiter). My mom also used it to move to Georgia without issue.

I loved that truck, I miss it terribly. Our only issue was a seized engine at 750 miles that Toyota took care of no problem...unlike Ford who refused to replace our turbocharger for the third time in less than 40k miles while still under the warranty period.

Default Just my experience

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    DH and I are strongly considering trading our current tow vehicle for a 2012 Toyota Tundra crewcab. The one we're considering has the 5.7L, 4x4, and tow package. We're weighing our options between this truck or upgrading to a heavier F250. We dont want to buy more truck than we really need though. I currently have a steel Sundowner 2h bumper pull, no DR but could possibly switch to something like a 3horse slant GN in the next few years. I can see us needing to tow a smaller 25-30 HP tractor too. The reviews on here for the Tundra seem very positive.

So I'm curious what type of trailer you tow with your Tundra? Steel/aluminum? How many horses/how much weight?? Do you ever feel "under-trucked"?

" I have a 2012 Tundra 5.7 4x4 w\ 07 Keifer Built Gen 3, 3 horse slant gooseneck. Weighs 4000 lbs. I have two standard breds and a tank of a quarter horse. Warmblood sized. Together they do about 7650 lbs. With tack and water add another 1000. Well under the 10,800 limit Tundra pulls. It's an 7.6 x 7 wide. 40" gate. I paid around $12k so it didn't kill the budget.
    The thing to watch is your tongue weight. Keep it low. Even if you're under max weight , you can still go over the tongue weight easily. In an accident they ask that. If you're over , you're hurting.

The Keiffer is a small step below a Four Star and a step above everything else. Probably on par with a better Sundowner. Pulls like a dream. Backs easy and the horses took straight to it. No problems. We practice loading at least once a month so, no accidents there. I love it.
    I get about 10 MPG on tow.

OP we have the exact Tundra you are looking to buy! I really wanted a Ford but this was much cheaper with MUCH better gas mileage. We tow an aluminum eclipse 2+1 bumper pull with two 16.2+ horses in it. Pulls like a charm
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Hubby has a 2007 Tundra - 5.7 V8. I have a Toyota Rav. I have a Brenderup 2 horse trailer and 2 Quarterhorses. Pulls it like a dream but then so does my Rav.

Hubby has pulled a 32 foot bp travel trailer. He said it pulled just fine but he wouldn't want to haul a bigger trailer than that with it. He freaking LOVES this truck. He has had a 2000 Tundra, GMC, Ford and a Chevy truck. None did he love like this one. It looks almost like brand new. I am going to show him this thread. He insists he can't haul a gn with his Tundra and I want a LQ in the worst way!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

I can't quit my 2001 Tundra, which pulls a steel 20-foot stock trailer loaded with pony, cart, carriage, and ATV to CDE's. I try to stick to drives without mountains, but when I moved last year, we rolled over the Appalachians with no problem. Really, I'd rather have a 3/4 or one-ton for this load, but the Tundra is paid for and just keeps trucking. I love its civilized manners.

Good trailer brakes and controller are essential, of course.

I have a 2010 5.7 V8 4x4 and tow a 16' steel bumper pull stock trailer with 2 horses. Lots of power,no problems with hills and good handling. You do have to watch which model you get - mine is a regular cab and has a higher towing capacity than the extended cab, I guess due to the extra weight of the bigger cab. I have a short bed, that and the shorter hood makes it easier to manuver in tight places. If you get the short bed, and want a goose neck trailer, make sure it has a tapered nose, and you may need an offset gooseneck hitch.

I have the truck you are looking at. I am pulling a 2H Bison BP, weighing about 2300 pounds. I usually have 1 horse in it (16.1 TB) but have moved 2 as well on occasion. If I just have the little pony back there I can't even feel him. I don't know that I'd want to take 2 big horses through the mountains all day with this setup, but for what I am doing it works great! If I had a 3 horse trailer I would get a bigger truck. It would be pushing the capacity to the limit when full and I don't think that's a safe plan.

I am very happy with this truck