The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Betty sent in the 2nd string...

If you recall my little volunteer barncat Betty, who turned out to be a He and sadly had to be put down....

Well, it seems Betty has sent a replacement.
    Nice-looking young boy - definitely male! - who has been showing up for meals and so far my permanent barncat does not seem to object.

He's a good-sized cat, looks to have some Siamese in him w/blue eyes and shading on an ivory coat.
    I'm calling him Stash because before he showed me he is All Boy, I noticed a moustache-shaped marking & felt it was a safe non-gender-specific choice

He seems to be very healthy so I'm thinking he may live somewhere near or is a recent dumpee?

My Questions is:
    Once he has tamed down to be catchable, do I have him neutered?
    This could be pretty soon as he's already meowing for food and lets me get quite close - although no petting yet.
    If he "belongs" to someone else I still think he needs to be de-nutted.
    Agreed?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I say go for it. You might catch him and find out the deed has already been done.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Crack those nuts! An intact barn cat is a recipe for liberally dousing of all objects with urine...eeesh!

Can you call around your neighborhood to see if anyone is the owner or maybe drop a note in mailboxes??

I figure if someone's cat is sleeping over and eating meals at my house, they are my responsibility at that point.

Neuter away!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Geld 'em ALL! Oh wait...maybe I'm just hormonal....nope. I stand by my first thought. Testosterone poisoning is a terrible thing.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Snip, snip. If someone owns him and cares, well then, they shouldn't let him wander.

There was a cat that lived in the next barn over from mine at the track. Every day he came over and peed on something, usually my hay. One day he sprayed on my saddle right in front of me. I called my vet and had him neutered on the tailgate of his truck in exchange for a pizza. I neglected to tell him the cat was very much NOT mine. I kept him in the tack room until the tell tale wobbliness wore off then released him. If anybody noticed I didn't hear about it.

Most definitely neuter. It helps minimize the spraying as well as keeps him from reproducing.

I had the show up barn cat that I was sure lived up the road for years but kind of adopted me. First I got him a rabies shot. A short while later he showed up with an eye that had been severely damaged in some type of fight. I had to take him to have the eye removed and had him neutered at the same time.

He ultimately has he ended up a house cat and never wanders any more. No one has ever come looking for him.

Fate has sent him to you so that those nuts could disappear! You can't argue with Fate!!!

I always say...everybody's cuter when they've been neutered.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I called my vet and had him neutered on the tailgate of his truck in exchange for a pizza.
    This is why I laugh when the local vets around here want $50 first to "establish a doctor patient relationship" and then $200+ on top for the actual procedure.

My vet keeps the lights on just fine and his standard fee for a cat neuter is a six pack. He says it costs him, and I quote, $1 in anesthesia.

Our local SPCA has a dickens of a time with their cats. Maybe there would be less of an overpopulation problem if neutering services weren't marked up 20,000%.

This was an equine vet but obviously he learned small animals in school too. I laughed hysterically when I walked into his office which really is just that, an office and found him neutering a jack russell on his desk. He just happened to be on the phone so he had the phone squished between his head and shoulder and a teeny little testicle in the forceps in one hand and a scalpel in the other hand. Multi tasking at it's best!

Oh, so glad Betty sent a replacement! Definitely neuter away.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    There was a cat that lived in the next barn over from mine at the track. Every day he came over and peed on something, usually my hay. One day he sprayed on my saddle right in front of me. I called my vet and had him neutered on the tailgate of his truck in exchange for a pizza. I neglected to tell him the cat was very much NOT mine. I kept him in the tack room until the tell tale wobbliness wore off then released him. If anybody noticed I didn't hear about it.

I doubt anybody will miss the offspring he did not produce after that accident...

fix'em early, because if they have been spraying for a while, they don't give up the habit entirely....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Mine's a horse vet too.
    He too has just an office, his clinic, and no staff. He hires an anesthesiologist as necessary when he schedules clinic surgeries.

I called him once and he picked up the phone with: "hi, I'm doing surgery on a horse. Can I call yoh back later when I'm a little less stressed?"
    Lol, they don't make em like thar anymore.

I worked for a professor/ vet in college who said he neutered cats by sticking them headfirst into a laceup boot Same guy loved telling everyone how he neutered lambs and piglets - slit, slit, then yank,'em out with his teeth.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Neutering toms is pretty straightforward. Unlike castrations where the testicles and scrotum are removed, they make a little slit, pop those bad boys out and maybe don't even have to lay a stitch to close. That's why toms still look entire.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    ... Unlike castrations where the testicles and scrotum are removed...

Paula
    What animal gets the sac removed?? Never came across that before.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

My dog, your horse. Have a look. No sack (scrotum).

Paula

Nah, it doesn't work like that. I have seen dozens of castrations and none had the scrotum removed. They just shrink down in time with nothing filling them up.

LIB! I even called my tech friend to ask and you're right! Darnit, I thought I knew something. I even very carefully looked between my bewildered dog's legs. My tech friend laughed at me and said he was a young castration so it all shrunk up.

Sigh.

Paula