The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starting Previcoxx to help old mare

Wanna share your stories? Looking for some hope...

My vet just prescribed 1/2 a pill a day of Previcoxx for my 28 year old mare. She was on 1-2 scoops of bute a day, but it started giving her stomach issues. I was giving her a tube of Equioxx before the farrier would come or if I had to trailer her to the vet and she responded VERY well to it. Just one tube of Equioxx would give her about 5-6 really good days, but the vet said Previcoxx was cheaper for everyday use and basically the same thing (even though it's labeled for dogs.)

I would love to hear if this drug has helped out other senior citizens. My mare was doing great up until last month and now she is having a hard time walking these days; the farrier and vet are doing what they can to keep her comfortable. We are going to put her in a heartbar shoe in a few days to see if that helps too. I've had this mare for 20 years and I don't want to put her down without giving her a fighting chance.
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

We have some senior citizen school horses that have been helped with that medication. Give it a chance to see results.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

I've had great luck with Previcoxx for my 26 YO grand prix horse. I started him on it after he had a very bad fall (with resulting bony fragmentation of the third and greater trochanter). It has helped him tremendously - he is able to do more, and do it more comfortably than before his accident, which was a phenomenal and wonderful surprise. He has had no adverse effects whatsoever. I really believe it's made him feel much, much better. He's on one full tablet, once per day.

I use Previcoxx with my 24 year old man. I think it does a lot of good for him. We still trot around bareback a couple of times a week and he occasionally canters around. He is completely comfortable in the pasture.

Have used it on 2 horses, might as well have given them a sugar cube, does absolutely nothing for mine, not even at the starting dose of 3 57mg pills a day.

Absolutely it helps! We usually start by giving two 57 mg tabs (or 1/2 227 mg tab) for three days and then cut back to 1 57 mg tab (or 1/4 227 mg tab) everyday. I've had such good luck with it that once it got in their systems I've been able to cut back a couple of the geezers to every other day dosing.

While no NSAID is free of all gastric side effects I've yet to have one be bothered by the firocoxib even with long term use.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I got some for my 32 yr old pasture sound gelding for the occasions when the ground is extra hard or extra soft and taxes his stifle and/or pastern and he's sore for a few days. This happens every 2 or 3 months, he just has a few sore days if the footing is extreme in either direction.

He has had major issues with ulcers in the past and I was hoping it would be easier on his tummy.

The first couple times I used it it worked great for him, one 57mg tab per day for 2 days, then a half tab for 2 days.

The most recent time I gave it to him however, when we had drought conditions just a few weeks ago and the ground was rock hard, he was showing very early signs of ulcers by the next morning. So no more for him
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Our older mare is getting this, 57mg daily. I think she is moving easier, covers more ground when turned out, than she did without it. She seems to have no issues in reacting to the medicine.

She is 27yrs, has severe arthritus, calcium in the bones, in her neck, which she shows with lameness in front. I am happy with the meds for her.

I started my 28 year old gelding--love of my life--on previcox this winter. He was having trouble getting up. It was heartbreaking to watch. I gave him previcox and the next day he got up on the first try!!

He is still good and still gets ridden lightly.

I started Previcox earlier this spring on my old gelding. He is not terrible bad but age was catching up. He also gets Pentosan which does in my opinion return his normal stride length.

The thing I do not like about Previcox is my vet has the horse on a 2wks on 2 wks off. Previcox takes 2-3 days to show much difference and seems to really start "wearing off " at 12 days after last dose. The gives the old man 4-5 days that I do notice a difference.

Vet will be visiting soon and I will chat with him about this. This horse has no issues on bute and for the hardest part of winter he may be better served by bute.

Just a word of caution regarding daily use of Previcox...

I do not have a horse on previcox currently but my dog vet recently prescribed it for my golden with a bad knee for after long hikes. The vet required a blood panel to check kidney and liver functions prior to starting her on it and also again in a few months. I thought this was interesting seeing as I know alot of people have used Previcox for their horses but I have only heard of a handful that ran bloodtests beforehand ( also while using it ) so I did a little more research and sure enough the dog vet was right.

Merial labels Equioxx for daily use UP TO 14 days. After 30 days toxicity levels were seen in test studies that Merial performed. This may be why one posters vet says 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
    http://www.equioxx.com/pdfs/eqx_past...g_info2010.pdf

Obviously this might not be a concern for people with retired oldsters who are giving daily Previcox/Equioxx for quality of life purposes, I know it wouldn't be much of a concern for me at that point. I am glad there is another option out there for keeping older horses comfy in their golden years besides bute.
    However, there are some vets prescribing it for much younger horses for regular use and in that case it absolutely should be a concern as it was a concern for me for my Golden who is only 6 despite the fact she has a calcified arthritic knee from an injury when she was a puppy.

Just wanted to pass along the FYI since I have not seen the mention of toxicity too much on this board in regards to previcox.

Good luck with your horse OP and I hope it works well for you!

Thanks for all the posts and thanks for the head's up LookinSouth about the toxicity levels. I have two Labradors myself and one has arthritis and I have to be careful how much Rimadyl I give him. I actually prefer to give my dogs Deramaxx, but it is super expensive. From what I understand, horses metabolize NSAIDs much differently than dogs which is why a half dose of Previcoxx for a dog works like a full dose on a horse. I think people with younger horses definitely have to consider and weigh the risks.

My old lady is 28 and I'm just trying to keep her comfortable and pasture-sound. She gets U-Gard as a preventive now for stomach ulcers from being on bute everyday. I'm sure getting bute everyday was not good for her and having Previcoxx now won't be any better, but the benefits outweigh the risks.

We started switching our oldies-but-goodies (25+) who needed a little maintenance Bute off of that and onto Previcoxx about 2 years ago, and now I don't know how we ever managed without it! It completely solved the picky-eater and borderline-ulcer problems you get with Bute, the horses don't even know they're eating it, and the expense is not that bad. I consider it a much safer Bute alternative with a lot to recommend it, and possibly even more effective for those "ancients" with stiff joints.

My mare has been on Previcox for almost 2 years. She has ring bone and was lame, esp, when the ground was hard. Ever since she has been on Previcox, she has been sound and enjoys hacks on a regular basis. Amazing!! We tried cutting back to a pill every other day, but the gimp came back. 57 mg/day, no gimp. My BO just sticks it in her mouth every morning.

I noticed that the manufacturer is steadily increasing the price though. It is now costing me $104 for 60 pills. It started at about $80... but in Canada, Equioxx is not approved so I wonder if they are trying to make up for that.

My 21-year old former polo pony has been on Previcoxx for about a month, 1 tablet a day. It was prescribed for multi-focal arthritis. She was achy in her hind end (who could blame her?) and compensating by working harder in front, which made her lame. I've just started riding her again, and she "tells" me that she's feeling good. She eats it without a problem, and she is pretty sensitive to medicine-taste. I feel that it is helpful for her. This past weekend, she seemed to get a bit more oomph out of each gallop stride while she was playing.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    My mare has been on Previcox for almost 2 years. She has ring bone and was lame, esp, when the ground was hard. Ever since she has been on Previcox, she has been sound and enjoys hacks on a regular basis. Amazing!! We tried cutting back to a pill every other day, but the gimp came back. 57 mg/day, no gimp. My BO just sticks it in her mouth every morning.

I noticed that the manufacturer is steadily increasing the price though. It is now costing me $104 for 60 pills. It started at about $80... but in Canada, Equioxx is not approved so I wonder if they are trying to make up for that.
    Has anyone heard when this might be coming off-patent?

I have an older mare that has been on Previcox for several years-lost count. I have tried cutting back but it wasn't successful to do so. So far no observable ill effects.

since it's a fairly new product, it's not going off -patent for awhile.
    Taking it day by day!

For those of you wondering about price, here's some interesting research I dug up. My horse vet charged me $4 a pill. My dog vet charges $3.50 a pill. You can buy Previcoxx in a 60ct bottle on Valley Vet for $150.00 (if you can get a vet call in a script) which comes out to $2.50 a pill. Unfortunately, I live in TX and none of the vets will cooperate with online retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekDressageQueen View Post
    For those of you wondering about price, here's some interesting research I dug up. My horse vet charged me $4 a pill. My dog vet charges $3.50 a pill. You can buy Previcoxx in a 60ct bottle on Valley Vet for $150.00 (if you can get a vet call in a script) which comes out to $2.50 a pill. Unfortunately, I live in TX and none of the vets will cooperate with online retailers.
    Will your vet write you a traditional script on paper? My dog vet wrote a script on paper and I was able to fill it at my local Stop and Shop ( they carry some pet Rx meds and what they don't have in stock they will order for you online and ship directly to your house). The cost of 30 227 mg pills was 68.00 with a coupon the pharmacist found online while placing the order. My dog only gets 1/2 a 227mg pill before and after a longer hike so it was well worth the cost as it seems to help her. For a horse that would be 120 doses for 68.00 so much more cost effective than what I see people are paying here??

I just started my 20 year old mare on Previcoxx about 2 weeks ago and I have seen an amazing difference in her ability to get up after lying down. She used to be so lame upon arising that I thought I might have to have her put down. Now she just walks off normally. I give her 1/4 of a 227mg tablet every morning wedged into an apple slice (she is picky about anything odd in her feed and this works well to disguise the taste). I may try cutting the dose to every other day but must say that, so far, I am absolutely delighted with the results.