The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    What!? Ian Stark isn't just some rider picking up a gig. Furthermore, the accent is Scotish. Equibrit, where are you? Oh, that's right, you weren't watching on NBC.
    Ian Stark is definitely not "just some rider" - good grief he hasn't been retired for that long, have people forgotten him already? And although I didn't hear the commentary he is Scotish which makes me think you are right and its him.

What!? Ian Stark isn't just some rider picking up a gig. .
    I don't mean it ugly, just that the voice I heard was obviously a trained, professional commentator not someone who was doing it less than full time or picked it up recently--like someone who has not been "retired for that long." If Ian Stark has given up course designing et. al. that would be news to me.

MST isn't "just some rider" either, but she stinks. Commentating isn't just some skill you're good at because you have expereince on the back of a horse. If that was Ian he's missed his calling in life...seriously.

According to the NBC commentators they were park was to be left as undisturbed as possible. Which explains why one water fence was built in an existing pool and the other water will placed in a natural depression. Tree branches were to be left as is - no trimming.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Don't think it's Ian. The accent is wrong. It was also pretty obvious that the commentator was highly experieced at the job. Not some rider picking up a gig.

Here's Mike Tucker. I think he sounds right.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZCj...F280BE4C1094D4
    I don't think so. The voice in this clip is much "sharper" - maybe not the right word, but crisper/more emphasis. The voice online was very smooth and not so harshly punctuated/emphasized.

This is driving me crazy!! I can't even figure out who to ask. NBC doesn't let you post any questions on their FB page.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Wonder if there is a way to get a trivia statistic: How many of the riders that came in under the time lost their helmet covers.

It was becoming amusing, the camera would cut back to some rider and a shiny silver skull cap would be gleaming.

It would be more amusing to walk the course and see the tree branches festooned with helmet covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I don't think so. The voice in this clip is much "sharper" - maybe not the right word, but crisper/more emphasis. The voice online was very smooth and not so harshly punctuated/emphasized.

This is driving me crazy!! I can't even figure out who to ask. NBC doesn't let you post any questions on their FB page.
    He was the icing on the cake of amazing five hours of cross country coverage for me.
    When I read people saying Tim Ryan earlier and read his bio, it just didn't make sense. Would love to know myself, I'm just 'chuffed to bits' with him! (hope I said that right...)
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Well, they just had 20 seconds or so on NBC prime time- just showing Zara Phillips finishing with her cousins looking on, and noting GB in second and Phillips in 10th.

But better than years gone by where all the did was show the falls in prime time.

Germany has done something very special.
    All 5 had no jump penalties, time, 2 of them had no times.
    Outstanding I would say.
    Its very close, but that shows how good the top is.

Lets hope everybody passes tomorrow and the best will win.

What a great competition.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

I cross my fingers, legs and toes for Ingrid Klimke, just a class act Lady.

MJ, it would be outstanding if he could nail the triple with Sam, like Pippa and the Grand Slam. There are so few realy historic achievments, that would be the one I would like to see tomorrow.
    But IK that would be a kiker.

Don't care much about the team stuff, I am more in the indivudual stuff

Ingrid
    Ostholt
    Toddy

That would make me drink a beer or two
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

I think it was Mary King who galloped along for a bit with some foliage stuck in her helmet cover.

The NBC tv commentators mentioned that the tree branches were intentionally left untrimmed. Not to mess with the riders, but because the course builders were not supposed to mess with the grounds too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    That says he is the commentor for the BBC, not NBC online. Unless the NBC live online feed is using his commentary? Can that be confirmed?
    It was posted way back in this thread (ie. early this morning) that NBC's online feed is from the BBC.

It was pretty much agreed that the UK's Mike Tucker was the commentator who stole the show.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    It was posted way back in this thread (ie. early this morning) that NBC's online feed is from the BBC.
    "It was posted that" does not constitute proof on a COTH forum.

I posted that the commentator was Tucker. After listening to Stark's accent, he's got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    According to the AP, "there were no serious injuries reported among the other fallen riders or horses."

However, a Canadian horse has now been pulled from the competition and retired.

http://eventingnation.com/home/amist...ndon-tear.html

The bad news continues for Team Canada this evening with word that Michelle Mueller’s horse Amistad has been withdrawn for the Olympics and will be retired from competing. Michelle Mueller has released the following statement on her website:

“After conferring with the Canadian Team Vet, Amistad will be withdrawn from the Olympic competition due to a torn tendon and will be retired from competing.“
    I am so devastated for Michele and the team. I can't wait to give her a big hug when she comes home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    I am so devastated for Michele and the team. I can't wait to give her a big hug when she comes home.
    Yesterday really was devastating for us. It's a bit hard to believe.

But I have to say, SO PROUD of Jessica Phoenix for climbing her way into the individual SJ's and finishing 22nd overall. We really couldn't have asked for a better go from her and Exponential.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I obviously don't know cross country, so could someone tell me what the white stuff is on some of the horses' legs?

Quote Originally Posted by RNWTDQ View Post
    I obviously don't know cross country, so could someone tell me what the white stuff is on some of the horses' legs?
    That is eventing grease, supposed to help the horses legs slide more easily over the fence if they hit it. I thought it was on its way out, some don't use it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RNWTDQ View Post
    Probably "eventing grease" which encourages solid objects/brush to slide past. Good for if you have to bank a jump.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

"It was posted that" does not constitute proof on a COTH forum.

I posted that the commentator was Tucker. After listening to Stark's accent, he's got my vote.
    Ian Stark and Mike Tucker were the BBC's commentators.
    For what it's worth Ian doesn't have a very strong Scottish accent (any more - I believe it was very broad when he was a younster ) either on TV or in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    Ian Stark and Mike Tucker were the BBC's commentators.
    For what it's worth Ian doesn't have a very strong Scottish accent (any more - I believe it was very broad when he was a younster ) either on TV or in real life.
    Which was the the one who just couldn't believe anyone wouldn't take all the direct routes?

Which was the one, late in the order of go, who began chastising riders who botched Fence #3 that pony club riders would cruise over that combo?

I think I heard mostly Tucker. Whoever it was, he was most informative and entertaining. I really enjoyed hearing a lot of tidbits, such as Mark Todd schooling his teammate's horse when she was injured.