The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to TIE standing wraps?

I have a perhaps obvious question, but hopefully no one holds it against me!

I'm taking care of a horse who is in standing wraps that need to be changed on a daily basis. The first two days, the wraps had velcro on the ends like I'm familiar with. However, when I changed them out this morning the end of the wraps were ties and not velcro!

I have never seen wraps without velcro before (sorry), and was sort of at a loss as to how to tie them appropriately. I wrapped the strands in opposite directions, kept them flat and left the tie with reasonable tension without cinching down, but figured I should probably figure out what the best way to tie them is so I don't potentially cause a bandage bow or something that cuts off circulation.

I just spent some time looking on the internet, but can't find a good resource on how to tie standing wraps. Can anyone help me out?

Don't.
    Back in the day, whenever I got a set of those damn bandages with ties, I'd cut them off.
    Since these aren't yours, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Use masking tape or bandage pins to secure them.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I didn't think standing wraps with ties were very popular any longer for this reason. They can cut off circulation. I recall the Pony Club manuals advising against ever using them.

Thanks for the input! I'll scrounge around the house for some masking tape or something to tape them down with instead of using the ties!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Don't.
    Back in the day, whenever I got a set of those damn bandages with ties, I'd cut them off.
    Since these aren't yours, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Use masking tape or bandage pins to secure them.
    This!!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I use insulating tape - but be careful with that too, its easy to get it too tight as well. the idea is that the tape stuck to the banadge and itself is what holds the bandage in place, not the tightness of the insulating / masking tape.

First thing that popped into my head when I read the header was tape!!

Don't tie those stupid things.

Also, as a snug band of tape will do the same as a tie, spiral tape over bandage-not one loop around.
    "Just because you have the RIGHT to do something, it doesn't mean it's the RIGHT thing to do."

You jump in your time machine and find some with Velcro. Sorry you're having to deal with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Not worth it in this day and age, but we used to tie a simple, not-too-tight surgeon's/square knot, which if properly tied can be undone easily, and secure with tape.

Now I'd chuck them in the garbage with no regrets.
    Click here before you buy.

Hahaha, thanks everyone for the replies!

Fortunately, I found some masking tape this morning and was able to secure them without tying. It's probably not my prettiest piece of work, but I feel less concerned about them causing any actual damage.

The padding for the first two days were pillow pads, but the last two days they were actual cloths that were folded over. I am sure the owner has been involved with horses for longer than I've been alive so she's very familiar with wraps and all the "older" versions of doing so. I, of course, was busy early this past week so when she asked if I knew how to wrap legs I broke my golden rule of pet-sitting (even if you know how to do it, watch how the owner does it so you do it to their expectations) and made the mistake of assuming that she would just have the materials I'm familiar with. Will not make that mistake again anytime soon!

Unless you are covering a sloppy wound there is no reason you can't use the bandages more than once. Or wash them and use them again if they are too messy to reset.

Vet wrap or electrical tape. I always overwrap with electrical tape, just be careful about the tension when applying.

Wow, blast from the past. I can't imagine anyone is making them like that anymore, the owner must have pulled those out from waay back in the tack room.

When you useing tape I am always careful to pull off whatever amount of tape I will need to circle the leg with some overlap and then wrap it around the bandage without causing tension. If you attach the tape to the end of the bandage and then run the whole roll around the leg you can create too much tension. However, I usually tape over the velcro, in your case there will be nothing to hold up the bandage while you pull off the piece of tape. You could use a small piece of tape to just hold the bandage in place while you tear off the appropriate length of tape.

People used to use bandage pins as well (sort of like safety pins). Maybe if the owner still has tie wraps she might still have some bandage pins kicking around as well lol...
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I put the tape from before the end of the stand wrap, and tucked the ties behind it as I wrapped it around the leg (not tight, just enough to get it to stay put). Then I went down the leg and back up to make sure everything stuck on and didn't slide during the day - overall the tape went about 1/3 - 1/2 the length of the standing wrap. I felt pretty comfortable that there weren't any specific pressure points or areas where it was constricting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Wow, blast from the past. I can't imagine anyone is making them like that anymore, the owner must have pulled those out from waay back in the tack room.

People used to use bandage pins as well (sort of like safety pins). Maybe if the owner still has tie wraps she might still have some bandage pins kicking around as well lol...
    Be shocked & amazed then, that's the only set up I've used, but then again my teacher is 80+. I have done cotton and cheese cloth. Last couple of years the sheet cotton has been crap, more like poly batting than the fuzzy cotton they used to make.

Safety pins work well too.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate